Palinisms

• 61 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Palinisms
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
Just as we had George W.'s stumble tongue we can now check the erudition of the next wanna-be.

Sarah’s Pompom Palaver

By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: October 4, 2008

WASHINGTON
Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

I had hoped I was finally done with acting as an interpreter for politicians whose relationship with the English language was tumultuous.

There’s W.’s gummy grammar, of course, like the classic, “Is our children learning?” And covering the first Bush White House required doing simultaneous translation for a president who never met a personal pronoun he liked or a wacky non sequitur he could resist.

Poppy Bush drew comparisons to Warren G. Harding, whose prose reminded H. L. Mencken of “a string of wet sponges. ... It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it.” When Harding died, E. E. Cummings lamented, “The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead.”

Being mush-mouthed helped give the patrician Bushes the common touch. As Alistair Cooke observed, “Americans seem to be more comfortable with Republican presidents because they share the common frailty of muddled syntax and because, when they attempt eloquence, they do tend to spout a kind of Frontier Baroque.”

Darn right. And that, doggone it, brings us to a shout-out for the latest virtuoso of Frontier Baroque, bless her heart, the governor of the Last Frontier. Her reward’s in heaven.

At Sarah Palin’s old church in Wasilla, they spoke in tongues. Maybe that’s where she picked it up.

Hillary Clinton and John McCain ran against Barack Obama by sneering that their prose was meatier than The One’s poetry. Sarah’s running against the Democrat’s highfalutin eloquence by speakin’ in homespun haikus.

We could, following her strenuously folksy debate performance, wonder when elite became a bad thing in America. Navy Seals are elite, and they get lots of training so they can swim underwater and invade a foreign country, but if you’re governing the country that dispatches the Seals, it’s not O.K. to be elite? Can likable still trump knowledgeable at such a vulnerable crossroads for the country?

Did Joe Biden have to rhetorically rush over to Home Depot before Sarah could once more brandish “a little bit of reality from Wasilla Main Street there brought to Washington, D.C.?”

With her pompom patois and sing-songy jingoism, Palin can bridge contradictory ideas that lead nowhere: One minute she promises to get “greater oversight” by government; the next, she lectures: “Government, you know, you’re not always a solution. In fact, too often you’re the problem.”

Talking at the debate about how she would “positively affect the impacts” of the climate change for which she’s loath to acknowledge human culpability, she did a dizzying verbal loop-de-loop: “With the impacts of climate change, what we can do about that, as governor, I was the first governor to form a climate change subcabinet to start dealing with the impacts.” That was, miraculously, richer with content than an answer she gave Katie Couric: “You know, there are man’s activities that can be contributed to the issues that we’re dealing with now, with these impacts.”

At another point, she channeled Alicia Silverstone debating in “Clueless,” asserting, “Nuclear weaponry, of course, would be the be-all, end-all of just too many people in too many parts of our planet.” (Mostly the end-all.)

A political jukebox, she drowned out Biden’s specifics, offering lifestyle as substance. “In the middle class of America, which is where Todd and I have been, you know, all our lives,” she said, making the middle class sound like it has its own ZIP code, superior to 90210 because “real” rules.

Sometimes, her sentences have a Yoda-like — “When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not” — splendor. When she was asked by Couric if she’d ever negotiated with the Russians, the governor replied that when Putin “rears his head” he is headed for Alaska. Then she uttered yet another sentence that defies diagramming: “It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there.”

Reared heads reared themselves again at the debate, when she said that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac “were starting to really kind of rear the head of abuse.”

She dangles gerunds, mangles prepositions, randomly exiles nouns and verbs and also — “also” is her favorite vamping word — uses verbs better left as nouns, as in, “If Americans so bless us and privilege us with the opportunity of serving them,” or how she tried to “progress the agenda.”

Poppy Bush dropped personal pronouns and launched straight into verbs because he was minding his mother’s admonition against “the big I.” Palin, by contrast, uses a heck of a lot of language to praise herself as a fresh face with new ideas who has “joined this team that is a team of mavericks.” True mavericks don’t brand themselves.

Re: Palinisms
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
The editor in me wants to beat her senseless with a dictionary...or maybe the Chicago Manual of Style.

If McCain wins, I will seriously rethink my plan to move back to the US.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »

If McCain wins, I will seriously rethink my plan to move back to the US.

I will renounce my citizenship and proceed with an unfortunately pricey and time consuming contingency plan of becoming a national of another English-speaking country located in Australasia.

I'm not kidding. I've had my fill with the slow, cancerous path of theocracy and supreme idioticy that America has been careening down like that hilarious Thomas The Tank Engine gag in DaDan's picture so wonderfully illustrates. My peers in the Reagan-era worshiping Palin generation, of which I unfortunately fall into the tail end of despite sharing none of their beliefs; and their hellspawn so deeply disturb and disgust me.

The electorate giving McPailn the white house would only put the fork in the last vestiges of faith and goodwill I hold towards my nation of birth and put the spear into my ass to get working on life as a new, productive citizen of a country that still has a shred of dignity and self respect and sanity about it.

blblblblbl apapapapap

*not to mention self preservation

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
Spaghetti,

Repressing your feelings can be bad for your emotional health.  Stop holding back, being so reserved, and tell us how you really feel.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
I love the trains pic.

The scary thing is, the three most powerful nations on the planet are probably the USA (more often than not led by a folksy simpleton), Russia (led by gangsters) and China (led by... well, I don't need to spell that out here). It's much easier to count the countries that have good quality governments than the ones that don't.

In the very enjoyable (if you like that sort of thing) TV series Battlestar Galactica, the human race is almost wiped out by psychopathic robots who've decided we don't deserve to exist. They kind of have a point.

I doubt that on average the population of the USA are more or less stupid than anybody else. It must just be quirk of the culture that being stupid is widely seen as being more authentic and attractive than being intelligent.

Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:05:46 AM »
It must just be quirk of the culture that being stupid is widely seen as being more authentic and attractive than being intelligent.

In Q'ld we coped with this view for 21 years, then finally got smart and tossed the idiot out.  In Oz federal gov't we do tend to go for the more erudite.  But the rednecks will vote for the Pauline Hansons and her ilk.  I think voting patterns are actually a national IQ test.  Vote for idiots = simpletons.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
This very brief clip was recorded recently at an Obama rally that his running mate, Joe Biden, was attending in Florida. The man on the podium is a former banker and a lifelong republican* who jumped ship and claims he's going to vote for Obama.

Pay very, very careful attention to the audio of his introduction. ahahahahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtAwL5vvJsk

* - it shows, in this video! Perhaps this will shed some light on how some people can embrace Dummy Palin as a viable public official. Lots of "like minded" people flock together bibibibibi
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »
Oh dear. bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 06:38:31 AM »
It's easy to get 200 year old politicians confused.   ahahahahah

Now if someone had mixed up Obama and Palin, that would have been really weird.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:16:44 AM by Spaghetti »
Haruki Murakami

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
I guess we can figure out which cup this assclown will pick at 7-11, once he's done picking up his white hood and sheets from the dry cleaners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKUovpF9LWU

llllllllll
Haruki Murakami

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
Dingbat Palin confuses her own supporters with protesters, scolds them while stumping:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081014/ap_on_el_pr/palin;_ylt=AovNMe7a2TuL.rSjZthKdZ5snwcF

ahahahahah
Haruki Murakami

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »
Haruki Murakami

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »
I'll be honest & just say it...
I'm Sure each of us has had nearly the same thought.

it is Sunday, October 2008, the 19th day of this month. I haven't slept much but that is ok because it's Sunday, 19th of Oct.... the year of 2008.

yes, October 2000 And 8th year since they have been telling me what the date is on at least a daily bases. (3 in baseball, then yer home)
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...