Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1875 on: December 27, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
The Interview was just bad. It was horrible from beginning to end. If Puerile Idiocy and No Talent Whatsoever got both high and drunk, had a lovechild WHO then grew up then gew up to be a colossal failure and descended into a maelstrom of drug and alcohol abuse and did not care at all what he did, completely let himself go and died in a ditch to be eaten by a donkey WHO subsequently had massive and explosive diarrhea over a toxic landfill, the result would be The Interview. Or at least, about as pleasant and entertaining. I knew any movie with Rogen and Franco would be reaching new Lows but this reached the ultimate low, rock-bottom and then got out the shovels and dug Down a few more feet.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1876 on: December 28, 2014, 01:10:01 AM »
And yet, well recieved in China...

http://www.ecns.cn/2014/12-26/148214.shtml

I liked the meta aspects. As a movie, it's a puerile waste of time. James Franco in particular is heinously unfunny. But if his character didn't go so far over the top as to barely even count as a characterisation, the rest of it couldn't happen, that rest being a shift in who can control the narrative. Culture, politics, all that shizzle, particularly where it comes to Asian commies, is near completely owned by propagandists on that side. 5000 years? Catastrophic destruction to rain down on all western interests? Finally poking at that kind of hysteria is a catharsis after so often having to bow down. So, toilet humour plus an infantile, though really not all that telling an undermining of dominant, frankly aggressive narratives... it's the lol. It's been a long while since I saw Team America, and possibly they did the "satire" better, but pfff, it seems like a while since anyone else did it at all.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1877 on: December 28, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
Charlie Chaplin showed how one satirizes a megalomaniac psycho on "The Dictator". Hell, even that Borat chap's movie was fun. The Interview failed on all points.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #1878 on: December 28, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Pfff, anyone can make a "satire" when you're already at war. It's almost mandatory.

« Reply #1879 on: December 28, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »
Also, lest we forget, consider the China blockbusters of recent times. Breakup Buddies, Lost in Thailand... Plus there's a whole online thing about "fatty Kim"... The Interview is going to fit right in.

« Reply #1880 on: December 28, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
And the Korean War ended when? The DMZ is still there, American troops are still in the viscinity. If being at war is a necessity, then America has had 50 plus years to do a good satire on NK. Satire does not need a war. Gulliver's Travels did not need a war. Tristram Shandy did not need a war. Jane Austen satirized English society, as did Oscar Wilde and neither of them needed a war to do so. Your argument is...well...not an argument. Chaplin and Cohen both showed intelligence and class when they made fun of their subjects. The Interview does not, I would not classify The Interview as satire because, to me, satire is intelligent humour. There was no indication anyone above the age of 5 having been involved in making that travesty. Prebuscent amateur toilet humour, vulgar slapstick, but not satire.

« Reply #1881 on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
If satire is the holding of vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings up to ridicule, then, technically, it's satire. Though, if the object of the satire was to be Kim Jong Un, then, since he is already such a caricature, one is, technically, hard pressed to see what was satirized. He's already a man-child with nuclear resources and a nation's necks under boot heels, and the rest of the movie was remarkably gentle on every other thing it could have poked fun at. But for as long as no one else comes forward to put into moving pictures that, man, it's kind of ridiculous how all these rigid commie dictatorships are so inhumanly stylized, and look how they prop themselves up on high-contrast, low content formal cultures, it's just so insane!, then this is what we have.

I think the movie was kind of gentle on Asian cultures. I think it plucked absurd parts out to highlight them, and I think I lol'd most often (aside from bum jokes) at those times I perceived, omg, that's an image that'll get the Chinese and/or Koreans bent out of shape, that stuff is super serious when they do it and omg now it's looking as comical as it always has been. As a late in the movie example, the trio of child guitarists, for instance. I think if they did that kind of thing *and* tried a Team America approach, it'd be racist. It'd be mocking Asian culture for even trying to be a culture at all. As it is, the damn movie was kinda almost inclusive, fingers bitten off an all. Hell, they even gave the machine gun to the girl.

