Free Calls from the States......

• 0 replies
Free Calls from the States......
« on: December 16, 2007, 08:28:03 PM »
Hi Group:
 I just came across this while surfing the net. It wouldn't do anyone any good calling from China or outside the U.S. but It could save some money for anyone calling from the U.S. to overseas.
 I don't know if it works as I haven't tried it myself but goodluck and maybe someone can check it out and post more.
 Here's a copy of what I found:

Michael Gartenberg from Jupiter Research spotted this odd phone service for making free international calls, you call a number in Iowa (712-858-8883) and according to the site… “When the gateway answers, enter 011 then the country code and number you want to reach (mobile users, do not hit SEND - the call will go through on it’s own). Wait a few moments for your call to ring through and then enjoy your free call.”[via] - Link.

As Michael said, if there’s a catch, I can’t find one either (I called our MAKE Japan office, worked fine) - so, get your phone phreak on if you want to dabble and make some free international calls.

Here’s a how-to of sorts so you don’t need to pay for the Iowa call… use Skype to make a free local call to the Iowa # (in the USA calls are free within the USA) then just dial out internationally for free… Skype on a Mac sometimes has DTMF issues, but usually on a PC it works fine - try it out and post on up in the comments. I tried using Project Gizmo and it worked fine too…

Ps. I would think if they don't have Skype,any cell phone with free long distance should work too.

Re: Free Calls from the States......
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »
Update.....
 I just wanted to let everyone know that I tried this and called a friend in Italy using my cell phone. When I received my bill all it shows is the made here in the States. I didn't get charged for calling Italy !
 If you have anyone living in the U.S. that calls you,tell them to give it a try and hopefully save them some money too!