Good medicine for goobers

• 9 replies
Good medicine for goobers
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
[Note: I tried, but I couldn't find posts about this already, and also not sure my post belongs here]

OK, foks, I'm prone to chest infections in China, and I cant' stand them. last year I did some research on boosting my immunity, and came up with a drink to boost my immune system. It worked miracles (I only got sick once and it was after giving myself alcohol poisoning ). But recently I slacked off of it and an opportunistic infection has invaded the sanctity of my respiratory tract.

I'm looking for an over the counter medicine that will alleviate symptoms, and that REALLY works. I imagine some have had the same problems and tried different medicines, mostly to no avail, but finally, I'm hoping, happened on one or two that do the trick.

If you could post the name in Chinese, or pin yin (preferably with tones), or a link or a pic, t'would be helpful.

[Incidentally, the preventative immunity booster drink is ginger/lemon, and optional honey, garlic, tea. Should be strong. Great to bring to class when the throat isn't up to snuff].
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Good medicine for goobers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
Dude! aoaoaoaoao

You need a good strong course of antibiotics...and you need them NOW! yyyyyyyyyy
Respiratory infections are just not something you fool around with. I hate to say this to anyone living in China, but: get your ass to a doctor.

Please. alalalalal

Preventatives are fine, if they work, but once the bugs get into your chest cavity it's time to get Medieval on them. Last I heard antibiotics are no longer sold over-the-counter in most of China...and shouldn't be self-prescribed anyway unless you know what you're doing.

So get to a doctor! He will likely insist on a course of daily IVs, and in this particular case he might be worth listening to. I'm a bit prone to respiratory infections myself, and I found Chinese oral antibiotics unreliable for treating them.

When you get better, look for the bright red words "THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO ASK QUESTIONS" on our home page. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »
I was him ^ last week. "It's only a virus" I said.

Until it didn't go away and I got weaker and weaker. My TA insisted that I see a Doctor.
Just to humor her, I went along with the gag. Sure enough, my "cold virus" was a respiratory tract infection. After a course of Amoxicillan, I am not going to die on y'all.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Good on ya both! bfbfbfbfbf

B-D, you know yourself better than I know ya...follow your own feelings for sure.

But I'd add that early-on is the best time to treat respiratory infections.
And most of those infections are bacterial follow-ups to another infection, viral or otherwise. Sure, there ARE viral pneumonias, but these are relatively rare and involve a strong risk of being sent back home in a box. aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »
Respiratory problems are common here and there are quite a few mild medicines the Chinese use to 'dry' the lungs. Just ask in a pharmacy. The syrups they use are for this not really for coughs. There are also pills.

Your preventative measures are good. Gargling salt water is also a good preventative measure. It kills some nasties and also loosens phlegm so you can get it out rather than let it percolate in there. We might make fun or be disgusted at the hawking up people do here but there's a good reason for it.

Amoxicillan is still available over the counter 阿莫西林 ā mò xīlín

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »
Green Goobers = Bronchitis / Pneumonia (maybe / often)

Be careful aoaoaoaoao
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
Green goobers turned into DOUBLE PNEUMONIA for me.  Now my lungs are that much older than the rest of me.

Don't screw around with chest infections.  What Raoul said: get antibiotics, and take the entire recommended course- don't stop taking then once you feel better, or it will return with a vengeance.

It's your LUNGS, dude.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:13 AM »
To get medical terms translated into Chinese I use 'Medical dictionary On-Line for Chinese'
http://www.hk-doctor.com/html/dict.php

It has got me through most things but does not have pinyin. This may not be a disadvantage as it is easier, faster and safer to show them the script.  

Amoxicillan is still available over the counter 阿莫西林 ā mò xīlín

Amoxicillin is the usual choice but if you are looking for an alternative then Cefradine       頭孢拉定 is also available across the counter.

It comes in various forms - at this time I have a packet of Cefuroxime 頭孢夫辛 - just look for an antibiotic starting with 'Cef'.

I change antibiotics every so often in an attempt to avoid developing resistance to any one of them. It might be like playing Russian Roulette but I think the odds are better than those delivered by the medical system around here.

While I usually take the one that has the most capsules for the least kuai it pays to keep in mind that some forms of both drugs are sometimes combined with another to increase the effectiveness. So when the chemists say RMB20 instead of the expected RMB10 they are not trying to rip you off ... usually.

PS Having said that I think you should also see a doctor - even if it is only get the reassurance of a second opinion.  agagagagag  
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
I have a very good printable pdf of medical phrases with English - characters - pinyin that also includes some questions a doctor might ask.

If anyone wants it, pm me with an email address.

Dex

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:43:37 AM »
OMLGG... (oh my Lady Gaga)...

...didn't know coughs becoming chest infestions were so rife here.

Guess I've been lucky. Though I do have coughs more often than when back in the UK (but have mostly put this down to smoking and general over-indulgance utilising the cheaper cost of things than back in the UK)!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture