What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2700 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
'Disgusting' and 'extraordinary' scenes as Chinese delegation shouts down welcome ceremony

Participants at an intergovernmental meeting hosted by Australian foreign minister Julie Bishop in Perth have described "disgusting" and "extraordinary" scenes as the Chinese government delegation shouted over the welcome to country ceremony and forced the suspension of proceedings....

Chinese Delegation Blows Up at Anti-Conflict Diamond Meeting to Sideline Taiwan

Chinese diplomats threw protocol and respect out the window when they loudly disrupted a welcome ceremony at an international conference in Australia, sparking sharp rebuke from other foreign diplomats....
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2701 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:46 AM »
Jeez... the Chinese government has been admonishing their ordinary citizens to behave when they go abroad as tourists. Now, it seems they should do the same with their 'diplomats'.
 bibibibibi
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:11:13 AM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2702 on: May 04, 2017, 04:11:20 AM »
I think whenever something like this happens, the first audience is always the people at home. These diplomats are speaking first and foremost to Beijing. I don't know what exactly it means that their performance will be well-received, but I'm going to assume that it will be. I think the same is probably true for the fervour you see in Chinese students abroad and in the "community" organizations Australia in particular seems to be seeing more of lately. These kinds of demonstration are one of the tangible ways in which China is and remains the center of the(ir) world.

« Reply #2703 on: May 04, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
And as fate would have it, coin side two other:

'I am Fan Yusu': China gripped by Dickensian tale of a migrant worker's struggle

The online essay chronicling the dismal plight of millions of Chinese has turned its unassuming author into an overnight literary sensation...

“I Am Fan Yusu” – Beijing Migrant Worker’s Writing Takes Chinese Internet by Storm

A moving essay by a Beijing migrant worker has gone viral over Chinese social media this week. Although the article named “I Am Fan Yusu” (我是范雨素) is currently the best-read article in China, the 44-year-old author, who has become China’s literary sensation overnight, just hopes she can live her life in peace....

« Reply #2704 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Music Video: The Belt and Road, Sing Along

Hey diddle diddle, cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the mooooooo...

« Reply #2705 on: May 23, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
Explosion, Panic and Death at Ariana Grande Concert in England

MANCHESTER, England — An explosion that may have been a suicide bombing killed at least 19 people on Monday night and wounded dozens at an Ariana Grande concert filled with adoring adolescent fans in what the police were treating as a terrorist attack....

« Reply #2706 on: May 25, 2017, 05:14:11 PM »
The rebellious island that shall remain nameless has ruled that same-sex marriage is legal and must change the constitution to reflect the law within two years.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-taiwan-lgbt-marriage-idUSKBN18K0UN
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2707 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
That will put an interesting item on the table when the negotiations for status like HK and Macao finally begin.

Will the mainland stick to the One Country - Two Systems plan, or will it say "There are some changes you need to make before we let you guys back into the club and run up the flag?"  If the former, how will the mainland handle same sex marriages between two mainlanders on vacation or same sex marriages between a mainlander and a person from that offshore province?  How about a married same sex couple moving to the mainland?

Should be interesting to watch and see what develops.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2708 on: June 19, 2017, 12:31:41 AM »
Chinese students are losing interest in working at international firms

The desire to work for international companies is waning amongst China's best and brightest.

Scoring a job at a big Western firm used to carry serious cache in China, but now just 18% of Chinese college students say they want to work for an international company, according to a new survey conducted by research firm Universum. That's down from 28% two years ago.

Local companies are growing faster and seen as more innovative, according to William Wu, Universum's country manager for China.

"In that sense, the international companies do not have a clear advantage anymore," Wu said. "There are more good employers on the market now, and they're not just international brands."...

/no more English, no more books, no more teacher's foreign looks

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2709 on: June 26, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
And so ends the dream:

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/06/22/straddling-bus-gone.php

Monster buses riding over traffic (and crushing anything crossing their paths) will have to wait.  The one and only track for the project is being ripped up. ananananan

Meanwhile, those looking for the next "What can possibly go wrong?" concept in transportation can still pin their hopes on autonomous cars and flying cars. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2710 on: July 04, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
You break it, you bought it.  uuuuuuuuuu

http://nypost.com/2017/06/29/tourist-faints-in-store-after-breaking-44000-bracelet/

Maybe next time, check the price before trying it on. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2711 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
You won't belieb what China did next!!!

Justin Bieber banned from China for 'bad behaviour'

Beijing’s culture bureau says star has caused ‘discontent among the public’ and his exclusion is needed to ‘purify’ arts

“I just need one more shot, second chances,” Justin Bieber sings on his latest album.

Not least, it seems, with Chinese authorities who have announced the Canadian pop idol will not be allowed to perform in the People’s Republic because of his on and offstage antics.

Bieber will jet into Asia later this year as part of his Purpose World Tour with shows scheduled in Indonesia, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong. But Beliebers in mainland China look set to be disappointed....

#notTheOnion

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2712 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »

Beijing’s culture bureau says star has caused ‘discontent among the public’ and his exclusion is needed to ‘purify’ arts

“I just need one more shot, second chances,” Justin Bieber sings on his latest album.

Not least, it seems, with Chinese authorities who have announced the Canadian pop idol will not be allowed to perform in the People’s Republic because of his on and offstage antics.

Bieber will jet into Asia later this year as part of his Purpose World Tour with shows scheduled in Indonesia, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong. But Beliebers in mainland China look set to be disappointed....

#notTheOnion

things like these make me almost believe in this country... best thing ever! we trust the party to keep us safe from Bieber
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #2713 on: July 25, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »
Bieber is the new Google.

Probably banned for much the same eventual reason. To protect local competitors.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2714 on: July 27, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »

#notTheOnion

Thank you China!!!   bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag btbtbtbtbt agagagagag bjbjbjbjbj

(Now if only we can get the central gov't to explain to certain foreign fast food chains that a chicken sandwich is not, never has been, and never will be a "burger")
EscapedLunatic.com