Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »
Shroomy, I downloaded it as I do all my movies.
Find the old thread called 'torrent download sites' and you'll discover a world of movies and tv series at your fingertips. agagagagag
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »
Most Hugh Grant movies are all the same but I'm with Eric on this one  apapapapap. About a Boy was pretty good.

« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
Stupid romance portions aside, Notting Hill was a scream, the British cast anyway- Julia roberts kind of sucked.  Four Weddings and a Funeral was genuinely funny, too.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Shroomy

« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
Yeah, I've probably seen Four Weddings and a Funeral at least a dozen times.  It never gets old.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2008, 03:48:40 AM »
I recently watched another British funeral-related comedy, Death at a Funeral, which was quite funny, with the guy who plays Wash in Firefly doing a commendably good British accent.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:51 AM »
Hot Fuzz is another British movie I can recommend. It was no Shaun of the Dead, but Simon Pegg is funny and it was really well made.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Shroomy

« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2008, 03:50:51 AM »
I wanted to see Death at a Funeral before I left the States, but it hadn't come to my dark little corner yet.  How did you get it?

« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:05 AM »
Has anyone followed my advice and checked out "Dead Man's Shoes" or "This is England" yet?
It is too early to say.

« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2008, 05:45:32 AM »
I watched "Dead Man's shoes"...it was rather brutal...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »
Didn't see either in the DVD market today.

But I enjoyed watching Serenity.  And bonus - the DVD was a good enough copy that it included the extras - including the original soundtrack!!!!

« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2008, 05:50:24 AM »
I wanted to see Death at a Funeral before I left the States, but it hadn't come to my dark little corner yet.  How did you get it?

A friend lent me the DVD which he bought somewhere in Dalian...
It is too early to say.

Shroomy

« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
I've got to find a decent DVD place here.  My primary translator/guide/friend is too young to understand the needs of adults.  Well, most needs anyway. Our taste in films is very different.  Can you explain the torrent thing as easily as you did the avatars?  Most appreciated.

« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
Torrents.

Get and install utorrent.

Browse torrent websites--torrentspy.com, mininova.org for starters--and click on a download link you like.  A very short time later the "torrent" will have downloaded and utorrent will start up to ask if you want to download the "torrent" (the actual content of the torrent, not the whatchacallit, the first thing you downloaded), so tell it yay or nay, and that's when you find out if your internet service provider is or is not set up for that kind of downloading.  (Some of them aren't because webmasters have to have opened a port, or some such thing--utorrent has indicators down on the status bar that'll tell you what's going or not going on.)

Get used to leaving your computer on 24/7.

Strange British Movies

Dead Man's Shoes.  Strange movie.  Watched it a year or so ago.  I recall it felt strange, a little affected, but was compelling.  They didn't quite pull off the conceit, as I recall, but made a pretty good fist of trying.  I recall there was a commentary track or a Making Of doco on the copy I had, and that was interesting.

This is England.  A much better movie.  Real characters.  Genuine menace together with insight and an accomplished story.  Comparable to Romper Stomper, but with more accessible characters.

Ugly men movies?  Try an Oz film called The Boys.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2008, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned the characters in This is England.  For my money, that film was amongst the best I've ever seen for depicting *real* characters and friendships.

The bit at the beginning where Shaun first meets the gang hanging out under the bridge, is just spot on, and it makes it seem like they are friends in real life too.
It is too early to say.

AMonk

« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2008, 07:06:48 AM »
Tyler Perry's "Madea: Family Re-Union".  Very popular here.  Makes some good points, without preaching at you.  Madea, herself, is a HOOT! 
Moderation....in most things...