What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2175 on: September 12, 2013, 01:00:31 AM »
I have never sold or purposely destroyed a book. A few by accident. I can't fathom any reason for book burning
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2176 on: September 12, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

old34

« Reply #2177 on: September 12, 2013, 04:12:32 AM »
If you substituted Chinese for the first column (albeit in a simpler, less droll diction), the second and third columns would be about the same vis-a-vis Chinese communication.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #2178 on: September 12, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
Actually, its a bit more complicated than that table, I use the phrases and do mean the 'third' column meaning mostly, unless I am unleashing my razor sharp sarcasm.
I'll add one (to a woman) 'those clothes look quite exotic on you' means 'you look like a slag!'

« Reply #2179 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
I kind of assumed all English speakers did this, at least in a business context.

"I think you have a valuable contribution to make to the discussion" = and that contribution should be silence from now on.

"I don't want to interrupt / disagree / take anything anyway from your comments / be unduly negative" = but unfortunately I have to, because you're an idiot.

"You make an excellent point" = You're completely wrong, but unfortunately you're my boss.

"So, if I understand what you're saying correctly....." = I'm going to take the garbled incoherent nonsense you just spouted and turn it into one of my trademark pearls of wisdom.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer any good at brit-talk. A couple of weeks ago in a meeting I said to my FAO, "Can you talk in English, so we know when you're saying something incorrect". 

« Reply #2180 on: September 12, 2013, 07:37:46 PM »
A couple of weeks ago in a meeting I said to my FAO, "Can you talk in English, so we know when you're saying something incorrect". 

ahahahahah

Been there. My ex-FAO was a Brit

A-Train

« Reply #2181 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
A little like post-game, coach-speak:

"Our guards played inspired defense" = They couldn't shoot to save their lives

"We came to play today, but the breaks went against us" = They beat us like a red-headed stepchild, but at least we didn't pout and go home.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #2182 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
So we have developed a culture where we can, safe behind Net pseudonyms, defame, insult and upset people and our only possible response is to engage in some argument with the faceless accuser because if we actually do something about it in person, we risk our job. Read this article from CNN. I do not think the teacher over-reacted.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/12/world/americas/mexico-teacher-twitter/index.html?iref=obnetwork
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2184 on: September 15, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
So we have developed a culture where we can, safe behind Net pseudonyms, defame, insult and upset people and our only possible response is to engage in some argument with the faceless accuser because if we actually do something about it in person, we risk our job. Read this article from CNN. I do not think the teacher over-reacted.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/12/world/americas/mexico-teacher-twitter/index.html?iref=obnetwork

Yeah, back in my day we'd call her a bitch and a whore to her face.

« Reply #2185 on: September 19, 2013, 12:58:07 AM »
Great job ad:  http://jobs.echinacities.com/jobchapter/1354412090

Crystal shooting magazines, foreigners need upper body half-naked female models one day wages 5000-8000

Job Description:
Crystal shot magazine, you need upper body half-naked female models expatriate wages 5000-8000 one day, interested please send photos [ bikini or underwear] photo [model card ] my mailbox

Guess it's time to wax my chest   aoaoaoaoao

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2186 on: September 19, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Guess it's time to wax my chest   aoaoaoaoao

Males have to do lower body... so you need a Brazilian as well.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

NATO

« Reply #2187 on: September 29, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »
I have never sold or purposely destroyed a book. A few by accident. I can't fathom any reason for book burning

I haven't read this article, but it's from a magazine that releases one essay per day, and they are mostly thought-provoking and interesting. I strongly recommend the magazine to everyone, it's managed to work it's way into my life due to it's fantastic content.  http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/julian-baggini-burning-books/

« Reply #2188 on: October 02, 2013, 12:32:30 AM »
Apparently, the American government is having a bit of a tiff, involving health care and has gone into a partial shut-down. It seems that the GOP are miffed that people have to buy medical insurance. I am no political mastermind, so can anyone please explain this to me? Why is this health care proposal so troublesome?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #2189 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:25 AM »
The republicans didn't do it so they want it cancelled.  bibibibibi llllllllll llllllllll

AND,  Big business might suffer if it isn't cancelled.  llllllllll

Poor people and sick people with pre-existing conditions shouldn't be allowed to have health care.   llllllllll llllllllll asasasasas asasasasas
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.