In need of good pictures for communication class...

• 26 replies
In need of good pictures for communication class...
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »
I have been assigned an English Communication Skills class next term, for minors. Typical nonsense with 70+ students in a class and no textbook. However, when life gives this squirrel lemons, he makes..well...coffee and throws the lemons in the bin actually. I decided that I was making this class into an all-inclusive applied lingusitcs class covering all kinds of communication. I assigned "Introduction to Language" by Fromkin as a textbook. I have acquired Gary Larson's "Far Side Gallery" and Tennant's "The 5th Wave" comics but I find myself in need of signs that does not contain language but merely images which can be misinterpreted. Hangzhou is not exactly full of these, so if any of you Saloonies come across a sign that tries to communicate one idea and could be misconstrued, please PM me. A good example is the Chinese sign for "No Honking" which is a trumpet with a line through it. If someone unfamiliar with car horns (I know, in China  is as possible to find such a person as it is to find a vegetarian in an abattoir)could conclude that, for some reason, there is no trumpet playing in that area.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
Re: In need of good pictures for communication class...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »
Look in "chinglish". That thread in the Saloon contains many pics. Ask the Kids to translate the Chinese into English. Normally, they use the first meaning that shows up in their dictionary, and don't think about context.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

xwarrior

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »
This was taken in Hangzhou. It does have writing - but it took me sometime to get my head around the whole concept. (I am a bit slow!)

...... and, the answer is here

This photo was part of a display in a "Wedding Shop." Not sure that every girl in NZ would go with the message it conveys

Not my photo!

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:36:09 AM »
Guys, it's uni class, I trying to keep it clean and proper, you know, free cleavage and shots of hotpants, the latter really does not communicate anything. I may have been obtuse, for which I am sorry, I meant signage that has a meaning, not just an interpretable image.

Take for instance our emoticons, the chap banging his head against a wall. Now we all understand it means frustration...well, what if I thought, due to watching too many crappy martial arts movies, that it denoted a desire to destroy bricks with your forehead? That's what I meant... agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
I just googled "confusing signs" and got quite a few. Try that believe me there are zillions out there.
good luck
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »
 agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag............... mmmmmmmmmm.. I don't know what that means!!!
Try Google.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Look in "chinglish". That thread in the Saloon contains many pics. Ask the Kids to translate the Chinese into English. Normally, they use the first meaning that shows up in their dictionary, and don't think about context.

There is an entire site www.engrish.com with bad English, mostly from Japan.

Is there a reverse site anywhere? I have heard stories of westerners with tattoos in Chinese characters they could not read that said "cheap but delicious" or some such.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
Sorry, I  misconstrued your instructions and if an emoticon is a sign then I misinterpreted your request.

I will keep looking.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
No, an emoticon is not a sign, but it is part of the course. Today, we communicate daily using that most insipid of communication tools, namely the text message, where not only do we shorten words, "u" instead of "you' and such, but we also communicate by a new language of symbols and abbreviations, such emoticons and acronyms, like LMAO (In a recent episode of "The Neighbours" a mother intercepted a text message between a boy and her daughther misconstruing LMAO for "Let My Ass Out"). Thus as technology develops and we spend less time on communication, we resort to inventing a new kind of language, consisting of symbols and abbreviations that, if presented to an outsider, is either nonsense or can be easily misconstrued. It goes beyond the mere labels of argot or slang, it is a language in constant development and change, being created and reformed on a daily basis by not just a population but the global population. Take for example 5555 which,as we all know, means "to be crying" within China, outside of China it means five-thousand, five hundred and fifty-five. Except when I write it to a friend in Denmark and explains it, he writes it to another friend and before long a chap in Denmark, Australia, China and Spain are incorporating it into their cyber-speak. I recently read that someone was heavily into planking inspired by an Internet meme...I can understand Shakespeare but that sentence made no sense. It was English, the people who commented on the sentence wrote in English but I, an English teacher, thought it was gibberish. I will continue researching on Google.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
Wikimedia Commons has several million pictures, including many of China, all Creative Commons licensed so you can use them freely provided you attribute them correctly.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Photo.net is a site for photographers with many fine photos under various licenses.
http://photo.net/
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »
Excellent, thank you  bfbfbfbfbf

xwarrior

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
Not easy to find images that meet your criteria! Most signs and emoticons seem to get their message across clearly because they do not rely on language to convey meaning. A search on Google Images throws up a heap of emoticons and they all look straight-forward to me. 

Any lesson on SMS messages would be interesting. Wikipedia has a good outline (well, it looked good to me) of the linguistics relating to the topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language

Last year, a survey of New Zealand high school student’s usage of what I term ‘Crap English’ came up with an interesting result.  It seems that junior students (13 – 15 yrs) were the ones using ‘textese’, but by  graduation time (at 18 yrs)  students said they had ‘grown out of it’ and were using normal English. My impression, judging by postings on Facebook, is that those who never mastered spelling or grammar are the ones who carry on with textese. For many, I guess, it is one way of covering up their limitations.

I have just remembered that there is one emoticon that I consider to be problematic. Many of my female students use this emoticon when sending messages to me on QQ:

The emoticon is ‘live’ and the tongue moves from side to side. Check it out!

I know what message this emoticon conveys to me,  but I am damn sure it is not the one that the writer intended. While most of the QQ emoticons have been translated I cannot find the intended message of this one. So, if anyone out there wants to shatter another of my fantasies then you are welcome to offer an explanation. Unfortunately, it is most probably another example that cannot be used in your class. 

By the way, it does not pay to read too much into some of the language used on social media. One of my students has this on her QQ Profile - WDWLBSM***GG. I asked her what it means and she said it had no meaning. For some reason that did not surprise me at all.   
- Bette Midler

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
...I recently read that someone was heavily into planking inspired by an Internet meme...I can understand Shakespeare but that sentence made no sense.

Planking is where people put their hands by their sides and lie prone in a rigid fashion across/on top/beside, etc. an object that is normally "undecorated" by the human body, eg a car roof or fence top.  Then they have their picture taken as a memento.  Think "old fashioned magic/hypnotism trick" where a body is suspended between two chairs - head on one seat and feet on another - making like a human surfboard or plank.  Except this is done voluntarily. mmmmmmmmmm
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »
I know, I had to look it up online. Apparently there is also Tebowing and Owling, it would seem that if several people do something completely inane, adds -ing to it and puts it into a meme then it is a word with a meaning. I presume that if I walked into a jewelry store and started slobbering over the golden rings whilst muttering "My Precioussss" it would be Golluming. You argue that emoticons seems straightforward to you, however, you are used to them. In the same way that "Hamlet" seems straighforward to me. "Textese" can actually be carried out using only emoticons, creating a pictorial language where the meaning is from the sentence. Let's say that I wanted to communicate that I was very drunk last night, did not sleep at all, met a really pretty girl but I threw up and she left, leaving me very frustrated, I drank more and now I am hungover...but in emoticons.
 :alcoholic:  kkkkkkkkkk awawawawaw :th_cheekygal:  bibibibibi aaaaaaaaaa kkkkkkkkkk :th_cheekygal: llllllllll :alcoholic: :hangover:

Monkey King

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:19:11 AM »
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191955.pdf

'Toads on roads' is my favourite...the motorcycle jumping the car is also good!