What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

AMonk

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:49 AM »
It would make me sound gay.

Not if you prefaced the remarks by saying, "Remember that young woman we brought in here when we had that snowstorm?  Well, she said to tell you that she thinks you are....."

Moderation....in most things...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2008, 03:09:47 AM »
It's a trap Con.

The words don't sound gay, sort of, but doing what they're asking is definitly gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2008, 04:23:12 AM »
I must say though, Peter and Pierre.... that sounds like a nice couple.

« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »
Yes, you are cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb

Just began the small task of reading pretty much everything written in England between 1700 and 1900. Have to start somewhere and Samuel Richardson's "Clarissa" is a good place to do that. A 1000 page epistolary novel...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
Just began a new trilogy series sent to me by my daughter written by Fiona McIntosh called the Quickening.  So far okay for fantasy, especially since Fiona is an Australian.  Who woulda thunk?
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
Have just started reading "Behind The Lines". For three years Andrew Carroll travelled throughout the United States and around the world to seek out the most powerful and unforgettable letters ever written during the U.S. wars. These include American and foreign war letters.There are vivid descriptions of guerrilla warfare dating back to the American Revolution. Fierce exchanges between brothers who fought on opposite sides of the Civl War. Secret messages to loved ones written by POWs while in captivity. Final words by troops who knew they were dying etc etc. LEST WE FORGET!!

« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »
Just started reading Nathan Englander's "The Ministry of Special Cases". It's really riveting.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2008, 01:51:14 AM »
"The Ministry of Special Cases"

That title sounds Harry Potter-ish to me...
I am still learning. Michelangelo

old34

« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2008, 01:57:47 AM »
Or Monty Python-ish
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2008, 02:19:34 AM »
Actually, it's neither. It's a very grim tale. No flying brooms or cutesy dragons. Lots of corruption and such.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2008, 02:43:57 AM »
Lots of corruption and such.
So, a teaching book for living in China?  ahahahahah
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
I forgot to post I've been reading The Exquisite by Laird Hunt (a former teacher of mine) for about a week now. It's quite good... I'm almost finished.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
I'm re-reading the best photography book I've read - Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye".

Plus reading Larry's Party, by Carol Shields (Canadian author) and Strange But True; Stories from Japan by Jack Seward.  (And my Chinese textbook!)

joe.thinker

• kaleidoscope sex on a sea of cat fur
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
I just started a book called "Notes From an Exhibition." Bought it at the Bookworm (Suzhou) literary festival. Brilliant writing.
something with upside down question marks, accents under "c" and prolific punctuation will do

« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »
I got through over half of one of the funniest novels I've ever read, a Chinese effort called "Fortres Beseiged".  It's a Chinese novel, titled after a French proverb: "Marriage is like a fortress beseiged: those who are outside want to get in, and those who are inside long to break out."  It follows the thoughts of both men and women, capturing the petty, silly, foolish and misguided thoughts of the characters.

The Bookworm got a copy, and I'm almost to the part where I was when I left it in a cab almost two years ago.  Absolute riot!
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com