Why, mannequin? Why???

• 72 replies
Why, mannequin? Why???
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Please note that this was not a single incident of one creepy mannequin head having been put down in a hurry to attend to some urgency or other; there were a phalanx of these pairings carefully arranged thusly, as seen here:

My question is, why? In the same instant that such a freakshow enters my field of vision I begin to wonder ... what happened here  mmmmmmmmmm ?  Someone was charged with setting up some kind of attention-getting display thereby to advertise some shiny/colourful new bargain to be had. They had a bin of glossy, chalk white male torsos and some banner-sash like things, natch ... they got busy slapping the bargoon garment on a torso, then the sash ... they stood back to survey the effect and thought to themselves, "HEY! You know what THIS needs, eh?!"...

Returning to the scene moments later with a bag of slightly smaller scale, stylistically completely different, pinkish and bowling-ball bald female heads -

- this happened.  Right?  Sure.  OF COURSE.  I would have done EXACTLY the same thing. o_O. 

Now, all I can do is stand there in awe wishing I'D thought of that FIRST.

The mannequin at work with Chinese characteristics = WHERE is my camera/phone. 

Yesterday I spotted the window display in a fairly upscale children's clothing shop ... three child mannequins dressed for spring outings - only one with a head, the most fucked up pink hat I could ever imagine placing on a child's head, plonked onto one of the two child mannequins that had no head, jauntily askew. o_O 

Don't get me wrong - I don't want this sort of thing to stop - kkkkkkkkkk .

I just want to know - why?

... aaaaaaaaaaaand ... discuss:  agagagagag
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

Re: Why, mannequin? Why???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
White walkers south of the wall!!!

Winter is coming!!!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
ROFL!  agagagagag
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

Monkey King

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
I was re-watching the first episode of the new season og GoT whilst browsing this thread. Mannequins have always creeped me out.  Have you ever felt like you are being watched and turned round only to find just a mannequin there?  They are odd things.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
I was re-watching the first episode of the new season og GoT whilst browsing this thread. Mannequins have always creeped me out.  Have you ever felt like you are being watched and turned round only to find just a mannequin there?  They are odd things.

Even more unnerving when they are naked, what with their lack of nipples and *junk*.

Which in turn makes me think of the 'un-sullied' that appear in GoT latest episode.

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
I've seen some in the US with nipples on the breasts - or else my machismo was enough to make even a plastic girl's nipples stand erect. ababababab

I must admin that headless ones (with or without a spare head on a table) are creepy, but I've seen worse. aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao

The creepiest looking ones I've seen in China have heads - with the tops lopped off just above eyebrow level.  Is this some sort of veiled reference to a terrible industrial accident or an ancient method of execution? mmmmmmmmmm

Second creepiest - child mannikins with faceless white cloth heads - looks sort of like the work of some bizarre serial killer who likes to put a cloth bag over the heads of his victims before murdering them. aqaqaqaqaq
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »
Second creepiest - child mannikins with faceless white cloth heads - looks sort of like the work of some bizarre serial killer who likes to put a cloth bag over the heads of his victims before murdering them.  aqaqaqaqaq

- couldn't agree more ...     

Exhibit B:

aoaoaoaoao

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
I recently walked into the oldest, and somewhat swanky, western department store in Guangzhou, the GZ Friendship Store, and there was a clothing shop inside with a mannequin in *exactly* the same pose as the milk bar from Kubrick's 1971 film, "A Clockwork Orange". It was clothed, but dayum.

Saddle up, me droogies!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
Go back and get a pic!!!
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:49 AM »
My camera died last summer and I have a dumb phone, but if possible I'll try to get it if available. You know how Chinese stores are, they open, close, remodel to exactly the same thing, open, close, remodel...

I once saw a small, cheap restaurant that looked like every other small, cheap restaurant around it, I saw it close. It was remodeled fore two months (could have been done in a weekend), looked *exactly* the same as before remodel was done over winter break, never opened, "closed", was remodeled almost exactly as before, opened, stayed in business about a month, then finally closed again. Now it's a simple fruit shop with no need for any of the tables, counters, etc. that were built and torn down twice.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
I wonder what was being advertised in the first photo Stil?  afafafafaf  The manequin in the second didn't look too impressed. ahahahahah

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:14:25 AM »

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
This thread has officially become AWESOME, thanks to Stil.  agagagagag