What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2055 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:38 AM »
Err...Guangzhou Writer, please try to add some information to links when posting them. We have had unpleasantness happen before due to people being miffed about the place the links led them to, so a bit more info than "Bad story/good story" would be good  agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #2056 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:42 AM »
But then my sociological experiment won't be valid :)

Ok, I got it.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2057 on: June 24, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

« Reply #2058 on: June 24, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »
The guns are rare, however the rampages are not. A couple of years ago there was war declared on young students by crazed guys using mostly machetes.

Brutal
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2059 on: June 24, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
The guns are rare, however the rampages are not. A couple of years ago there was war declared on young students by crazed guys using mostly machetes.

Brutal

Every week at least there's something on the Changsha news like that. Much higher occurrence in the summer. Two days ago there was a story about a guy who killed his girlfriend by chopping at the back of her neck with 'a large knife' as they called it. They showed her laying on the ground with this massive wound to her neck, he pretty much decapitated her. It's amazing how graphic an image/video they will show on the evening news. Also, they almost never talk about what motivated the attacks and didn't in this case, just what happened.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2060 on: June 24, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
 Thailand is really bad for that. They have these tabloids that routinely publish cover stories replete with full colour glossy photos of people burned alive in car accidents and their brains literally blown out .

I remember one day the gf picked up the paper and rather nonchalantly said, "Oh....so sad. This poor girl from Laos was in a car accident and got head cut off." And there it was, man....in glorious technicolor. Veins still spurting... aaaaaaaaaa

And the thing is...that wasn't even really NEWS. It was only on the front page because they got the requisite "horror show" photo out of it.

« Reply #2061 on: June 24, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
Thailand is really bad for that. They have these tabloids that routinely publish cover stories replete with full colour glossy photos of people burned alive in car accidents and their brains literally blown out .

I remember one day the gf picked up the paper and rather nonchalantly said, "Oh....so sad. This poor girl from Laos was in a car accident and got head cut off." And there it was, man....in glorious technicolor. Veins still spurting... aaaaaaaaaa

And the thing is...that wasn't even really NEWS. It was only on the front page because they got the requisite "horror show" photo out of it.

Same in Italy. Except it was photos of either mafia hits or lovers's quarrels (not a joke!)

A-Train

« Reply #2062 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
Now THIS is a job action.

BEIJING (AP) -- An American executive said he has been held hostage for four days at his medical supply plant in Beijing by scores of workers demanding severance packages like those given to 30 co-workers in a phased-out department.
Chip Starnes, 42, a co-owner of Coral Springs, Florida-based Specialty Medical Supplies, said local officials had visited the 10-year-old plant on the capital's outskirts and coerced him into signing agreements Saturday to meet the workers' demands even though he sought to make clear that the remaining 100 workers weren't being laid off.
The workers were expecting wire transfers by Tuesday, he said, adding that about 80 of them had been blocking every exit around the clock and depriving him of sleep by shining bright lights and banging on windows of his office. He declined to clarify the amount, saying he wanted to keep it confidential.
"I feel like a trapped animal," Starnes told The Associated Press on Monday from his first-floor office window, while holding onto the window's bars. "I think it's inhumane what is going on right now. I have been in this area for 10 years and created a lot of jobs and I would never have thought in my wildest imagination something like this would happen."
Workers inside the compound, a pair of two-story buildings behind gates and hedges in the Huairou district of the northeastern Beijing suburbs, repeatedly declined requests for comment, saying they did not want to talk to foreign media.
It is not rare in China for managers to be held by workers demanding back pay or other benefits, often from their Chinese owners, though occasionally also involving foreign bosses.
The labor action reflects growing uneasiness among workers about their jobs amid China's slowing economic growth and the sense that growing labor costs make the country less attractive for some foreign-owned factories. The account about local officials coercing Starnes to meet workers' demands — if true — reflects how officials typically consider stifling unrest to be a priority.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2063 on: June 25, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
I don't see that ending very favourably. Big props for their cajones, though. I guess it's easy to have a big pair when you have nothing to lose.

In a considerably less inspirational story: http://beijingcream.com/2013/06/two-young-girls-starved-to-death-in-nanjing/

I knew a few social work majors in Beijing, and they told me that China is starting to make social work and social welfare a priority. When you see stuff like this, it can't happen fast enough.

Stuff like this happens in Canada, the. U.S., Britain, Oz and so on, too...but there are agencies to deal with it, and they USUALLY catch it before it goes this far. Very disturbing news, this is.

« Reply #2064 on: June 25, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
Re the Chip Starnes story. Not that it couldn't happen as it does so often in China, I've seen it. But my spidey senses tell me there's something amiss here. I think Mr. Starnes is playing this up a tad. I could be wrong and I have zero proof. It's just a hunch and I've learned to trust most of my hunches.

Hunch was wrong about the wife before she became the ex-wife   ahahahahah

« Reply #2065 on: June 25, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
I don't see that ending very favourably. Big props for their cajones, though. I guess it's easy to have a big pair when you have nothing to lose.

In a considerably less inspirational story: http://beijingcream.com/2013/06/two-young-girls-starved-to-death-in-nanjing/

I knew a few social work majors in Beijing, and they told me that China is starting to make social work and social welfare a priority. When you see stuff like this, it can't happen fast enough.

Stuff like this happens in Canada, the. U.S., Britain, Oz and so on, too...but there are agencies to deal with it, and they USUALLY catch it before it goes this far. Very disturbing news, this is.

After reading that, you want to punch somebody with a crowbar. Why do they do this shit?
I'm glad they didn't go into details

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2066 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2067 on: June 25, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »
I've read in a few places that the factories are moving to Thailand and Vietnam because Chinese labour practice just isn't exploitative enough these days

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2068 on: June 25, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
I've read in a few places that the factories are moving to Thailand and Vietnam because Chinese labour practice just isn't exploitative enough these days

it's simple economics... too expensive to manufacture here now. RMB is way up compared to other currencies and "Made in China" costs an average of 30 to 40% more than a few years ago
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #2069 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
How much does quality factor in? We bought some clothing when we went to Thailand and they still look almost new. Stuff we get that are made in China have a shorter shelf life. I imagine that if someone/company could buy from either China or another SE Asian country with similar pricing, which would they choose. I'm guessing with all the negativity, China comes third at best