Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

A-Train

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1515 on: February 09, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
Saw "Skyfall" yesterday. Not a big Bond fan and went to this one, basically, because it was the only English language movie around and was half-price. Maybe it benefited from low expectations, but I thought it was great. The Bond series is becoming more like the Bourne series, but this one had a sense of humor that was wicked and paid homage to the '60's Bond movies without dwelling on it. Judi Dench is still in it, but they've added Raph Fiennes, Javier Bardem and Albert Finney.  And the "Bond Girl" is updated, yet still sexy.

On a minor note, the opening credits were the best I've ever seen.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1516 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:41 AM »
Saw a weird Indy sort of movie last night called Chinese Takeout or alternate title "A Chinese Tale" in Spanish with English and Hebrew subs. Set in Buenos Aires. Some Mandarin dialogue and I actually caught a few words in it.
Sad and funny quite a treat.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1705786/][url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1705786/[/url]
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

fox

« Reply #1517 on: February 12, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
The Master  2012 movie. watched it in two sittings due to its almost two and a half hour duration. 

Need to be in the mood to appreciate this one, i thought. And it suited my chinese new year melancholy.

imdb is the place to read about it.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

fox

« Reply #1518 on: February 12, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
I like Eddie Murphy, his recent movie 'a thousand words' was good and thought provoking.

i dont understand why it is only rated less than 6 on imdb as i thought it was worth a lot higher.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763831/?ref_=sr_1

regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1519 on: February 14, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
Searching for Sugarman  - a quirky music documentary

+1

but unsure if happy or sad.

Great music. Outrageous story.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1520 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »
Lez Miz'rablz (sic)

A finely animated cd of rousing songs.

Some have suggested that so many close-ups is so much poor cinematography, but I'll disagree. The close up sung songs were riveting. Even Russ's.

(aka "Les Misérables")

« Reply #1521 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »
Speaking of "Lost" movies, I thought "Lost In Beijing" was well worth the two-hour investment.

Finally finished it, and agree. It should come with various psychic warning labels though. I found it almost too accurate. Thus, thumbs up, I guess.

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #1522 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:07 AM »
Saw "Jack Reacher" for free and still wanted my money back.

Couldn't agree more. I was wondering how tiny tot Tom Cruise would play Lee Child's 6'4", 240 lb. Jack Reacher. I wasn't surprised. He didn't.
In addition, the car chase scene. The "real" Jack Reacher is not a good driver.

« Reply #1523 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
Saw "Side Effects" yesterday starring Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Jude Law. I thought it was a good movie for males and females to see together. I also saw "Great Expectations" and to be honest, I found the bleakness of the scenery, very depressing. Has anyone else seen either or both of these?

« Reply #1524 on: March 16, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
The g/f has been trying to get me to see "Upsidedown" for a few days. I ran out of excuses so we went to see it last night. Except for a few instances, she had no trouble understanding the plot and dialogue. That's how lame the movie was.

I'm a hardcore sci-fi buff, but even I couldn't agree with much of the premise. And the story itself was such a vieled "Romeo and Juliette" it made me cringe.

To add insult to injury, how's this for imaginative names;
Hero- Adam
Love Interest- Eden
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1525 on: April 27, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
Saw "Song for Marion" yesterday starring Vanessa Redgrave and Terrence Stamp. The acting was good and the story was sad. There were about 80 old farts at the movie and I heard a lot of nose blowing and saw eyes being wiped. There was plenty of humour there too. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1526 on: April 28, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
Man I hate going to a theatre in China. The exception is when you are in a VIP room. The next closest person to you is half a mile away. I'm tired of asking folks to turn off their phones, not the noise, the bright light.

We saw The Croods (aka The Flintstones on Planet Avatar) I don't know why the critcs panned it, it is what it is; a made for yung'ns cartoon. I read some of the reviews and couldn't believe they trashed the movie for plot, jokes and whatnot. Folks, don't you have kids? Like they care about that shit!

The movie was pretty funny, a little heavy on dialogue for a kids' movie but amusing. The baby is uber-cool and yes the plot is predictable. You want sophistication, go read aTom Clancy or a John le Carré book or something
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #1527 on: April 28, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »
Watched Odysseus Island of the mists.

Not anything to rave about, but much better than the usual crop of films produced by syfy. THey stay fairly accurate with the mythology but the scripting and production leaves much to be desired.
Still standing

A-Train

« Reply #1528 on: April 28, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
Man I hate going to a theatre in China. The exception is when you are in a VIP room. The next closest person to you is half a mile away. I'm tired of asking folks to turn off their phones, not the noise, the bright light.

Yeah, it's even worse than in the States. But, the Chinese are surprisingly responsive to a stern request to turn it off. Just giving them dirty looks, of course, is of no value whatsoever.

I agree with you on the review thing. It would be like analyzing plot points and character developments of a Marx Brothers' movie.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

AMonk

« Reply #1529 on: April 28, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
... It would be like analyzing plot points and character developments of a Marx Brothers' movie.

bkbkbkbkbk
Moderation....in most things...