Electronic distribution of texts in class

• 49 replies

old34

Re: Electronic distribution of texts in class
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 05:43:01 AM »
Oops, just checked the Ulysses website and found it's only available on Mac and i Pad:

http://www.ulyssesapp.com/mac/

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 06:31:26 AM »
Calach,

You can file those suggestions under SDHAA.

Sorry Doesn't Help At All
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
For those of us un-enMacened, it raises again the question of Scrivener. Last time I trialed that, I didn't make it past the learning curve. Might give it a second look. (One of my ulterior motives in looking at html for e-texts in class, aside from thinking they're better than doc on a phone, is I eventually want to put together novel-sized epubs, and html might count as practice.)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 12:56:32 AM »
Communicapocalypse - Week 2 - "The Reorientation"

Pains me to say it, but html won't make the cut. There's the objective weakness that the full html experience cannot be delivered in a single file. (It can, actually. There's a format called mhtml, or mime html, which combines the html and support files into a single mime document. But it's unclear it'd actually work, even if I could find a way to encode it properly.) The more telling objection, however, is that no one cares. My subjective impression after asking the four classes is no one's having problems with doc format - they recognise it and know how to use it - and while there may be some who are curious about the html, they're finding no special reward in going there, and most aren't anyway. So, doc wins.

In other news, the classes continue to look and feel the same as classes from years past that used paper. Most phones in use are large screen models. Most teams have more than one. There is a measure of flexibility lost in using phones, even when most of the teams are using various kinds of large screen model, but I'm not hearing any complaints. Nor am I seeing any frustration. (I might dig a little deeper next time and see if there's any under the surface.)

Thus, I shall continue serving up doc and/or docx. To entertain myself, I shall continue trying other formats too. I believe I shall experiment with epub for a while and see how that goes.

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 12:51:03 AM »
One added advantage of the QQ group is when you post the docs the day before class and the students tell you but we have a sports meeting, you can know right then that no one will be in class tomorrow. You don't have to turn up the next day and wonder where everyone is.

In other news. the groups are working well. We have had a couple of incidents. One was a student (or a student's hijacked account) advertising "codes" of some kind - software crack stuff, I guess. The other was a student's hijacked account (or a student) advertising a ponzi scheme. But that's it. Otherwise, everyone seems to be using the files as downloaded each week and the QQ hasn't infected anything on my computer that I know about. Booyah.

Still using only doc. Gave up the html. Haven't looked into other formats yet. Might not either.