What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2007, 08:12:34 AM »
Writers always get crap.

They make up the ideas, write them out, get all the plots, characters etc fixed up, bleed for months or years over the typewriter ... and then  get a pittance. Some guy with a face and no brain acts the part, gets about 100 times the writers pay for the whole of their life for 3 months work acting the role the writer invented, and gets lauded for the rest of their life and invited to conventions. Everyone else involved gets lots, too. Probably the best boy makes more than the writer who thought the whole thing up. I know that many TV stars (eg star trek, sf movies, etc) get more for a single appearance at a single convention than the writer got for creating the movie, TV series and/or episode.

At a convention the writers get together and get drunk out the back having arrived more than likely paying for themselves to get there (even famous ones usually only break even), their own accommodation and their own food and beer.

However, they are much more interesting.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
TheCBC offered this today:

COLLEEN ROSS: WORD OF MOUTH
Lost in translation
Colourful Chinglish words enter global English
November 8, 2007
I'm in China, covering the Women's World Cup of soccer for CBC Radio. It's another late night and I'm resorting to room service to quell the rumbling in my tummy. But, scanning the menu, I'm not at all sure about the offerings: "stuffed fatty meat pork" makes me squirm. "Slobbering chicken," "lion head" or "cheese melting in ham parcel" … I'm not sold. I opt for the complimentary apples on my table — at least I know what I'm getting.

English mistranslations of food dishes are rampant in China. My favourite example comes through the dietitian for the Canadian women's soccer team. For obvious reasons, the players were very careful not to be too experimental with food. Chicken is usually a safe bet, but not when the dish is translated as "the fragrance explodes the cowboy bone." That could have been too, well, explosive.

Other examples of mistranslations abound. A massage therapist advertises: "Relex your tired of bady"; a toilet for a disabled person is labelled "Deformed man toilet"; a slippery road is marked "Beware, the slippery are very crafty" (but they are!). "Drinktea" is hung on a shop door to mean it's closed (it also means "resting" in Mandarin). Yes, Chinglish is the weird and wonderful result of an English dictionary colliding with Chinese ideograms that often have multiple meanings.

These linguistic delicacies may well stay in China, but some experts say Chinglish words are zipping around the globe, even working their way into the English language.

Photo Gallery: Shanghai subway Chinglish by Anthony Germain
The Global Language Monitor tracks and analyzes trends in global English. Its president, Harvard-educated linguist Paul Payack, says the Chinglish phenomenon is helping drive the globalization of the English language, contributing up to 20 per cent of new global English words. Payack says the rate has increased in the past several years because of China's rising number of English speakers and economic boom. The surge in internet users has allowed for the free flow of Chinglish.

In its most recent annual survey, GLM selected the top Chinglish words: No noising (quiet, please!), airline pulp (food served on a plane), jumping umbrella (hang-glider) and question authority (information booth, interestingly enough). I decided to take some local words back home with me, stuffing them into my already bloated suitcase: financial supermarket (what better word for one store offering stocks, insurance and real estate services?) and super brand mall (only top-end items, please).

Payack says unless a word is on paper, the Oxford English Dictionary doesn't count it, but he insists the real language is what's spoken and what's used on the internet. "Maybe only five per cent of Chinglish words will stick around," he says, "but that's a lot." He expects the language cycle will go into high gear during next year's Beijing Olympics.

The rising influence of China is coming not only through Chinese-influenced English, but also through its more famous export: Mandarin, the most widely spoken language on the planet. And beyond China's borders, tens of millions of people are now picking up scribes and learning to ink ideograms.

"If Mandarin Chinese ever becomes the first choice of a second language to learn, as English has been, there is … less of a chance for these Chinglish expressions to survive or make significant impact," University of Victoria linguistics professor Hua Lin says. If Mandarin becomes so popular that people speak Mandarin instead of English as a second language, people will communicate less in English, giving it less chance to be influenced by Chinese, Lin explains. Meanwhile, China's biggest cities are intent on sweeping the streets clear of unintelligible Chinglish. Beijing has launched a campaign to stamp out bad English in time for its international debut at next year's Olympics.

At Shanghai's Foreign Languages Institute, a bespectacled Zhang Jiani has spearheaded a student initiative to clean up English on menus, in taxis, in shops and in banks. She's an accounting student, but says this is her civic duty: "I think most of the students here have some English skills and I think it's our responsibility to do something for the city." She says they must, if Shanghai is to market itself as a truly international city.

