Can People from Outside China Come Now, as Teachers or Students?

• 11 replies

Ivyman

Hi Everyone,

Many people I know would love to come back to China, to work as a teacher, or return as a student.

With the new regulations this last week or so, can people actually come back?

I know PU letters, etc. were always possible.  But, in practice, they could never come back.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Can People from Outside China Come Now, as Teachers or Students?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 11:52:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Many people I know would love to come back to China, to work as a teacher, or return as a student.

With the new regulations this last week or so, can people actually come back?

I know PU letters, etc. were always possible.  But, in practice, they could never come back.

I know two persons who got back in recently. One had an existing residence permit and just left for a month to handle some business in the EU. The other is a brand new employee of a multinational.

The issues to be faces right now are procedures and costs: it's pretty much 70000 RMB (yes 70K) between flights and quarantine at least
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 02:56:03 AM »
As of 20 June, 2022 ~

70,000 Chinese Yuan equals
10,466.67 United States Dollar

9,949.85 Euro

8,535.42 Pound sterling
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 04:43:28 PM »
It's a very dynamic situation.  Happily, most of the changes are making things easier.  For some circumstances from some countries, PUs may no longer be required.

The only way to be even close to up to date is to contact the Chinese Embassy in the country the potential teacher/student has citizenship in.  If the answer is sufficient to get the person in, go for it.  If not, check back with the Embassy in a week or two and see if the rules have changed.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 01:40:03 AM »
It is possible but still not really feasible for most.
If you can get the visa, flights are still very limited, the quarantine is a long time, and of course, because of zero-Covid you are at the mercy of the zero covid policy so the official 14 days hotel + 7 home quarantine is pretty optimistic

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 06:19:15 PM »
PU Letter Exemption for Z-Work Visa Applicants: Latest Updates

As of June 15, 2022, Chinese Embassies in the following countries and regions have announced relatively simplified visa application procedures: Austria, Croatia, Czech, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, South Korea, and the United States. According to these announcements, PU Letter is no longer required for Z/S/Q visa applications. Please refer to the respective Embassy for more detailed information...

Others to follow.

And see embassy websites for PCR test requirements. They vary according to your COVID infection history.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »
This is why people need to keep checking.  14 + 7 (or just 21) is still common, but more cites are testing shorter periods.

More flights are being added.  Also, if you don't mind an extra week or so in Q, flying into Hong Kong is less complex and in some cases significantly less expensive.  From there, one can try for a slot to cross over to Shenzhen or one can go back to the airport and fly to China.  Sadly, flying from a 3rd country and directly transferring to a flight to China is still not back on the menu of choices, but this could change.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 02:59:58 PM »
Breaking news - looks like China is going to 7+3.  Seven in a quarantine hotel.  3 in home self monitoring (or something like that).

What I'm not sure of is:

Is this a minimum (like 14 days in Q hotel used to be) that allows local areas to add more on top, or is this the nationwide standard with only limited exceptions during local outbreaks?

There's also the horrifying possibility of a new variant emerging in the future with a longer period of undetectable incubation.  That would wreck everything. ananananan

In the meantime, I'm waiting until round 2 boosters are available before planning any trips.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 06:48:09 PM »
Check the news and contact your local embassy or consulate.  More visa types are being issued in more places.  It looks like student visas are in the mix.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 04:27:08 PM »
Coming in via HK is about to get easier.

The policy up until now has been:  Fly into HK.  Quarantine.  Then fly to China and quarantine again or else start entering the daily lottery for crossing over to Shenzhen and then quarantine again.

Now HK is preparing to offer "Pre-Quarantine" for those going to China.  Details are still being worked out, but I expect it won't be long before someone could fly in and have their inbound quarantine count as pre-quarantine.  This would let someone get by with a single quarantine.

If I can get a booster jab first, I might actually be tempted to fly somewhere in the next 6 months.
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 05:10:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

So, what is the visa situation now? I write this as of September 1st, 2022.

1. It seems like it is possible for people to come in:

- They need an employer that wants them badly enough to sponsor a visa
- Or, they need a school where they have paid the full fees, deposit, living means of proof, etc.

2. Even with the invitation that will result in visa, then resident permit, it is darn expensive.

It looks like up to about 10,000 USD for plane tickets.

And, someone needs to stay in a hotel room (for 7 days?)

3. Then, after these Herculean expenses are paid, they are back in China, and can work as normal?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 03:06:48 PM »
Visas are being issued, but changes may not happen in all countries on the same day.  The situation is changing rapidly, so the ONLY place to get the currently applicable information is the embassy/consulate of the country the potential student/teacher is from.

Plane tickets directly into China are expensive, but for those willing to pull some extra time in quarantine, flying to Hong Kong may save a pile of cash.  With any luck, there may be a way to combine HK entry quarantine with HK to Mainland entry pre-quarantine.  Pre-quarantine was just announced last week, so the full details will likely take a little longer to be finalized.

If you have the right visa and get in, of course you can work or take classes as normal.  Student and work visas aren't issued because embassy personnel are bored.  Just make 100% sure to bring any documents that will be required to be shown after entering the country to finalize the paperwork.  Depending on visa type, this may be taken care of before the visa is issued or you might need some items to show the school or labor bureau.  Check the with embassy/consulate first, then the employer or the school.
EscapedLunatic.com