What's in the News

• 2873 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1995 on: May 29, 2013, 03:15:59 AM »
No they just lost the latest appeal to deport him
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/27/abu-qatada-theresa-may-loses
And of course when I say suspicious Muslim dudes I am not talking about clothing but rather words and actions eg telling people to kill all the kaffirs,and spreading all kinds of hate in various ways.This is what many of the preachers do.I mean attending training camps in other countries and then returning to the UK.
I mean encouraging others to carry out violent acts.THose kind of things.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

A-Train

« Reply #1996 on: May 29, 2013, 03:45:34 AM »
And of course when I say suspicious Muslim dudes I am not talking about clothing but rather words and actions eg telling people to kill all the kaffirs,and spreading all kinds of hate in various ways.This is what many of the preachers do.I mean attending training camps in other countries and then returning to the UK.
I mean encouraging others to carry out violent acts.THose kind of things.

Well, that's good. But I might expand the term "Muslim" to "Human" and apply the same reasoning.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1997 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
So someone's going to have to work out whether hate speech is bad because it is or because of its effect. That said, neither of them will be especially easy to criminalise, and I think maybe both miss an important point. And it's a particularly important point with countries like China looking on. Free speech is valuable as a pragmatic principle, not as a principle per se. Free speech is the easiest way, said the original theorists, to guarantee good speech. Dumb speech, which is also afford by free speech, was meant to be recognisable as such. Which is to say, there were supposed to be other social mechanisms alongside free speech. The society was supposed to be healthy not because of free speech but in tandem with free speech.

Long story short: institutional responses that look outward toward hunting and containing "terrorists" need some foundation on inner institutions that guarantee the value of the society doing the hunting. Among other reasons, if that guarantee doesn't exist, then countries like China will happily follow the example and do hunting of their own.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1998 on: June 08, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
Terrible news down here in Xiamen this morning-happened last night though
http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news31206.html
Apparently they are investigating it as a criminal act??
very very tragic  ananananan

« Reply #1999 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
Piglet I just saw this
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/investigators-say-fire-that-gutted-commuter-bus-killing-47-appears-intentionally-set/2013/06/07/ce2b1a26-cfd5-11e2-8573-3baeea6a2647_story.html

Apparently they've ID'd someone who may be responsible. Just horrible. :(

Edited because on second read, it is unclear as to whether they have the suspect in custody or not.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2000 on: June 09, 2013, 12:32:02 AM »
The local word is that the guy was identified as having "gasoline soaked blankets" but was also dead.. it's all conjecture of course,no solid data.

xwarrior

« Reply #2001 on: June 09, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »
They have confirmed that the arsonist died in the burning bus:

Police in Xiamen have identified a suspect they believe responsible for the bus blaze that killed 47 people on Friday.
On Saturday, authorities named Chen Shuizong, a native of the city in Fujian province, as the prime suspect. He was among the passengers who died.
According to the city government's information office, police raided Chen's home and discovered a will "in which he revealed despair about his life".
He was identified through footage recorded by a security camera on the bus, a police officer close to the investigation said on condition of anonymity.
He said initial findings suggested at least 10 liters of gasoline was used to start the blaze.
Flames swept through the rapid transit bus as it traveled on an elevated road between the city's Caitang and Jinshan stations at about 6:20 pm.
The vehicle had been carrying about 90 passengers, Huang Wenhui, spokesman for the city government, said on Saturday.
He confirmed the death toll and said 34 people had also been injured.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-06/09/content_16596340.htm
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2002 on: June 09, 2013, 10:59:29 PM »
Anonymous Hacker Who Outed Steubenville Rapists Facing Longer Jail Time Than Actual Rapists

Deric Lostutter, the hacker who exposed the Steubenville rapists, may end up facing more jail time than the rapists themselves.

In the Steubenville rape case, Deric Lostutter was the hacker who lead the Anonymous Op that exposed the suspects’ tweets, videos and Instagram photos that revealed them bragging about the incident, which ended up being crucial pieces of evidence in the case against them.

As a “thank you,” Lostutter could face up to 10 years behind bars for his connections to the Internet hactivist collective known as Anonymous.

Mother Jones reports that the FBI quietly raided Lostutter’s home over his connection to the Steubenville rape case. Known as “KYAnonymous” online, Lostutter spoke about the raid, his true identity and his motives for the first time in an exclusive interview.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/692028/deric-lostutter-steubenville-hacker-facing-longer-jail-time-than-actual-rapists/#YkRyKF1W1f3J7c36.99

http://www.inquisitr.com/692028/deric-lostutter-steubenville-hacker-facing-longer-jail-time-than-actual-rapists/

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2003 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
Anonymous Hacker Who Outed Steubenville Rapists Facing Longer Jail Time Than Actual Rapists

Deric Lostutter, the hacker who exposed the Steubenville rapists, may end up facing more jail time than the rapists themselves.

In the Steubenville rape case, Deric Lostutter was the hacker who lead the Anonymous Op that exposed the suspects’ tweets, videos and Instagram photos that revealed them bragging about the incident, which ended up being crucial pieces of evidence in the case against them.

As a “thank you,” Lostutter could face up to 10 years behind bars for his connections to the Internet hactivist collective known as Anonymous.

Mother Jones reports that the FBI quietly raided Lostutter’s home over his connection to the Steubenville rape case. Known as “KYAnonymous” online, Lostutter spoke about the raid, his true identity and his motives for the first time in an exclusive interview.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/692028/deric-lostutter-steubenville-hacker-facing-longer-jail-time-than-actual-rapists/#YkRyKF1W1f3J7c36.99

http://www.inquisitr.com/692028/deric-lostutter-steubenville-hacker-facing-longer-jail-time-than-actual-rapists/

We are not doing this right.

« Reply #2004 on: June 10, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »
Guess that means the newspaper columnist is going to get 20 years for reporting it

bibibibibi

Bass Ackwards
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #2005 on: June 10, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »

Guess that means the newspaper columnist is going to get 20 years for reporting it

It's getting harder and harder to tell which country is home and which one we're guests in.

« Reply #2006 on: June 10, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

The 29-year-old source behind the biggest intelligence leak in the NSA's history explains his motives, his uncertain future and why he never intended on hiding in the shadows
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2007 on: June 10, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »

It's getting harder and harder to tell which country is home and which one we're guests in.

Make a plot of the freedom/control ratio vs. time over the last 20 years.  Slap up the USA (or UK or wherever else) vs. that Big Silly place we all love.  Is it just me, or is the accelerating US downward trend about to cross the gradual upward trend of the other?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2008 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

The 29-year-old source behind the biggest intelligence leak in the NSA's history explains his motives, his uncertain future and why he never intended on hiding in the shadows

My latest hero and cause for occasional optimism.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #2009 on: June 11, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »
What would Bradley Manning and Eric Snowden do?