What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #810 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:44 AM »
Just read 'Gangs of New York'

awesome book. HBO should make a series of it, total madness, specially around the Civil War when they tried to burn down New York

I'd quite like to learn about US social history in depth, it's pure Mad Max up until WW2

« Reply #811 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:25 AM »
The I can recommend you read "Five Points" by..hmm..I forgot..and I also recommend H.W. Brands' "American Colossus" and a rather interesting book called "Paddywhacked" which chronicles the history of Irish gangsters in America  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #812 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:39 AM »
Just read 'Gangs of New York'

awesome book. HBO should make a series of it, total madness, specially around the Civil War when they tried to burn down New York

I'd quite like to learn about US social history in depth, it's pure Mad Max up until WW2
Good nutrition up until WW2.

« Reply #813 on: July 25, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »
and a rather interesting book called "Paddywhacked" which chronicles the history of Irish gangsters in America  agagagagag agagagagag

Oh I'm getting that.

I love watching Boardwalk Empire just because all the tough guys are Irish.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #814 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
"The Westies" about one of the most infamous gangs to ever come out of Hell's Kitchen is also rather good. "The Robber Barons" is also really good. For post-WWII you could read "The Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test".

I am also, being a many-books-at-the-time kinda guy, currently reading "The Killer of Little Shepherds" by Douglas Starr, about the serial killer Joseph Vacher and the origin of forensic science. Good stuff  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #815 on: July 25, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
Thing is I say I will....

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #816 on: July 25, 2013, 04:57:48 AM »
"The Boy in the Suitcase" working my way through all the Man Booker Prize shortlists from 2000 onwards which I "obtained" gratis from a useful source.So far it is pretty good.Also on that list were "Snowdrops" set in Moscow really excellent and " THe Half Blood Blues" also most enjoyable.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #817 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
Been reading a lot this summer. Almost finished with Italo Calvino's "Invisible Cities." Interesting to think how it relates to our own travel stories.

No idea what to read next.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Borkya

« Reply #818 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »
I'm being a pretentious douch and reading Dante's inferno. I actually like it, but have to read it out loud to understand it better.  ahahahahah

« Reply #819 on: July 25, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »
Why is it pretentious to read one of the greatest works of literature ever written?? That's exactly one of those inane mistakes the world forces upon us, that reading something great and profound is in some way wrong. If reading great works of literature is pretentious then I embrace wholeheartedly and without an iota of shame or regret my pretentiousness. I just finished reading "Paradise Lost' for next term and am now plowing through the works of Dickens and the poetry of the Cavaliers and the Metaphysical poets. Shades of Grey, Dan Brown..piffle...give me just one line of Shakespeare, one couplet of Jonson, one comma from Milton instead. Of course, this begs the question, which translation of Dante are you reading? The Longfellow one? The OUP blank verse one? I must admit, I prefer Longfellow. Blank verse is..well....we all know what T.S.Eliot thought of blank verse and I can only agree with him  agagagagag agagagagag

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #820 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
/snoody British accent = on
I think it's raaather pretentious to declare oneself to be pretentious. Ah-Haw.
/end snoody accent

That said, I'd really like to read some Dante.

« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
What's stopping you? Dante is readily available in most Chinese bookstores and free to download on Project Gutenberg.

A-Train

« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
Reading, (actually listening to), Kevin Phillips' "1775".  Interesting if you're into American/English history.  He calls it one of three civil wars fought by English speaking peoples and the first World War.  He loves to dispel the commonly accepted notions about The Revolution and the era. Interesting that the New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland colonies, largely, did not want to rebel. 

One interesting factoid, one-fourth of all the British officers killed in this eight-year war died at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Borkya

« Reply #823 on: July 27, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
I was going for sarcasm, cause I'm a dumber 'merican who has trouble with them big fancy wurds. but sigh.....so hard to do right on the internet.

« Reply #824 on: July 28, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
Naturally, sarcasm is normally indicated by modulating one's inflection, which is difficult to do in writing. Now, Borkya, you may have an incomprehensible passion for tea and an even more strange need to befriend and hang out with young people, both of which are good reasons to stay at Hangzhou Number 7th Hospital for a while but no-one could ever call you dumb... agagagagag agagagagag

You never told me which translation you are reading.