'What is your strength as a teacher?'

• 12 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
'What is your strength as a teacher?'
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:32 AM »
I did an interview at a training centre today for some extra work and was quite shocked because it was like a proper interview with a real English guy which I don't think I've had for years, I think it went ok except he asked me that question which embarrassingly had me stumped (especially shameful because I do a class on how to be interviewed and tell my students that this question is one they MUST prepare for lol)

Anyway, it did get me thinking about what my strength as a teacher is.

In retrospect I should have said that I am very adaptable and having taught in all sorts of different situations I am good at dealing with the wide variety of needs that students have. I think

I'm still a bit stumped to be honest, the guy was really really wanting me to come up with a good answer on the spot and I couldn't (I just said that I am very student focussed and good at relating to learners or some bollocks like that which didn't mean anything :()

What is yours?

Re: 'What is your strength as a teacher?'
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:52:35 AM »
I'd say my strength is being creative and being able to come up with engaging games and activities related to the topic(s) at hand.

I also have various weaknesses, but I'm working on 'em!  bfbfbfbfbf

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »
I usually turn up on time, I'm always sober in the mornings and I wear sunglasses so the female students are less aware I'm staring at their breasts. If I pass out in the lesson, I always manage to set some work first, and I give my students a great discount when I'm selling them drugs.

Actually, I once knew a teacher who was pretty much like that.

Seriously, though, it's a fatuous question, like "Where do you see yourself in five years time?" The purpose of an interview is to evaluate your professional strengths and weaknesses with a series of questions. Asking you to evaluate yourself is either just lazy or an irritating mind-game designed to see how much of a arse-licker you're likely to be if they hire you.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
I usually turn up on time, I'm always sober in the mornings and I wear sunglasses so the female students are less aware I'm staring at their breasts. If I pass out in the lesson, I always manage to set some work first, and I give my students a great discount when I'm selling them drugs.

Actually, I once knew a teacher who was pretty much like that.

Seriously, though, it's a fatuous question, like "Where do you see yourself in five years time?" The purpose of an interview is to evaluate your professional strengths and weaknesses with a series of questions. Asking you to evaluate yourself is either just lazy or an irritating mind-game designed to see how much of a arse-licker you're likely to be if they hire you.

Yeah one of the reasons I was a bit surprised was cos my experience of interviews for training centres it's usually been turning up on time with a clean shirt on got you the job lol

Strengths and weaknesses a classic question, it allows you to highlight what you think they might not pick up in the interview and it also allows them to get some idea of your self awareness....

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
I did an interview at a training centre today for some extra work and was quite shocked because it was like a proper interview with a real English guy which I don't think I've had for years,

shit, China be Changin'  ahahahahah ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
I don't know...I like teaching...I tend to be able to find good materials that both entertain, educate and challenge my students...I like being prepared...I try to make sure that all the students in my class learn something new or learn to read a story from, to them, hitherto unknown perspectives in each class...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
I can generate complete bullshit fast on my feet. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
I was about to say that I am resourceful and adaptable, but I think you put it more succinctly, RD.

I recall something my father once told me. He said that a good sergeant has to have 3 qualities; the ability to get people to do what they don't want to, and do it quickly; the ability to recognise real danger and deal with it quickly; and the ability to keep a straight face when officers ask damn fool questions.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »
It's a pity you can't go with "JEEZ I DON"T KNOW CAN YOU AT LEAST TELL ME WHAT'S EXPECTED IN THIS JOB YOUR INTERVIEWING ME FOR?!"

What's your strength as an X doesn't ring up great alarm bells. It suggests the interviewer is, I don't know, making coffee table conversation. What's your greatest fear? How's your digestion? When was your last bowel movement? He should be describing your responsibilities and asking you to say why you can assume them.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
I have never killed one of my students...  Some I have wanted to......  :alcoholic:

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
I have never killed one of my students...  Some I have wanted to......  :alcoholic:

More or less sums up my strength. I can resist the urge to hit a student. I'm also adept at pulling BS out of nowhere.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

CWL

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »

So true. 

That's the way many interviews for teaching jobs are now occuring in the States.  If you really want the job, just tell them what they want to hear.  However, that is so hard for me.  LOL!

Often the questions are written out on paper and an interview panel will ask you questions in the order as they appear on the paper.  Sometimes, you will be provided a copy of the paper so that you can see the questions that are being asked.  It's all BS.

When I see that paper of questions, I realize that job is not for me.

Sometimes, just to be a pain in the ass, I will ask the questioner if they could please amplify or expand upon a particular point within the question that is being asked.  It really confuses the hell out of most of them.  Sometimes they will just move on to the next question after admitting that they are unsure of what the original question was really asking.

So yes, they are often looking for arse-lickers.

Have fun.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »
In the past I've said "grammar", figuring that they will be surprised by the answer and won't be prepared to come up with a G question on the spot.

ahahahahah ahahahahah nice. don't ever pull that shit with me, I'll make you parse a nearby sentence! ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