What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2008, 02:49:29 AM »
Book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Also made into a movie.  Tells the story of a love that stretches over 50 years, across marriage and affairs.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2008, 03:21:32 AM »
Currently reading Ben Elton's Stark.
I think they made a crap movie of that in Melbourne. I had a tiny scene.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Shroomy

« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2008, 03:49:32 AM »
I loved both 100 Year of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera.  I think I have read them several times, though I couldn't tell you what they were about. I haven't reread them since my brain malfunction in '96, similar to having someone erase most of your computer's hard drive, only bits and pieces left.  Like the names of the books, but not the story line or why you liked them.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »
I loved Stark, although I read it many years ago.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
I love eBay!!! Just found "Jonathan Wild, Prince of Robbers" and Dennis Wheatley's "In the shadow of Tyburn Tree" and bou´ght them both for 10 pounds in all! And found among my books "The String of Pearls" which is the 19th Century penny dreadful that inspired Sondheim which then led to the, for me, much expected Sweeney Todd movie.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »
I loved Stark, although I read it many years ago.

It was funny.  Matter of taste, I guess.

I recently read High Society, also by Ben Elton.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2008, 11:55:42 PM »
Dead Famous is a good read too
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2008, 03:17:48 AM »
Finished Christopher Whitcombe's "White" on the plane over and gave it to my daughter (Sorry DS) and on the plane today read Jane Smiley's "The age of grief'.  Not too bad.

« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2008, 03:58:03 AM »
"The String of Pearls". The original Sweeney Todd tale from the 1840's.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
State of Fear by Michael Crichton.  Man, would Hamish hate it!  I'll sum it up when I'm done. 
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Haven't had the time or means to read in a loooong time,but I'm on a big kick right now. Just finished A Voice For The Dead by Dr. James E. Starrs. The book is about the authors experiences conducting exhumations of people who died under questionable circumstances prior to the availability of todays forensic technology. Among the cases he looks at are The Donner Party, the alleged assassin of Huey Long, Jesse James and The Boston Strangler. He makes some fascinating discoveries and puts to rest a lot of myths.

Currently reading Hunter Thompsons Generation  of Swine. A great read that gives me flashbacks to a decade of excess.

« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:10 AM »
Just bought and started "China: A New History" by John King Fairbank. I highly recommend it.

AMonk

« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2008, 06:41:44 AM »
Just finished How Long Does It Hurt?, addressing the issue of incest and sexual abuse for teens (boys and girls).  Excellent resource.

Re-starting the "Darkover" series by Zimmer Bradley.  Should keep me going for a week or so.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »
Reading a book called Galilee by Clive barker, which my mate said I would like.  It's, um, interesting so far.

Read another book about feuding families recently called On Beauty by Zadie Smith - now that is one brilliant book.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »
Just started "Asian Godfathers" by Joe Studwell. Looks like it might be a real interesting book, it's about money and power in HK and south east asia. Full of interesting facts such as 8 out of the top 24 wealthiest families were (before the crash) south east asian.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades