OK, NOW I've seen EVERYthing...

• 5 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
OK, NOW I've seen EVERYthing...
« on: June 12, 2007, 05:40:42 AM »
I stopped off at the neighborhood Kedi convenience store on the way home tonight, to buy my usual daily bucket of sugar-free colas. There, in the refrigerator case, appeared to my wondering eyes the following:

I bought this for the sheer...chutzpah  it displays. Don't know about the contents yet. Will let ya know. I'm a tough audience when it comes to Mexican food.

I suspect psychological warfare.
When I was drinking, and bangin' down a lot of good old Changyu brandy, you couldn't get it in my neighborhood. I had to travel a fair way to find it.
So, of course, now that I'm on the wagon, the Kedi across the street has lots of it on the shelf.  llllllllll
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:36:04 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

moon over parma

Re: OK, NOW I've seen EVERYthing...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »

When I was drinking, and bangin' down a lot of good old Changyu brandy, you couldn't get it in my neighborhood. I had to travel a fair way to find it.
So, of course, now that I'm on the wagon, the Kedi across the street has lots of it on the shelf.  llllllllll

Such is the irony of life: it looks you in th eye, turns you on and then it spits in your face. bbbbbbbbbb

So, how was the burrito facsimile?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »
I had one of those in HK.. not too bad once you drop some tabasco on it  bfbfbfbfbf
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
All right, inquiring minds...

The package contents are considerably...less glamorous looking...than what's shown on the package.

First, THIS AIN'T NO STEEENKING BURRITO, MAN! asasasasas
It's a wrap. Maybe a soft taco....no, on its own it's too bland for that appellation. It's a wrap.

However, as wraps go, ESPECIALLY microwave wraps sold in convenience stores in small cities in China, it's not too bad. Real chunks of chook, not anonymous PlastiMeat. And it has that vague preservative tang, common to Chinese packaged foods, that I've grown to love so much.
A liberal dousing with Tabasco does indeed help a lot. But then that's true of so much in life. bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:06:00 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:13:03 AM »
try to get one of them wraps from KFC.. cover it up with cheese, the more the better and a few drops of the garlic tabasco... then stick it in the oven... you're in it for a treat
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »
Yep...with a little doctoring they're very presentable.
I also like the Lao Beijing ("Old Beijing") wraps they sell...chicken nugs with strips of fresh green onion and cucumber, slathered with hoisin sauce and wrapped in a tortilla. One of the few foreign-adaptation menu items that's actually better than what's on the original home menu.