Harbin Ice and Snow Festival

• 14 replies
Harbin Ice and Snow Festival
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:24:41 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've had a couple of people ask me about details for the festival this year, so I thought I'd post a general thread on it for anyone who wants some information.

For anyone who has been under a rock and doesnt know what the festival is... During the winter holiday, Harbin transforms into and amazing Winter Wonderland. Complete with gigantic ice sculptures carved from blocks of ice lifted from the SongHua river. The sculptures have coloured lights inserted in them at the time of creation so that at night the figures come alive with magical lighting features.

Well worth the trip.

So far the details are a little sketchy, however, at present the believed start date is the 5th January. Last year it was more like mid to late Jan because of the late arrival of winter.

There were some photos of last years on the old saloon, if you want to have a squiz.

I'll post changes in infor if they arise. In the meantime, if I can give you anymore info, just let me know.

LT

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Shroomy

Re: Harbin Ice and Snow Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:40:38 PM »
Just what was on my mind.  I am planning to come to Harbin between Christmas and New Year's (yes, my boss is closing the school so he can go spend Christmas with his kids) to the puzzlement of everyone Chinese.  I desperately want to see the Ice Festival, but may not have time other than this trip, when, of course, it's not on yet.  Is there any chance of walking around to watch it going up, or have you been there long enough to say?  Any recommendations for a place to stay with non-disgusting rooms on a FT's salary?  What else do you highly recommend?  I will be travelling with my fluent-English speaking Chinese friend, so getting around should be good. 

If I get a weekend off in January, how long does the Festival usually last?

Thanks. agagagagag
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »
LT I wrote you earlier about Harbin.  'shroomy, you may be able to meet up with some others. 

Looks like 2 (maybe 3) will be coming up there on the 28th Dec and returning on the 31st.  Times not finalized yet but close.  We can't come up in Jan as one of us is returning to the USA so this will be the only opportunity.  How much will be ready by then???  We were told by our FAO we have to book our tickets asap.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:10:42 PM »
The missus and I will be making the trip for the opening week-end.  I hope that it starts on time as we leave for India the following week-end (one month in a warm place).
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 09:39:06 PM »
Ok, lets see...

The festival runs for anywhere from 15 to 30 days, give or take, depending on how long and cold the winter remains. Preparation is usually done weeks beforhand. As you wander through the city you see the sculptures on the median strips, in parks, out the front of some businesses and hotels all under construction. They also have a few smaller ones along central street which are worth looking at.

You have the major attractions like Ice World and Snow World which won't open until the start date. Prices to enter those last year were Y150 per person or with your teachers card,Y75 .
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:50:45 PM by Lone Traveller »
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »
Accommodation:

There's plenty of "cheap and nasty's" around if you don't mind staying in those. (Personally, I'm a buget traveller, not a cheapskate traveller and I value my personal hygene so I stay away from these....  aaaaaaaaaa - however if you want them I'll so some leg work for you).

The Long Yun Hotel is opposite the train station. Easy access. Y180 for a double. Breakfast included. Clean. About a 3 star I would say. Good security and one of the reception ladies does speak a little English. Though not much. (my pick)

The Kunlun Hotel. Also near the train station. Y380 per double. Very swanky. Continental breakfast included (really good, by the way). Bowling alley (lots of fun!  bfbfbfbfbf). Secure.

The Holiday Inn. Central Street. Expensive! approx Y300 - Y400(not sure so price to be confirmed). Breakfast included. Great location, but a little to rich for my blood.

The Shangri-La. Standard Shangri-La rates. It's a little further away from all the action but still and Int'l hotel with Int'l standards so you know you'll be taken care of there.

I'd advise you to book hotel rooms early as they do get quite busy over the break and you don't want to miss out. Need any help, let me know.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 05:44:31 AM »
I know Holiday Inn has promotions at times - I stayed there once for like 200 a night back in 2003. Their prices haven't changed much since then and they still do promotions.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:12:28 PM »
Can you buy really large long johns in Harbin? 

bgh and I are coming up on 28th. Hope we can get together. Asked FAO to book hotel you recommended.  I will let you know.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:43:23 PM »
Depends on what you call "really large".... a lot of the stores are used to catering for the Russian populus so they do carry some larger sizes....

(if you want you can PM me the details and I'll ask around for you)

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »
Rumour has it there is no snow for the snow festival and no ice in river for the ice festival.  What gives.

One of our teachers is there this weekend and said there is nada and will probably fly back tomorrow instead of staying 2 more days.

Should we cancel our flight?

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
Ok so, here it is.

At the moment there is no snow. (Thanks to winter being late this year, again). They have begun the ice sculptures though. I was in central street this morning and the ones along there are underway. Also the park adjacent have begun theirs. I've been told that one of the parks on sun island opened last Wed or Thurs.

So it is all going ahead. Granted it is prettier with the snow falling but I guess we can't always have what we want.  ananananan

Keep in mind too that the festival doesn't officially start till Jan 5th.... so if we look at it from a Chinese perspective.... they still have plenty of time  ahahahahah

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:11:06 PM »
We were told they changed the start date to Dec 28th - the day we are arriving.  Is the official start date still the 5th???

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 05:24:01 AM »
Keep in mind too that the festival doesn't officially start till Jan 5th.... so if we look at it from a Chinese perspective.... they still have plenty of time  rolllaugh

Which calendar?  Solar or lunar??

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »
Solar

George

• My view of China
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 06:47:01 PM »
A solar calendar? What a great idea. Save the Planet!! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/