Canadian long-term expats denied the vote

• 3 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Canadian long-term expats denied the vote
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
This is only one of a series of measures apparently designed to disenfranchise any group unlikely to vote Conservative: students, natives, homeless, poor, ... It does not affect me in this election since I am currently in Canada, but it may affect others here.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1432280/long-term-canadian-expats-lose-voting-rights/
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Re: Canadian long-term expats denied the vote
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:16:46 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:55:43 PM by Isidnar »

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
I am pretty much living a stateless limbo. I'm not considered a resident of Canada anymore. I'm a resident of China but not a permanent resident. I spend four months a year in Thailand, but am not a resident - I'm a 'tourist' (who resides there for two months at a time, twice a year).

Buying travel insurance really 'brings it home' - about the only coverage I can get when traveling outside of China is through World Nomads. I'm sure there must be some others, but the options are extremely limited - most policies use the term "Permanent Resident" in a strictly defined way that would negate any coverage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:06:06 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
I can't help with the voting (still awaiting an answer from a question I sent to my county voter's registration office in 2010), but I did manage to get insurance via a company in HK while holding a Chinese res permit and it allows me to wander around the world.  It's not exactly cheap.  PM me if you want and I can hook you up with an agent in HK.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com