Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapult

• 129 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapul
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2009, 03:24:04 AM »
He rambles/rants, starting by saying something innocuous, then "f***in' c***s", then tries to tie the two things together, only to lose the thread of what he was trying to say.  Every minute or so he bends forward and slaps his head.  I'm convinced he has schizophrenia, ...

I am not competent to diagnose and don't have enough information anyway, but that sounds more like Tourette's syndrome. Both the cursing and the head-slapping are common with that. I knew someone with severe, incapacitating, Tourette's in Canada. This guy seems similar, but if he has Tourette's, it is a far milder case.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/tourette.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:35:53 AM by Pashley »
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapult
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:09 AM »
The grotty little man who used to be here has moved on to another uni not too far from here.  Students from there had him for the first time today.  Reports from there say he is telling them the same old stories (although with swine fever around, he has added that he used to have  pig farm!), his degrees now all come from Oxford, and he's told them about his 3 wives.

He told them the "newspaper and Magazine Analysis' class he is supposed to teach them is crap and he won't teach it, he threw out the TA he was given and told him that they would take it in turns to teach the class (ie he won't teach them next week - it will be the TA's turn, so he won't go to class!!).

The students are giving him a two week trial and will then report him to the admin.  The sooner the better!!

Re: Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapult
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
told him that they would take it in turns to teach the class (ie he won't teach them next week - it will be the TA's turn, so he won't go to class!!)

Let me know if that works. I keep threatening my TA the same thing. The other day she said OK, she'd probably do better

I chased her down the hall, the little shit princess!
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Turino

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Quote from: Day Dreamer on Today at 02:02:11 PM
Quote from: Lotus Eater on Yesterday at 02:02:09 PM
told him that they would take it in turns to teach the class (ie he won't teach them next week - it will be the TA's turn, so he won't go to class!!)

Let me know if that works. I keep threatening my TA the same thing. The other day she said OK, she'd probably do better.
I chased her down the hall, the little shit princess!

At the middle school where my fellow FT and I are employed,we have just asked for a non-English-speaking TA to accompany each of us to class. I guess we each need a Chinese adult present to help us suppress 80+ lively and excitable pupils.

Whenever we ask the FAO for copies of the school rules for pupils and for teachers,he runs away or says we'll get them later.Who knows,maybe there aren't any!However,we did each receive an identical e-mail from him the other day,which I've reproduced below:

What you both said about the assistant to the classroom was reported to the president last year.However,the president refused it.maybe he is afraid to pay more for the assistant.
I shall report this matter to them again next week.

Wow!I've just noticed that my FAO and I have something in common - we both type English the Chinese way!I think he was taught to do so,but in fact I was self-taught.I should mention too,for the sake of accuracy,that,unlike my foreign colleague,I wasn't here last year.A case of dejavu,perhaps in reverse,or something like that!

I'm sorry that my post is kind of off-topic.That's because it follows on from the previous post,which is off-topic too!Never mind?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:00:59 AM by Turino »

synthette58

Re: Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapul
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2009, 06:25:30 AM »
It appears any and all bad Canucks left the land of shinnie (hockey) and came here. I once encountered a fellow Canadian, a young lad from not too far from my home.

About 35 seconds into our conversation, he's telling me how great it is for him to be an English teacher since his only qualification is that, ahem,   

"I talk English real good!"

Isn't that the truth!!
He wasn't from Alberta or Saskratchewan was he??
We Canuks can be So uncultured sometimes.......especially the Borscht Belt!
Head a tad more south, like SoCal, and you'll even experience folks who combine lower and upper case with gay abandon!!

Canuk, and proud!
(but taught in British schools!! hehehehe....!!) bfbfbfbfbf
 bmbmbmbmbm

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
It appears any and all bad Canucks left the land of shinnie (hockey) and came here. I once encountered a fellow Canadian, a young lad from not too far from my home.

About 35 seconds into our conversation, he's telling me how great it is for him to be an English teacher since his only qualification is that, ahem,  

I respectfully have to protest this comment.  I am a "Canuck" and I lived and worked for two years in China.  The missus and I are good people who intend to return.  The truth is, we left more "bad" Canucks in Canada than we met in China.  Contrary to popular opinion, it's not the rubbish that leave home.  Most of the rubbish stay at home and vote for their favourite right-wingnut. Seriously   ahahahahah
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Where I live there are a handful of hockey and curling fans  ahahahahah  Canadians. Most of them are ill equipped to teach and lack many traits I'd classify as being civilized. This kid not only upset me with what he said, but also how he said it. There is an exception, a fellow Torontonian who is funny, witty, and can drink as much beer as I can.   bfbfbfbfbf

