What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

George

• My view of China
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
Sorry on. Can't help you. I lent that book to someone and it hasn't come back yet, so I can't look it up. Good read, though. I also got a Lisa See book as a gift. Basically, yer average whodunnit, set in China...for extra flavour.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Yes, George, that was me you lent it to.  llllllllll  I'll post the name tomorrow.

I forgot!  I popped down to Bookworm the other night to read peacefully, and they were having a reading by Andy Williams, who wrote The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure and The Emperor's Bones.  There a third book out, hence his reading, but the sticker price is Y180.  aoaoaoaoao
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »
Yes, George, that was me you lent it to
afafafafaf
Gotcha!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »
I'm reading a Russian-English dictionary to beat Jorge in Scrabulous!  ahahahahah

P.S. I'm joking. I'm reading Modern Bride magazine because I want to make a dress for upcoming Latin Charity Ball.

Acjade

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
I took a short break from the eighteenth century yesterday, sometimes one does need to read something a bit lighter than Locke and Swift, and started a book called "The Heart-shaped Box" by newcomer Joe Hill. It is amazing.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
I was looking for examples of flash fiction for my P/G Lit class and came across this gem.
Hilary Jenkins "Learning the Western Alphabet".

A set of flash fiction stories told from the point of view of a Chinese student and an FT. My students enjoyed them - especially "Green Ghost".

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/LearAlph.shtml
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:41:17 PM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2007, 11:56:11 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it. 

I just checked out One Hundred Years of Solitude.  It figures in nearly all of my friends' favourites list, including Raoul's and half of y'all.  The copy is small, with appallingly tiny font, so this will be a little grueling, but great lit's great lit.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2007, 04:28:19 AM »
"The Heroin Diaries: a year in the life of a shattered rock star" by Nikki Sixx

amazing journey inside the mind and tribulations of an addict

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2007, 05:14:27 AM »
Finished "The Moonstone" and have now tucked into "The Woman in White". 9 Dickens novels, all wonderful Oxford University Press editions, arrived yesterday.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2007, 04:53:18 PM »
Journey to the West, Monkey King is insane! I love it!

The things we touch have no permanence.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2007, 02:53:36 PM »
Read Ha Jin's 'In the Pond' last night.  Interesting read set in the early years after the revolution. 

But I am curious to know why my Dean sent me an SMS at 1:15am asking me if I was still awake. Was he walking home and saw my light on, did he just take a punt in the dark?

Bought Chinese-English versions of "The Little Prince", "Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam'  and Tagore's "Stray Birds" yesterday.  Plus a dictionary of Chinese idioms used in different fields (politics, economics etc).  There is a new bookshop near the uni, and it was offering good discounts.  Plus it has a lounge area at the back that they gave me cards to enter, so I can sit and read comfortably. Should I introduce the concept of (free) coffee and cake to them?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:00:44 PM by Lotus Eater »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2007, 01:49:01 AM »
Gao Xingjian's "Buying a fishing rod for my grandfather".  Nice collection of short stories by the Chinese Nobel Lit. winner.  Gives interesting insight into some behaviours.  "The Accident" was especially good.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2007, 06:06:08 AM »
Finished "Black" by Christopher Whitcomb (thanks DS - and I'm now looking for "White"), plus The Little Prince.  Half way through Life of Pi - and it's good!!  Lovely writing.

« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2007, 06:59:59 AM »
I am currently reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White, a classic King Arthur story.