Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1965 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
Clones can spell, I can't
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #1966 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »
Fake Condoms 

brand names like Durex, as well a popular Chinese brand known as Jissbon  [edit: love that name] – a somewhat unfortunate translation of the name “James Bond.”

I think it's a VERY fortunate translation.  The only one better would have been "jizzban"
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1967 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »
Clones can spell, I can't

All of I can spell, but sometimes too many hands on the keyboard causes difficulties.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1968 on: May 24, 2013, 01:38:33 AM »
Two loonies behead a soldier in London and say that it was because of the UK's involvement in wars in Muslim lands, the news calls them terrorists and loads of racism kicks off

Aside from the shocking nature of the crime, I'm pretty annoyed about how everyone is calling it terrorism just because they were Muslims. When this sort of thing happens and it's Christians it's not terrorism....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22634468

« Reply #1969 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:11 AM »
Two loonies behead a soldier in London and say that it was because of the UK's involvement in wars in Muslim lands, the news calls them terrorists and loads of racism kicks off

Aside from the shocking nature of the crime, I'm pretty annoyed about how everyone is calling it terrorism just because they were Muslims. When this sort of thing happens and it's Christians it's not terrorism....

When it's Christians, we call it a Crusade

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1970 on: May 24, 2013, 03:06:53 AM »

As far as anyone knows it was just two insane people, there's been nothing in the news that points towards terrorism. One of the killers said that he was doing it because he was a Muslim but if he's not linked to anything then he's not a terrorist he's just a civilian who did a brutal murder.
The media and government always say that we need to get rid of this association with Islam and Terrorism and then whenever a Muslim does something violent it's automatically terrorism

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1971 on: May 24, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »

I thought we called it "spreading democracy"?

« Reply #1972 on: May 24, 2013, 05:07:38 AM »
I thought we called it "spreading democracy"?

No, that's the 'mercans. Christians are crusaders, just ask us.

So this religious person leaves the sanctuary and splendor of his country. Goes to a western heathenistic imperialistic country. He hates what that country's government is doing. So he decides to kill a soldier because "that" soldier is committing crimes against his God and people?

It may be a small isolated incidence, maybe a racist (for religious reasons) act. Terrorism? I could see it. Wiki says:

Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror); are perpetrated for a religious, political or, ideological goal; and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians). Some definitions now include acts of unlawful violence and war.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1973 on: May 24, 2013, 05:15:00 AM »
The definition of terrorism in the USA was established in the first Patriot Act. It is extremely broad: any crime that threatens life, blah, blah. Could be speeding.

A-Train

« Reply #1974 on: May 24, 2013, 05:15:17 AM »
Sure 'nuf.  Who ever calls the Oklahoma City bombers terrorists? Even though they killed 168 people and openly declared intentions to overthrow the government.  But this goes on everywhere, no?  As George Carlin said, "Israeli murderers are called commandos. Arab commandos are called terrorists".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1975 on: May 24, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
Yeah, 99% of the time it's a meaningless label. Any definition being used by the US govt against whoever could be applied *to* the US govt.

A-Train

« Reply #1976 on: May 24, 2013, 05:19:31 AM »
The definition of terrorism in the USA was established in the first Patriot Act. It is extremely broad: any crime that threatens life, blah, blah. Could be speeding.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1977 on: May 24, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »
Regardless of whatever definition you use, this was a deliberate act 

Terrorist attacks are usually carried out in such a way as to maximize the severity and length of the psychological impact. Each act of terrorism is a “performance” devised to have an impact on many large audiences. Terrorists also attack national symbols, to show power and to attempt to shake the foundation of the country or society they are opposed to

The size is not the issue nor the determination of the moniker. These guys selected a soldir, a political tool and spewed religious rants along with the "get out of my country stuff"

= terrorism

A-Train

« Reply #1978 on: May 24, 2013, 05:52:57 AM »
I guess I'm naive.  I just see them as selfish acts of petty revenge.  If it makes the national news, it rises to the level of terrorism.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1979 on: May 24, 2013, 07:19:01 AM »
The guy in the Youtube clip was from a Catholic Nigerian family. That's all I know about his background but from his strong London accent I'd guess that he grew up in London.

I suppose it does follow the definition of terrorism in that it was the use of extreme violence to make a political statement but until we know whether it was a one off or part of a bigger plan I think they should hold back on calling it terrorism.
I think people generally understand terrorism as something like Al-Qaieda or IRA where the atrocities are coordinated by a network or organisation, if it's just an isolated person or persons acting independently then it's a bit different (although I read today that Al-Qaieda's strategy has turned to trying to get isolated people to do mental things on their own steam)