New laptops

• 36 replies

phets72

Re: New laptops
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their imput particularly Humanaught and LE..

LE could you let me know about yours..

Phets

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
Something to consider if you are considering an OS other than XP, some places can only provide Internet access to XP. The place I am requires the use of rujie supplicant as authentication software. It only runs on XP and 2k.

Because of this, I can not connect my mac and am left using a school computer. Another teacher contacted the city Internet company about hooking up his Vista equipped computer to the city network and not using the school network at all. They can not make it work with Vista, and the authentication software will not run on Vista so the school network is not an option for him.

I am looking at getting a Asus computer (Eee PC) that runs Linux. There is no way to get ti on the Internet here and if I need Internet access with it I will need to travel to a wi-fi equipped Hostel in a major city.

Before buying, it is something to look into.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
Sorry.. just saw your post.
"Cheap yet capable."
I think the most important thing is service and help that's
local and reasonable. Then the brand is secondary.
I have personally had great experiences with Sony,
HP, Toshiba, and now Benq. They all have higher end
and less expensive versions. I wouldn't try an off-brand
that I didn't know. But despite talks of a lawsuit about
mislabeling, etc., some here have had good experiences with Hasee -
whom I had never heard of. So, go figure.

So, I refer to the local service and help factor once more.

Having been in the computer business for 22 years as a paid professional with experience in more types of hardware and software than you could ever  aaaaaaaaaa  , I bought a Benq laptop for the primary reason that it's white and looks cool. Oooooh white. Sexy.

Glad you're here then!  What cheap yet capable laptop would you recommend? yyyyyyyyyy

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 04:20:15 AM »
Asus, yeah.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 08:22:26 AM »
Having been in the computer business for 22 years as a paid professional with experience in more types of hardware and software than you could ever  aaaaaaaaaa  , I bought a Benq laptop for the primary reason that it's white and looks cool. Oooooh white. Sexy.

I am also a computer person and have a white computer because it is sexy.... but it is a macbook  agagagagag
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
So those computer people who bought for the sake of sex appeal are really telling us that there ain't no real difference between them, so might as well go for colour?  Women have known this for years - that's why we have the reputation of asking "Do you have that in silver?". ahahahahah

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »
Silver goes in the pocket. White goes with the furniture. Dunno about sexy, I prefer mine flesh coloured and wriggling.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.