So, once every few weeks, she meets up with a group of students to trek through designated parts of the city. Equipped with electronic dictionaries, they studiously note any suspected mistranslations. They get the correct wording from a professor, then deliver it to the perpetrator who, they hope, makes the correction.

Drinktea may mean closed for business, but this up-and-coming generation of Chinese will work until the worst of the Chinglish is laid to rest.

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2007, 06:12:35 PM »
China puts traditional focus on new holidays
By Winny Wang 2007-11-10

THE Chinese government yesterday announced a major overhaul of its national holiday system.

The May Day Golden Week has been canceled but three traditional festivals have been added as national holidays.

The draft proposal worked out by a special panel after more than a year's research has been posted on the Internet for public discussion.

If accepted, the proposal could be enacted in time for the 2008 Spring Festival.

It means workers will receive one more paid day off each year if the draft amendment to statutory holiday laws is approved.

The three-day May Day holiday will be cut to one day, while the Tomb-sweeping Festival, Dragon Boat Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival will become national vacations, according to the draft, which was released by the government's office in charge of national holidays.

That raises the number of paid holiday days to 11 from 10.

The Spring Festival break will begin on Lunar New Year's Eve instead of the first day of the Chinese New Year, and the holiday will end a day earlier, the draft said.

People can vote or voice an opinion on the draft at China's major Websites such as Sina.com, People.com and Xinhuanet.com.

China introduced the Golden Week holidays in 1999 to boost domestic consumption.

Tourism revenue soared from 14.1 billion yuan (US$1.90 billion) during the 1999 National Day holiday to 64.2 billion yuan during the recent Golden Week in October.

However, complaints about overcrowding, poor service, a scarcity of hotel rooms and damage to scenic spots, especially historic sites, during the Golden Week breaks have spurred debate over the merits of the weeklong holiday concept.

According to Xinhua news agency, an official of the special panel said the new plan takes into account five key principles:

The number of legal holidays should mirror the current phase of economic and social development;

The legal holiday arrangement should help pass on traditional customs and culture;

Negative effects on the economy and society should be minimized;

All citizens should share in social justice via the achievements of economic and social development;

People should have the right to rest and travel.

Timely move

The official said the new arrangement will be enacted along with regulations on paid vacations. It will ensure that people have enough time to travel, yet won't all be on the move at the same time.

"Making traditional festivals legal holidays will help carry forward Chinese history and culture, benefit 1.3 billion Chinese citizens, help build a harmonious society and enhance the cohesion of the Chinese nation," said Ji Baocheng, a deputy to the National People's Congress and president of Renmin University of China in Beijing.

During its research, the panel investigated the holiday arrangements of other countries, consulted experts, citizens and law makers, and conducted online and phone polls.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:49 PM »
 The May holiday has been cut to one day?!?!? aoaoaoaoao asasasasas llllllllll

I am SO not impressed.

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
Wait, how will this affect the MIDI festival? aqaqaqaqaq

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2007, 09:49:58 PM »
The May holiday has been cut to one day?!?!? aoaoaoaoao asasasasas llllllllll

I am SO not impressed.

They are still talking about using the weekends before and after as work days giving more time off during the holiday.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:04 PM »
This takes  re-cycling to a whole new, level!!!

China recycling used condoms as cheap hair bands

November 13, 2007 - 3:09PM

Used condoms in southern China are being recycled into hair bands and they are selling well in local markets and beauty salons.

But they could spread sexually-transmittable diseases the condoms were originally meant to prevent, state media reported today.

Rubber hair bands have been found in local markets and beauty salons in Dongguan and Guangzhou cities in southern Guangdong province, China Daily newspaper said.

"These cheap and colourful rubber bands and hair ties sell well ... threatening the health of local people," it said.

Despite being recycled, the hair bands could still contain bacteria and viruses, it said.

"People could be infected with AIDS, warts or other diseases if they hold the rubber bands or strings in their mouths while waving their hair into plaits or buns," the paper quoted a local dermatologist as saying.

A bag of ten of the recycled bands sells much cheaper than others on the market, accounting for their popularity, the paper said.

