Just hitched....

• 6 replies
Just hitched....
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:36:47 AM »
....Without a hitch to an awesome Chinese Chick, but what about getting a marriage visa? I'm currently on a work visa with the residence permit, proper FEC, and all that. But, do I need to get a marriage visa now? Is it to my advantage, or is waiting an option?
Red October Red October Red October BLACK!

Re: Just hitched....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:45:25 AM »
Nice one....and snap!
The marriage visa RP is only to let you stay and go as you please, you can't work on it. Therefore, keep what you have if you want to work, the RP for marriage is just for slackers who dont work within China!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:50:19 AM »
My question more revolves around, can I maintain a residence permit related to marriage and a work related residence permit simultaneously?

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:55:18 AM »
Circumstantial, but my coworker is married to a local, we went together to renew his work permit this year. It seems having a marriage permit means you can live in China, but the work permit allows you to be legally working for an employer. Methinks you need both.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:42:09 AM »
Ah,
    Getting a bit of conflicting information from the PSB, will visit the PSB near my workplace when I return.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
You do not need both and cannot hold both at the same time. That would be like having a work visa but then also applying for a tourist visa because you want to travel a little. If you want to work legally, then continue applying for work visas.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Circumstantial, but my coworker is married to a local, we went together to renew his work permit this year. It seems having a marriage permit means you can live in China, but the work permit allows you to be legally working for an employer. Methinks you need both.

The PSB in Kunming told my boss the same thing this year -- that I can have my marriage RP for living here, and then my school can apply for a work permit for me in order to have official permission to work. This may be a new development with the marriage RP. Best to see what your school says.

There is no requirement to get the marriage visa just because you're married though. It is just an option.