As for Specific Individual Expat Teachers You'd Like To Send Back Home- Via Catapult, we have one teacher who I'd like to overshoot her home by a million miles, but I promised my mom if I can't say something nice, don't say anything.   bjbjbjbjbj

I respectfully have to protest this comment.  I am a "Canuck" and I lived and worked for two years in China.  The missus and I are good people who intend to return.  The truth is, we left more "bad" Canucks in Canada than we met in China.  Contrary to popular opinion, it's not the rubbish that leave home.  Most of the rubbish stay at home and vote for their favourite right-wingnut. Seriously   ahahahahah

To be honest, I always read posts on the ESL Cafe whinging about what a decadent, drug abusing, etc lot the ESL teachers in China are.  My perception wasn't that.  My perception was that they were quite a tame lot compared with my mates back in the UK.  Sure, a lot of those mates have quietened down and evern become very respectable and suburban, but still... You'd think a bit of youthful drug experimentation was some kind of major crime from the way lots of them whinge on
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
With teachers we want to send home - the aim has to be very careful, otherwise if we overshoot them, they end up right back where they started.  Then - and this is the REALLY hard part - you have to make sure they land somewhere really good, in a job they are super happy with - or they will come back.  aoaoaoaoao

So in essence you have to make their lives wonderful!  ahahahahah ahahahahah

LE, you've been watching too many Bugs Bunny cartoons

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Ran into another one today.  The type of FT who tells a table of Deans, Heads of Departments, Education heavies about China and its history.  This fella 'loves Chinese history'.  One of his great 'lines' was "In 50 years China will have taken over Japan."  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk   He was telling the Chinese people sitting next to him the history of "Che le ma?", and other things about 'the Chinese people do...".  One of the Chinese teachers near him pointed that that lunch was nearly finished and he eaten little.   ahahahahah ahahahahah  Beautifully subtle.

But we all had a bit of a giggle when, as he was asking the questions for the comp, he asked one student to explain the "symbiology' of China.  The student was of course, slightly nonplussed!!  The head of the judging panel (and his fellow question master) in her summation speech stated that the students found it much easier to understand her accent!!

I think he managed to miff most people around him.   bibibibibi

Schnerby

Oh delight, another one.  llllllllll

Ran into another one today.  The type of FT who tells a table of Deans, Heads of Departments, Education heavies about China and its history.  This fella 'loves Chinese history'.  One of his great 'lines' was "In 50 years China will have taken over Japan."  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk   He was telling the Chinese people sitting next to him the history of "Che le ma?", and other things about 'the Chinese people do...".  One of the Chinese teachers near him pointed that that lunch was nearly finished and he eaten little.   ahahahahah ahahahahah  Beautifully subtle.

But we all had a bit of a giggle when, as he was asking the questions for the comp, he asked one student to explain the "symbiology' of China.  The student was of course, slightly nonplussed!!  The head of the judging panel (and his fellow question master) in her summation speech stated that the students found it much easier to understand her accent!!

I think he managed to miff most people around him.   bibibibibi

Reminds me of a guy I knew back in Kunming who insisted on speaking Chinese using the heavy er-hua he picked up during a semester in Beijing. People in Kunming don't speak using er-hua, and it wasn't as if this guy learned his Chinese in Beijing originally, he went there and came back with the ers. A couple ers here and there, fine, but go overboard, especially down South, and you just sound like a jackass. Linguistic snobbery certainly isn't going to win you any points with the locals.

Same goes for the doofus who my friend brought to our house for dinner and proceeded to try and school my husband, a professional musician, about Chinese opera and Xiang Shen. First of all, foreigners who study Xiang Shen grate on my last nerve (but, admittedly, that is my own issue and I own it), but second of all ... really? Because someone who has been relying on music for his livelihood for the past 15 or so years really needs to hear about Beijng opera from a 19 year old? Come to think of it, he was also an er-hua offender ... coincidence? ahahahahah

Schnerby

Ah know-it-alls don't cha just want to smack 'em with a big fish. Well, maybe that's just my issue.  ahahahahah

Maybe hubby might have been interested to have a music related conversation and in that pick up bits and pieces about some foreign/whatever music related topic.

Reminds me of a new FT here who tried to instruct me about how the Australian senate works. He's not Aussie and our senate doesn't work like the American one.  llllllllll

heavy er-hua he picked up during a semester in Beijing. People in Kunming don't speak using er-hua, Come to think of it, he was also an er-hua offender ... coincidence? ahahahahah

Ok, I am assuming you mean adding the 'r' sound at the end of words.  mmmmmmmmmm That is how I am being taught.  I think it is 'northern' dialect, or that is what my teacher implied.  Of course, I live in the 'north'.

I will try and be careful if I ever travel to the south  ahahahahah ahahahahah agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.