Getting married in Hangzhou..what documents and assorted crap do I need?

• 15 replies
Ok, so I am taking the plunge...From what I can tell, I need a valid passport, a valid visa, a health certificate and some doodah called a Marriage Certificate issued from the DK govt saying I am not married, which seems silly to me. Anyway, has anyone gone through this nonsense in HZ? Hints. suggestions, help...and not of the run-run-run-away-before-it's-too-late variety agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
Blimey Morten Mazal tov and all that!   agagagagag agagagagag
Obviously can't help you with specifics but I also have to get hold of a marriage cert for my visa to China and we don't have them over here since there is only religious and no civil marriage and the ceremonial doodah is called a Ketuba and written in Aramaic or something! Anyway all the best and I hope it is not too much of a bureaucratic mess to tie the knot!!
When is this auspicious event due to occur?  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Danke sehr...soon, I guess. The fiancee is trying to figure out exactly what documents to get and I am trying to get my parents to send this blasted form from Denmark to China chop-chop-vamos-allende agagagagag agagagagag Of course, the major problem will then be that, when we get to Denmark, for convenience sake she will likely have to take my name and keep her own, so she will have to be able to say my last name...she pronounces it Scooby, which is not right, although the reference to a cowardly Great Dane is apt agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Is there a Danish embassy near you etr? I got my certificate from the USA embassy. The various embassies here should know exactly what you're talking about if you go and ask them (or call, or e-mail), as marriage and family matters probably constitute a majority of what they deal with each day.

Nope, there is one in Shanghai and I called them. The form must be issued in Denmark, then sent here and be translated and verified by the Consulate. My parents are getting that fixed.

Wow! I guess Denmark probably doesn't handle as many marriages in China as USAnia and others do, but still, that's kind of surprising.

The only general advice I have is to get everything translated before you show up. You even have to have your passport translated, as silly as that may sound. You need to go to an official translator that can give you the fancy seal and lots of notary offices also have translation services so in some cases you can kill two birds with one stone.

I have to have my passport translated...what?? Oh dear, why is this already giving me a headache....I will let the future Mrs. Squirrel contact the right people and make all the arrangements.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
There's some info at: http://wikitravel.org/en/Marriage_in_China

I believe that is more-or-less up-to-date & accurate, but I could be wrong.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Is it legal for a girl to marry a squirrel in China? mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Borkya

aqaqaqaqaq

That's all i can say is just....... aqaqaqaqaq

I am probably wrong here as i ended up getting married in HongKong but from what i remember about the research i did into getting married in the wife's hometown of Wuhan i didn't need a certificate to say i wasn't married as i'd never been married before. I was told the certificate is only to prove your not still married if you've been wed before.

But like i say i never went through with it in China anyway, so what do i know.

Congratulations anyway.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Unfortunately you need this certificate no matter how many marriages you've had. If you're divorced, as I remember, you'll need a copy of the divorce decree as well, and widows/ers will need a death certificate I think. My marriage is my first (and hopefully only!) marriage and I still needed this document to prove I was single.

ETR I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that I needed my passport translated as well but sure enough, we turned up the first day without it and had to go back and get it done before we could get married. It took only one day to get the translation if I remember correctly, rush service.

Well, having now talked to 15 different people who all got married in various locations in China, it is safe to say: every city in China has its own rules... llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll some say you need this, some say that, some say you don't need this, some say forget about that...the future Mrs. Red will have to talk to the HZ govt...I will slowly sink into the sweet oblivon of insanity...lalalaalalal...lalalalalala...where is the master of the revels, I want to see the can-can dancing rhinos...lalalalalala...

Congratulations ETR and to the Bride to be. agagagagag Hope it all works out well for you. bfbfbfbfbf

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Here's what Americans need; I would imagine the requirements for squirrels is similar:
Marriages in China are administered by the marriage registration office of the local civil affairs bureau, (民政局Min Zheng Ju) in each jurisdiction. Persons planning to marry should visit or call one of these offices for specific information. The appropriate civil affairs office will be the one in the jurisdiction in which the Chinese citizen is registered (the location of their 户口hukou). In Beijing, inquiries should be directed to the following:

Marriage Registration Office (北京市民政局婚姻登记处)
Beijing Civil Affairs Bureau
Add: Ground floor,  No. 20 Gongren Tiyuchang Donglu, Chaoyang District (地址:朝阳区工体东路20号1层)
Telephone : 010-6586 6660, 010-6539 5015, 010-6539 5016
Business hours: 9:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-5:00 Mondays through Fridays; Saturdays, 9:00-11:30 a.m. only; closed on Chinese holidays.

While the minimum age for marriage is generally 20 for women 22 for men, some civil affairs offices have a higher minimum age.  Both parties must establish that they are single and free to marry.  If you have been previously married, you will be asked to submit original or certified copies of your final divorce or annulment decrees, or of death certificates, if widowed.  Note that at least one party of a marriage must be either a Chinese citizen or a long-term resident.  Marriages between foreigners who are temporary visitors may not be registered.

The American will usually be asked to submit the following:

A valid passport with a valid Chinese visa
If both parties are foreigners at least one must present a Chinese residence permit.
An "affidavit of marriageability." You can get this document  at the Embassy by swearing or affirming before a Consul that you are legally free to marry. You must make an appointment to get this affidavit and there is a $50 charge.
If either party was previously married, bring a clear photocopy of either the divorce or annulment decree or the death certificate which shows how the marriage ended. If you present an original certified copy with the copy for their review, the Chinese authorities will usually accept the copy.  Hold on to your original documents, since they will be required when you file an immigrant visa petition for your spouse.
Three photos of the couple, taken together
Registration fee
Questions regarding what documents the Chinese partner must submit should be directed to the local marriage registration office (Hun Yin Deng Ji Chu (婚姻登记处).

Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.  Marriages that are legal in the jurisdiction in which they were performed are legal in the United States.  It is not necessary to register your marriage at the Embassy or in the United States, nor do you need to re-marry in the United States.