What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #630 on: August 12, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
Just started reading "Blood Meridian"...as a newly converted Bloomite, I had too, as he praises is tremendously in one of his books...it's one of the most brutal books I have ever read, where nothing good ever happens to anyone and those who try to be good gets punished...I got kind of put off by "No Country For Old Men" but this book has gotten me re-evaluating my stance on Cormac McCarthy..

Now, I only have to exert the will-power to not buy "A Dance With Dragons" and have it downloaded to my kindle...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Borkya

« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
I ust finished re-reading the Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper. That series is understated and under appreciated in today's pop culture world, but is really good.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:51 AM »
I love the Dark Is Rising I read it nearly every year.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #633 on: August 14, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
Weak..sooo weak...I caved, found a torrent and downloaded "A Dance With Dragons"...almost done reading it...Tyrion Lannister is one of my top ten favourite literary characters. agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #634 on: August 14, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »
Don't know if I will ever find the time to read that, but on TV at least he is a great character, and gets to deliver some wicked lines. Must be fun to play him!

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #635 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
I recently read The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. always kind of dismissed it as a "chick book", but obviously 5 years in China kind of increased it's appeal to me. It's an absolutely fabulous read! Anyone who has dealt with chinese women in the past, whether it is a girlfriend, friend, co-worker, neighbour or whatever...will find themselves shaking their heads and saying, "Oh God, that's SO true!"

Borkya

« Reply #636 on: August 18, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
Blindness by Jose Saramago. It's interesting because I just finisjed reading Lord of the Flies and the books are basically the same thing, only one is an island full of little boys and the other is an asylum full of blind people.

« Reply #637 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
That bastard George RR Martin writes literary crack.  I read all the extant Song of Ice and Fire books, even the tiresome Feast for Crows, and it's going to be years before he writes the last two books!

Currently reading various of the Ender books by Orson (Awesome) Scott Card.  Read Ender's Game, then Speaker for the Dead, now on Xenocide.  Claustrophobic, philosophical, family-hating, spare and modestly bizarre.

I discovered too that William Gibson is still writing.  So next on the reading list will be Pattern Recognition, then maybe the next two, Spook Country and Zero History.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #638 on: August 18, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Just finished Infinity's Shore and got stared on Heaven's Reach last night.  David Brin rocks!!!
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #639 on: August 19, 2011, 05:37:39 AM »

Ah the Postman guy yeah that was a good read.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #640 on: August 19, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Started E.F.Benson's "Queen Lucia" yesterday. It is extremely funny, if one likes subtle and mean British satire agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #641 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
I am currently reading Great Expectations. I would like to put a plug in for a graduate of the Writers Workshop at my own University of Iowa, Justin Cronin. Last summer he released a hell of a vampire book, The Passage. If you want your vampires the way they should be, that is actually scary monsters and not emo posers, then give it a whirl. Also a great read for fans of Stephen King epics such as The Stand or people that like other apocalyptic tales.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #642 on: August 19, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

Ah the Postman guy yeah that was a good read.

Not sure I could handle re-reading The Postman after what Kevin Costner did to it. aaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #643 on: August 20, 2011, 01:22:54 AM »
How fortunate that I didn't see that then,EL
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #644 on: August 22, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »
Just started reading "Blood Meridian"...as a newly converted Bloomite, I had too, as he praises is tremendously in one of his books...it's one of the most brutal books I have ever read, where nothing good ever happens to anyone and those who try to be good gets punished...I got kind of put off by "No Country For Old Men" but this book has gotten me re-evaluating my stance on Cormac McCarthy..
I'm reading Blood Meridian for the third time this year. What a book. I enjoyed No Country a bit less (though found it much better than the film adaptation), and very much disliked The Road.

In which book does Bloom talk about Blood Meridian? I found an interview with him about the book…and I think you should crop down the photo of Prof Bloom and make it into your new avatar.