What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1770 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
you know, there are times when I think there is something fundamentally right about the chinese tradition of kids looking after their parents when the parents are too old to work. Wouldn't you love to see these two at the mercy of their kids?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1771 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Better idea - a new online game called "Torment the Baby Sellers".  Characters must do all the same stuff as in typical online games, but when they do well, they get a few minutes of video feed of the cell where these 2 losers are kept chained up.  Then the players can press buttons to send electric shocks, sprays of ice water, etc.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #1772 on: August 02, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1773 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:10 AM »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1774 on: August 03, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019409/Joshua-Davies-16-dared-Facebook-friends-murder-Rebecca-Aylward.html

another story that makes me ashamed to be young and british

Bridgend is the same town where those teenagers had that suicide club about 5 years ago

« Reply #1775 on: August 03, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
James - its the Daily Mail. A tragic story, but written for sensationalism rather than accuracy.

« Reply #1776 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14376722

Grumblemumble...it would seem I have to get an iPad...this definitely tops the Top Nerd News of the Week agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

A-Train

« Reply #1777 on: August 04, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
Isn't this ever great news for Dalian and the Pacific Rim.

China's 1st aircraft carrier in Dalian to start sea trial in Aug 2011

http://www.expatsky.com/News/chinas-1st-aircraft-carrier-in-dalian-to-start-sea-trial-in-aug-2011.html
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1778 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:22 AM »
Great! Just the kind of news I'd expect for my new job in Dalian!  ababababab

« Reply #1779 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
China's drive to teach English stalls in the west

Investment in the country's poor western provinces is intended to create wealth and stem migration, but mismanagement is stifling access to the language of economic opportunity
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1780 on: August 04, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
Thanks for posting that, CP.
My company had (and lost) a contract with a large client out west. I was told it was because a rival orgaization had developed a more comprehensive curriculum (specifically SAT training, which was something we were working on at the time), but it might just have been the usual story.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1781 on: August 04, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
Isn't this ever great news for Dalian and the Pacific Rim.

China's 1st aircraft carrier in Dalian to start sea trial in Aug 2011

http://www.expatsky.com/News/chinas-1st-aircraft-carrier-in-dalian-to-start-sea-trial-in-aug-2011.html

Oh good.  Sea going aircraft carriers instead of pond-based ones. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Monkey King

« Reply #1782 on: August 25, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
Female Chinese students return from France floozies: judicial scholar

There's nothing like a bit of enlightened social commentary from a respected academic for sparking some debate.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #1783 on: August 26, 2011, 02:17:43 AM »
Female Chinese students return from France floozies: judicial scholar

There's nothing like a bit of enlightened social commentary from a respected academic for sparking some debate.

I loved the defense given by the "judicial scholar":
Quote from: A total dickhead
"You know that in my class, I only influence fewer than 100 people, but your microblog will influence some millions of people," he wrote. "And it will surely affect my reputation."

« Reply #1784 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
Would you sue your own mother? I wanted to once, I think I was 9 at the time

Children sue mom for ‘bad mothering’ – and lose
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/children-sue-mom-for-bad-mothering-and-lose/article2146171/

The birthday card showed a pile of tomatoes spread across a table. All were the same except for one that rattled with those googly eyes they sell at craft stores.
“Son I got you this Birthday card because it’s just like you … different from all the rest!” the message read inside. “Have a great day! Love & Hugs, Mom xoxoxo,” added Kimberly Garrity.

Typical mom behaviour, right?
Wrong, say two grown children who included the card as one exhibit in an exceptional lawsuit that accused Ms. Garrity of “bad mothering.”

Steven Miner II, now 23, and his sister Kathryn, now 20, have spent two years hounding their mom, seeking more than $50,000 for “intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.” One of the lawyers representing them was their father, who is also Ms. Garrity’s ex-husband.