A very serious question

• 9 replies

Mimi

A very serious question
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »
What the hell is wrong with the chocolate in China?  Seriously, how many different ways are there to make chocolate?  I haven't bought any, but I get little candies as presents.  I always get very excited about the chocolate, then take a bite, and then the depression sets in. 
I don't know what they put in it to give it that too-sweet aftertaste, but yuck.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: A very serious question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
I don't think they use the 'proper' grease component - proper cocoa butter. And it doesn't seem to set the same way - a bit too flaky.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:44:21 PM »
Copha instead of cocoa mass, cocoa butter etc. Not sure what else. Probably sawdust and rat droppings, but that never hurt cadbury's.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »
Dove dark chocolate is palatable.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Chances are that they use the cheapest chocolate availale, containing almost no cocao, and then add lots of sugar. I seem to recall the Chinese as being a wee bit too fond of sugar.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:56:55 PM »

One of my business tripslast year found me in a chocolate factory out in shandong province so I might be able to shed some further light on the matter:

The cocoa used is basically the same as everywhere else! However, the processing techniques are different and the rest of the ingredients different as well; From the milk all the way to butters, oils, sweeteners, etc...

Dove sticks to western style practices and ingredients but they're starting to cave in but their dark chocolate is 100% genuine! The white one as well. their milk chocolate is undergoing a bit of change in terms of sweetener used.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
I like Dove Milk and Dark but M&Ms are still my favourites.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »
Brush your teeth,
be nice to others,
live a clean life,
and NEVER waste a frickin' cent on Chinese-made chocolate.

- Alfred Einstein

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »
better yet, chocolate covered coffee beans, they were a very special treat back home.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »
better yet, chocolate covered coffee beans, they were a very special treat back home.

you are definitely a lady of good taste, dear! I love those chocolate covered coffee beans..... I should probably head over to google and see if i can find a recipe to make them at home..
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com