What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1725 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
South Korea won the 2018 Winter Olympics. I like to watch the events at a reasonable hour

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/candidates-wait-ioc-decision-2018-games-122554258.html
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1726 on: July 07, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »
South Korea won the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Won the Olympics???  Do you mean they got ALL the gold medals? mmmmmmmmmm

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1727 on: July 07, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »
That would happen if NORTH Korea were to host the games   kkkkkkkkkk

old34

« Reply #1728 on: July 10, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
Thigh-high white, vinyl go-go boots. Check.
Low-ride purple velvet hot pants w. low slung white pleather belt. Check.
Bare-Midriff, low-cut purple velvet top. Check.
A shiny floor-to-ceiling metal pole. Check.
Meet a new breed pole dancer in China.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/2011-07/08/content_12865805.htm

In advance:
You're welcome grannie mae.
Apologies to el, xw, dd, and lfd if the link wasn't what you expected.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #1729 on: July 10, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
Mrs Late wants to know why I don't try that.  kkkkkkkkkk 
She says it would give me a flat belly in no time at all. I told her that we just got the trampoline, it will be a while before I'm ready for a new fitness toy.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #1730 on: July 10, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
Meet a new breed pole dancer in China.
OMG aqaqaqaqaq... that's just effin' wrong!  kkkkkkkkkk
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1731 on: July 11, 2011, 01:42:09 AM »
I find it quite delectable (NOT)  afafafafaf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1732 on: July 11, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Thanks old34. agagagagag I saw a guy on "Australia's got Talent" doing a pole dance and he was talented. uuuuuuuuuu  I find those white boots a bit distracting! ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1733 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
I'm billing you for pain, suffering, and emotional trauma. aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1734 on: July 11, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
Here, something to help chase those horrible images from my brain.

http://www.echinacities.com/in-pictures/1550_1.html#pic
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1735 on: July 12, 2011, 01:25:54 AM »
 kkkkkkkkkk

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1736 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Make sure you shred your bullet train tickets after use

Yet another systems design flaw with our multi-billion dollar high-speed rail?: "People have found that the bar code on the train tickets can be decoded by software downloaded from the Internet. Information such as passport or other ID numbers, which are partly concealed on the tickets, will then be revealed. In a recent test, a passenger surnamed Zhou downloaded software to a cell phone and scanned the bar code with the cell phone camera. Information including the departure time and the passenger ID number began to show on the cell phone 'within seconds,' Zhou said. Industry insiders said there's no way to prevent the decoding." [Shanghai Daily]

« Reply #1737 on: July 16, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
In (making love afafafafaf) credible! I'm not private about a lot of stuff, but I don't want my passport, etc info floating about  llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

Lunatic Moderation Note:  Yeah, it incredible, but let's remember to express our love in harmony with the Peoples Bureau of Train Ticket ahahahahah
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:51:21 PM by Escaped Lunatic »

« Reply #1738 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »

« Reply #1739 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
Another invention that will change the world:

'Magic' toilet research funded by Bill Gates foundation
CBC News Posted: Jul 20, 2011 4:43 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 20, 2011 6:31 PM ET 

Gates Foundation: Let's Reinvent the Toilet

Cheap, waterless toilets that can turn human waste into clean water and fertilizer within 24 hours are being designed and built by eight engineering teams around the world, including one from Canada.

The goal of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's $3-million Reinventing the Toilet Challenge is to bring affordable, sustainable human waste treatment to the 2.6 billion people in the developing world — about 40 per cent of the world's population — who have no access to flush toilets. That, in turn, is expected to reduce the number of children who die each year of diarrheal diseases — a figure reported by the Gates foundation to be around 1.5 million.

"I think it's a really important problem," Yu-Ling Cheng, the director of the University of Toronto's Centre for Global Engineering, said Wednesday. She is leading one of the eight teams that won a $400,000 grant to turn their proposed toilet design into a prototype within one year. All eight prototypes will be displayed at a showcase in Seattle next summer.

Reinventing the Toilet Challenge
The Reinventing the Toilet Challenge was announced by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Tuesday in Kigali, Kenya, at the 2011 AfricaSan Conference, which focuses on sanitation and hygiene. It was among $42 million in new grants from the foundation targeting sanitation and clean water.

The other teams selected to participate are:

California Institute of Technology in the U.S.
Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
Eidgenössische Anstalt für Wasserversorgung, Abwasserreinigung und Gewässerschutz (EAWAG) in Switzerland.
National University of Singapore.
University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.
WEDC at Loughborough University in the U.K.
Stanford University in the U.S.

The toilet cannot be hooked up to water, sewage or power lines and must cost less than five cents per user per day. It must convert urine and feces into clean water, mineral ash fertilizer, carbon dioxide and energy.

It sounds as though the goal is to "create a magic toilet," Cheng acknowledged in a video interview posted on the University of Toronto website.

But her team has already come up with a design that they think will address all the criteria. It includes components that:

Dry the waste without chemicals, using a physical process.
Disinfect it using ultraviolet light.
Filter the liquid using a membrane.
Smoulder the solid waste "like charcoal briquettes in a barbeque."
"They're all very inexpensive," Cheng said.

She added that she can't provide too many more details in order to protect the potential intellectual property value of the designs, so businesses will have confidence they can profit by manufacturing them.

While the project doesn't yet have any business partners, Cheng said she received some inquires about the project Wednesday after the news first hit the media.

'It turned our thinking upside down'
The University of Toronto was one of 21 schools invited to submit a proposal. Prior to the invitation, most of the engineers involved had never thought about toilets before, Cheng said.

A boy stands at a public toilet at Kibera slum in Nairobi. Noor Khamis /Reuters
"It turned our thinking upside down," she added, "because if you're designing for something in the First World, you don't even think that you wouldn't have power and you wouldn't have water."

The ability to treat waste within 24 hours is also important because most existing "green" toilets rely on composting, which takes a long time.

"While the human waste is sitting around, it will attract bugs, vermin, bacteria will grow and it's not a healthy situation," Cheng said. It's a particularly bad problem in crowded areas such as urban slums or areas where heavy rains can cause flooding that spreads human waste.

Besides the waste processing itself, the group also needs to makes sure the toilet is safe and robust.

"What if some kid throws a toy in there or decides to play with it?"

Developers also face cultural challenges. For example, Cheng said, people who grow up using an open field or a stream as a toilet may find it strange to use an indoor facility.

The team plans to do field tests of their prototype in Bangladesh within the next year to ensure their design is culturally appropriate. Cheng said a radical new toilet design could benefit far more people than just those in the developing world.

It could be used at campsites or outdoor events such as festivals and concerts. Or it may even have wider applications.

She said the way First World nations, such as Canada, treat human waste "is kind of ridiculous when you think about it." Water clean enough to drink is used to flush human waste away, then transport it long distances for sewage treatment.

"All that is very wasteful in terms of both money and energy. It actually means a lot of carbon emissions," she said. "Maybe once we come up with a toilet that really works, we wouldn't need this network of water and sewage in order to treat our human waste."
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com