China's manufacturing industry has been repeatedly tarnished this year by a string of scandals involving shoddy or dangerous goods made for both domestic and foreign markets.

I wonder who collects them??
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »
Oh my dear God!!!  aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa Congratulations George, you win the prize for "Most revolting and disgusting news reported as yet". And may I add...yuck!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2007, 06:16:57 AM »
I've decided that I never read it, it never happened and...

What?  What's in the news today?  aeaeaeaeae

englishmoose.com

« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2007, 01:41:56 AM »
Ah, mere sewage!  That'll improve the taste in my mouth...

Record amount of waste dumped in China's Yangtze River Tue Nov 13, 10:27 PM ET

BEIJING (AFP) - A record 30.5 billion tonnes of industrial, farming and human waste were dumped last year into China's Yangtze River, the country's longest, state media reported.

The quantity was twice as much as two decades ago and an increase of 900 million tonnes, or 3.1 percent, from the previous year, Xinhua news agency said late Tuesday.

The widespread dumping of industrial, agricultural and domestic waste has seriously polluted the Yangtze, a situation some ecologists warn will be worsened by the massive Three Gorges dam, which they say will create a "giant toilet bowl" of trapped sewage behind it.

The Asian Development Bank last month warned that water pollution in China, driven by rapid industrialisation and urbanisation, had reached "alarming" levels.

Xinhua, quoting a study by the Yangtze River Water Resources Commission, said 2006 was the first year sewage dumping had increased by less than five percent.

A joint Swiss-Chinese report said earlier this month that Yangtze pollution was "enormous" but added the ecological damage could be reversed if the government took aggressive steps.

Numerous unique species have been driven to the brink of extinction in the river, including the white-fin dolphin and Yangtze river sturgeon.

englishmoose.com

« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »
I...I....I...once went swimming in that river...oh the horror... aoaoaoaoao aaaaaaaaaa
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2007, 03:02:18 AM »
Here is an interesting article about the Three Gorges Dam. Unfortunatly, it is in german.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/artikel/621/141316/
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »
Chinese Law Student Sues Censor Board

Angry that Chinese censors ordered graphic sex scenes removed from Ang Lee's Lust, Caution, a Chinese student at China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing has filed a lawsuit against the State Administration of Radio Film and Television, alleging that it had infringed on his "consumer rights" and "society's public interest," the Beijing Times reported today (Wednesday). The student, Dong Yanbin, is demanding that the board apologize and pay him the equivalent of $67 for "psychological damages." Analysts believe that it is unlikely that Chinese courts will accept the case.

I got this fromt the IMDB. 67 Dollars? I really do hope they got that wrong or this is one unambitious law student.

Newbs

« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »
When I first heard about this story I could see the funny side of it.  On reading it fully it seems more serious.  Still, I'm posting it.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22835095-29277,00.html
Jailed sailors may learn fate todayFrom correspondents in Los Angeles
November 28, 2007 06:27am
Article from: AAPFont size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
TWO Australian Navy sailors jailed in California for a vicious fight with an American man about the merits of Aussie rules football will learn today if US prosecutors will pursue serious assault charges against them.

Philip Graeme Ferres, 26, and Kolis Barba, 24, have been locked up in San Diego's Central Jail since their arrest in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Police accuse them of hitting and kicking their alleged victim, breaking his eye socket, after an argument flared at a party about Australian rules football and America's gridiron.

The alleged victim, a 28-year-old San Diego man, was a fan of gridiron while the Australians were talking up the virtues of AFL, which led to the fight, police said.

A spokesperson for the San Diego District Attorney's office said prosecutors were mulling over the evidence today to decide what charges, if any, will be filed against the two sailors, who arrived in the southern Californian city aboard the HMAS Sydney last week.

If charges are laid, Ferres and Barba will likely appear before a San Diego judge tomorrow.

San Diego police booked the Australians on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, with the deadly weapon being their feet.

The American man was taken to hospital.

Ferres and Barba claimed they acted in self defence.

They feared for their lives because they believed their alleged victim would get a weapon, police said.

The HMAS Sydney, which was moored at the US Naval Base San Diego for five days, left San Diego on Saturday without the two men.

Bit silly to get in a fight over which code of football is the best, when it's bloody obvious that Australian Rules is best. uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »
It's a good thing Rugby Union wasn't mentioned... someone might've been killed!
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin