A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

icebear

• ????
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
Good news - just received my passport back with a shiny new Z visa. Single entry, good until Oct (I come back next week), although I'm a bit perplexed by "Duration of each stay 000 days after each entry". Is this because I need to convert to a residence permit the day I arrive?

« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
Single-entry Z visa? Does that mean you can't leave the country for travel?

I've got my trip to the PSB later today. I'll let everyone know how my renewal goes. I'm sure they'll give me some lecture about behaving appropriately.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
Yes, icebear. Before with that visa you'd get a green book called residence permit. Now your company should get change that Z to residency in your passport.

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »
No problems at PSB today. The officer didn't look at the original documents, didn't look at me, didn't ask any questions. Gave my co-worker the bill, took the receipt, and stamped everything. Should have my passport back with the new visa next Thursday.

There was a Korean family in front of me that got yelled at for some reason--looked like a heated argument, and drew a couple more officers to the desk. Maybe the officer was just too angry to ask questions when I got up.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »
Question:

I just got my 3 month visa back... but it says "residence permit" without any mention of "Z-visa".  Why not?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »
Who knows. In theory, if you have a Residence Permit, a Z Visa should be completely irrelevant.

However, some recent reports have indicated being required to also show a Z. Whether this is new official policy, or just some local greaseball cop with a boner for foreigners, is anybody's guess.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Ruth

« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
On the residence permit there is a line that says 'pupose of residence.'  I have two Chinese characters that mean 'work'.  I know sometimes that space can have several characters that means one is the spouse of someone who is here for work reasons.  I would presume that those who are here on a spouse visa because they are married to a Chinese person would have that indicated.

Con, get a Chinese friend to read that for you (unless your Chinese is good enough - mine isn't)
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
BECAUSE IN CHINA THEY DONT ISSUE Z VISAS, JUST RESIDENCE PERMITS WITH THE PURPOSE - WORK  afafafafaf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
That's been true a lot of places. But again, after some recent reports I have to wonder if it's universally true or not...or for that matter, still true anywhere. It's a real mess out there. llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
 offtopic I just realized I typed the previous message in capitals  bibibibibi Anyway, as Bugs said in another thread - if you ever had a Z visa stamped in your passport, then you won't have to get another one and keep getting residence permits.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »
So I think you're saying...those with a Residence Permit are required to have had a Z Visa at some point in their stay here, but after that the Z doesn't have to be renewed...only the Permit.
Well, maybe that's the deal.
Since most of us who live to tell the tale have had a Z visa early in their stay in China, we may have just never noticed this.

But...is this new, or just being enforced at last... mmmmmmmmmm

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:28 AM »
 That's the thing...a lot of recent deportations (such as Bugs) aren't really a result of new regulations, but stricter enforcement of ones that have been in place for a long time but up until now have been basically ignored.

Seen three friends get the heave ho in the past week. None of them actually had to go home...simply leave the country and get a new Z visa. Two took it pretty well...the third...oy vey. Literally called himself a victim of Chinese bureauacracy when he was in fact a victim of his own bad decisions.

He came here on a tourist visa (returning after a two year stay and three month visit back home) with no job or plan. When his 30 day visa was about to run out, he paid a (illegal) visa agency for a 6 month Z visa. Thing is, these things cost a fortune and aren't renewable. The visa is issued under the name of a company that doesn't exist, and in order to get an extension of more than 30 days ( you can only get the the thirty day extension once...mostly because many schools require you you teach until the last day of your original visa...which basically means you need to teleport home) you need a letter from the company that originally sponsored your visa. Even though he is working now, his visa can't be renewed because his visa was sponsored by a company that doesn't exist.

I don't feel a bit sorry for him. Coming here without a Z visa or job was...boneheaded. Acting surprised because you can't renew a visa you paid some back alley schmuck 1500 for is pathetic.

Lessons to learn from this....1. Know your shit. I told him he wouldn't be able to renew that visa months ago and now he is in Korea wondering why I don't feel sorry for him

2. Enforcing the rules and putting corrupt visa agencies out of business is a good thing. Same with putting an end to employers who illegally employ people on F visas.

3. This isn't our country. As the boss has said before...we have no rights here. And we all have shelf life. They have every right to change the rules as they see fit, and we have the right to do what we're told. Maybe I've been here too long...but it seems reasonable

AMonk

« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
That's the thing...a lot of recent deportations (such as Bugs) aren't really a result of new regulations, but stricter enforcement of ones that have been in place for a long time but up until now have been basically ignored.

....Maybe I've been here too long...

I don't think that's the case, DeC.  In a slightly offtopic mode...

Students going to the USA to study now have to jump through such a multitude of hoops that Ringling Brothers would hire them in an instant.  This all came in after 9/11. 

IMHO, PRC just seems to be following in the footsteps of the rest of the world - late.  Of course the timing is b-a-d, but that's not really anything new, is it?

Does it suck?  Yes.  But for those who do what they need to do, from the beginning.....there should be at least a fair shot at the brass ring, Innit?  Or at least that's the way it's looking to me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:11:43 PM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:04 AM »
Recent article from ESL Daily, found at http://blog.esldaily.org/2008/07/02/china-tightens-the-restrictions-on-foreign-teachers.aspx

China Tightens the Restrictions on Foreign Teachers
Posted by ESL Daily at 7/2/2008

It appears that China may be opening its doors wider to foreigners as the Summer Olympic quickly approach.  However, this is not entirely true, China has been closing other doors.  Earlier this year ESL Daily reported that China has been making it more and more difficult for foreigners to receive visas for more than 30 days (China gets tough on teachers).  China now has been denying renewal of teachers work visas. 

As the Summer Olympics draw near, foreigners are discovering that the welcome mat they had expected is being abruptly rolled up. Thousands of foreigners have been kicked out before today's deadline as a result of tough new visa policies. Those forced to leave include nondiplomatic support staffers at embassies, migrant workers, freelance writers, artists and students. – LA Times

Over 100 000 foreigners were expected to leave Beijing alone prior to the end of last month.  Those wishing to return will only receive 30 day visitor visas.  This short visa makes being a foreign worker or even student very difficult and expensive.  Many foreigners are departing the country and not returning.  The government has been issuing longer stay working visas to teachers, however large restrictions do apply in many situations.  The government has been asking teachers to have ‘advanced degrees’ (unclear if this means Masters or just Bachelors), at least two years teaching experience and be over the age of 25.  However, you may want to call your local Chinese embassy first before packing your bags, most embassies now only give 30 day visas now regardless of your job and credentials. 
More on this story can be found in the LA Times.

« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »
Oh dear.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.