What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #480 on: April 27, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
Haven't found anything about half siblings but i'll keep looking.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Monkey King

« Reply #481 on: April 27, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
Open minded, procrastinating middle born peacemaker here...doesn't explain why my older sister is such a lazy **** though.

« Reply #482 on: April 27, 2008, 09:25:42 PM »
A lot of that definitely ties in with me and my younger brother.   aoaoaoaoao
It is too early to say.

« Reply #483 on: April 28, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
I'm sorry, but i'm not having any of that. I don't believe a word of it, i'm definitely smarter than my older brother bbbbbbbbbb
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #484 on: April 28, 2008, 04:46:46 AM »
So if I'm smarter (and I'm the one who did well in school), then why is it that I'm the rebellious one, the dreamer and seeker after distant truths? More to the point the one who makes less money? There's a lot more to it than just primogeniture. "Daddy loves me and that's what counts" (from The Lion in Winter)

AMonk

« Reply #485 on: April 28, 2008, 04:50:48 AM »
I'm the eldest of 6 aoaoaoaoao  So what does that do to the "statistics"??  And for that matter, Hubby is #4 out of 9 (but first son).  What's his profile, I wonder??
Moderation....in most things...

Bugalugs

« Reply #486 on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:24 AM »
NZ scientists start to defrost big squid
By Xavier La Canna

For those of you who have trouble defrosting a steak in the microwave, spare a thought for New Zealand scientists tasked with thawing out a 500kg squid.

The massive colossal squid - the largest ever found - has been creating a headache for researchers trying to extract it from a giant block of ice.

The creature was frozen by fishermen who hauled it from Antarctica's icy waters in February last year.

Since then, the squid has defied attempts to defrost it intact, so scientists can properly examine and preserve it.

"We have never had a squid frozen in a block (of ice) before. Usually the squid we get come in bags and are frozen lengthwise," said a spokeswoman for Wellington's Te Papa Tongarewa Museum.

"They are very easy to defrost. You just put them onto an autopsy table and bang, there you go," she said.

"We are learning as we go with this one."

Scientists realised early on that just leaving the specimen in a room and allowing it to thaw would fail.

The squid's huge bulk would take days to defrost, leaving the outside to rot while the inside remained frozen.

An offer from an Australian academic to use a giant microwave to thaw it out was considered, but ultimately rejected, for fear of damaging the creature.

Scientists are confident a new thawing method, commenced on Monday, will be successful, and that they can start examining the creature on Wednesday.

The squid has been placed in a tank filled with salty water.

Because salt water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water, it will allow the freshwater ice around the creature to melt, while the surrounding liquid is kept at or below 0 degrees Celsius.

Scientists hope Wednesday's planned examination will unlock many secrets, including the squid's gender.

Female squid are usually larger than males, so if the specimen turns out to be a male it could mean much larger colossal squid are yet to be found.

Little is known about the life cycle of the colossal squid, but they are known to have huge beaks and unique swivelling hooks, which can tear prey apart.

Colossal squid are shorter but can grow to a far greater mass than the better known giant squid, and are thought to be more ferocious.

People interested in watching the squid thawing out and being examined can view a live webcam broadcast at www.tepapa.govt.nz.

« Reply #487 on: April 29, 2008, 03:07:23 AM »
News of the day (or yesterday)...

The Chasers are FREEE!!!!!!!! ababababab

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/28/2228926.htm

Watch the video 'The Chasers' response by Osama Bin Laden- priceless!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #488 on: April 29, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
Given that the price of oil seems to be driving so many prices up not to mention this fuelish insanity to make biofuel that has forced so many poor to be poorer still since price of grain risen so high.... Wondering how many feeling pinch as value of dollar falls to Yuan. Are our Ozlanders and Canukastani's holding their own or are you experiencing the same.

China Daily posted this today. I do worry about the French woman in the article who shifted from her usual canned tuna to a Chinese brand. If we are concerned of mecury in our tuna then the alternative  aoaoaoaoao

Comfort food starting to come at heavy price

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-04/24/content_6639690.htm             

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #489 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »
A lot of tinned seafood sold in Canada originates from Asian waters, shrimp too.  I recently read an article in an Ottawa paper about mom and pop grocery stores having a tough go because the cost of flour and bread has gone up so much many of their customers have cut back on staples and it's impacting their businesses.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #490 on: April 29, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »
Aussies have had their money rise against the greenback, and against the yuan - so I don't mind buying some more big toys here (lens for my camera).

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #491 on: April 29, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
Aussies have had their money rise against the greenback, and against the yuan - so I don't mind buying some more big toys here (lens for my camera).

LE, Enjoy it while you can. I'm sure there are those who will have an adavantage and those who don't. The next year, at least for USANIA, promises to be an interesting ride.
For me, I want to get someone to buy my car so I can end debt and if not go to the Big Silly for a year, at least have a long visit of a month +.
2009 will be my time to hopefully meet some of you.

Bugalugs

« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
Incredible footage has emerged of a man who was talked out of jumping off a bridge by emergency workers, only to slip and then fall into the windscreen of a fire truck as the vehicle moved into position to bring him down to safety.

The drama began when 'Bruce' walked onto a railway overpass in the NSW regional centre of Dubbo late last week.

He was seen carrying a bladder out of a cask of wine and appeared intoxicated.

Concerned family members called police and when they arrived Bruce threatened to jump off the 10m-high bridge.

A senior officer then negotiated with him over a loudspeaker but Bruce clambered over the bridge railing and became stuck in the steelwork support braces beneath the rail line.

It appeared the negotiators had successfully talked him out of jumping and encouraged Bruce to "hang in there, big fella" as a fire truck moved into position under the bridge with a view to lowering him onto the roof of the vehicle.

But with freakish timing, Bruce lost his grip just as the vehicle approached and slammed into the flat windscreen of the moving truck mid-fall.

Onlookers screamed as his limp body bounced and rolled to a stop on the dusty ground — but it turns out the bizarre event was a blessing in disguise.

Bruce was taken to Dubbo Base Hospital in a satisfactory condition and was found to have no broken bones or serious injuries, leaving emergency workers to conclude that the impact with the perspex screen of the truck may have saved his life.

Investigations are continuing.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #493 on: April 30, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
 aoaoaoaoao  "VEGEMITE is now a banned substance at the Beijing Olympics, following China's decision to stop the Australian team taking its own food to the Games.

In another example of the iron-clad control Beijing is trying to exert on foreigners, Games organisers have told Australia it must obtain all food from within China.

It is understood the Chinese have introduced the ban to maximise revenue for local food producers."

Bloody sabotage!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #494 on: April 30, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
So this means the US team will also be banned from bringing anything with them?

Although I can understand them wanting to ban vegemite - that food is more potent and strength giving than steroids!  Merely fear of competition on then part of the Chinese.  But the effects of vegemite (ask Babe) are long lasting - and so the power will remain.