« Reply #1882 on: December 28, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
Also, u hate them

cuz you ain't them.

boom.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1883 on: December 29, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Fantastic marketing for this movie.

This is a movie that I would never bother to see. (come on Eric... you had to have known what it was going to be.)

« Reply #1884 on: December 29, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »
Fantastic noise for this movie. Buzz isn't marketing, especially not if buzz means let's torrent this crap first. Marketing is when you hit a target group of paying customers hard enough they cough up money. It's possible the over-the-top language of the Sony "hackers" was meant to, dare I say it, satirize the death and destruction language that routinely comes out of North Korea and that the whole thing was a stunt (on top of an embarrassing email leak) to create some lowered resistance to actually paying to see this pablum.But slash and burn "marketing" like this is a one-off and comes back later to lower profits. And did people actually see it in theaters?

Actually, putting it that way, and knowing the movie was hardly blockbuster material to begin with, maybe it was "marketing". It's not like they were going to make that much money anyway, nor do they really need to make their brand seem any kind of premium thing...

« Reply #1885 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
I take it back. People pay for movies online. Who knew.

Sony: ‘The Interview’ Has Made Over $15 Million Online

“The Interview” is shaping up to be a groundbreaking VOD success, earning $15 million online through Saturday.

The comedy, which has earned nearly $3 million in theaters, was rented or downloaded over 2 million times since hitting the Web on Tuesday, Sony disclosed. It was never supposed to be this way.

The film about a hapless TV host tasked with assassinating Kim Jong-un was originally intended to be released on roughly 3,000 screens on Christmas day. It was expected to generate $20 million during its opening.

However, the gory subject matter likely inspired a cyber attack from North Korea that brought Sony to its knees. After hackers evoked 9/11 and threatened violence, a theatrical release was briefly scuttled before Sony backtracked and lined up 331 art house and independent theaters willing to show the film. Its decision to release the film simultaneously on-demand and theatrically infuriated major exhibitors who refused to show the picture on their screens.

Overhauling the film’s rollout required the input of its theatrical distribution team, as well as its home entertainment staff.

“We worked hard to get the film out there by Christmas day,” Rory Bruer, Sony Pictures president of worldwide distribution, told Variety on Sunday morning. “It was such a whirlwind to get it done that it kind of amazes me that we were able to make it happen.”...

The article goes on to say it cost $75 mil to make and market. So I suppose the question is: was the "cyber attack" real? Given the emails leak, one perhaps should guess that *a* cyber attack did happen. But was it North Korean (aka Chinese) hackers? I suppose it could have been, but since when are state-sponsored hackers patriotic? I suppose it'd be hilarious if it turns out they had no choice but to be.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #1887 on: December 29, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
People paid 15 million dollars online to watch that piece of crap?... Idiots!  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #1888 on: December 31, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
Haider (2014)

Hindi crime drama set in 1995's Indian-occupied Kashmir in a context of civilian disappearances. Story focuses on Haider, the poet son of a disappeared doctor. It's a bit ponderous for the first hour but changes dramatically after the intermission and the Hamlet storyline properly kicks in with Haider beginning to go nuts. Exactly one of the interminable musical interludes, Haider's Bismil number, is worth it, though the others do begin and end well. Good movie.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Official Trailer
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:32:34 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #1889 on: January 04, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »
"THE WATER DIVINER".  For his directorial debut, Russel Crowe opted for this big hearted fact based tale of a father searching for his missing sons on the battlefields of Gallipoli.  Russel also stars in this movie as the father. I am from the "bush" in OZ, so I probably understood some of the "country ways" better than city folk. The story is designed to hammer home its core principle of family values, in which the Turks and the Anzacs are no different. I have helped my husband with the windmills and have actually had a go at "divining" for water, so I can assure you that it is no "fairy tale".  It only rated 3 stars here in Oz, but I reckon the Aussies over there will enjoy it. I hope that some of you other folk will have a look at it and enjoy it and remember that it was set in the early 1900's. bfbfbfbfbf