Windows 8 and internet connection

• 10 replies

A-Train

Windows 8 and internet connection
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
UGH!!!  Spent 3 hours signing up for and paying for a cool 10M internet service only to have the installer tell me he can not do it on Windows 8. I know it's b.s., (or at least think it is because I use my laptop at school, Starbuck's etc.), but there it is.

Any thoughts on the matter?  I mean as to how I should liquidate the technician, not use Windows 8 for internet connections.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Windows 8 and internet connection
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
what type of connection is it? Cable, ADSL, 3G....? Please don't say "dial up"
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

A-Train

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
what type of connection is it? Cable, ADSL, 3G....? Please don't say "dial up"

LOL.  I'm a dinosaur, but not yet that bad.  As far as I know it's just a broadband connection with 10G capability.  I had 8G last year at the same apartment with a different carrier and an older laptop with Windows 7.

The kid who was installing was eager to get done with the job, but he did call in the problem while he was there so I wonder if his opinion was confirmed. 

I guess I'll have to go to China Unicom office again, bring a bigger Chinese person with me and try to wade trough the red tape again.

I have to admit, I have learned to hate Windows 8 for several reasons and would not have chosen it.  When I bought the new laptop I had little choice in the matter.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
A couple of suggestions I've had so far:

1) Use "Virtual Box" to run 8 as 7.

2) Replace my Windows 8 version with a copy of Windows 7.

Not sure what the collateral damage will be with each of these options, but I do like the idea of getting back to Windows 7.

Pearl S. Buck

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
well, connections require basic information. as long as you have it, you don't need an install software.

ADSL: username / password

Another option is to get a router. Put the configuration information in the router and then you don't have to worry about what OS you're using. Your computer can then connect to the router. Pretty easy and standard way of doing things.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

A-Train

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Hmmm.  I have a router for wireless connection that I used all of last year with my old computer.  I almost forced it on the installer yesterday but he would have none of it and would only plug directly into the computer. I'm sure he thought that a router was beyond the scope of his responsibilities and would only cause work and frustration. It's probably beyond my understanding.

So, you're saying the username and password information the installer was trying to use for my broadband connection can be used input to the router?

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
I'm not tech savvy but I was connected to the Uni network with no probs on my Windows 8.

Yesterday I got my router for wifi and still no problems setting it up even tho the guy helping - well, doing it all really, - had never seen W8 before.. Used no software changes, just pressed a few buttons and there I was. Had been warned that my Very Personal Notices might create a problem but it's all go.
I've fallen in love with the world.....

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »
I went home in July with a Vista notebook, and returned yesterday (same apartment) with a Win8 notebook.  Plugged in to the old router and everything including internet was up immediately without skipping a beat.  I had really thought I'd have to find my old router password or even reinstall everything.  Thankfully no sweat this time. 

Protip:  Don't wake up in a hotel with sketchy wifi, and assume there is a problem with your machine as opposed to the crappy hotel wifi.  In my defense, it was Early In The Morning.  But I went to the settings and tried various fixes to no avail.  I then saw something that said "refresh settings" but didn't read it carefully enough, assuming it's akin to refreshing a web page.  It's not.  It basically saves your files (not programs!) and reinstalls Windows 8, including all the bloatware you thought you got rid of already.  The downloaded install files were still there I found out, thankfully, otherwise it would have been much more of a time-waster/hassle than it was. 

A-Train

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:27 AM »
Once I found an installer who would do a little more than just turn on the internet at the building, it was no problem connecting the computer to the router.  However, I cannot go directly to the broadband with an ethernet cable with my Windows 8 computer.  That will probably bite me some day, but it's fine for now.

I still dislike Windows 8 and it makes no sense to have it if you don't have a touch screen, but I'm sure Microsoft's marketing department insisted...

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
I hate it too, so far. I don't have a touch screen: I went with a high resolution screen for the same price as a moderate resolution screen with touch capability.  I don't like tiles and plan to use this machine as a desktop anyway.  Here's to hoping the Octoberish update to Win8 will make me like it more (hate it less).  I do like having a new notebook though: I'm still in love with the speed and screen resolution.  That'll pass but it's something for the mean time.

A-Train

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
I suddenly have more unwanted programs piggybacking onto applications like Chrome that I don't want; Visual Bee and other tool bars.  I can delete them through "Settings" but they are back when I open Chrome the next time and I can't find them in the program list in "Uninstaller". 

Skype is especially different and annoying without any apparent improvements under Windows 8.  But, change purely for the sake of change is AlWAYS a good thing, right?

Pearl S. Buck