What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1485 on: October 09, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »
I know how dangerous mosquitoes are, but would never have guessed if asked what the most dangerous animal was.

The kids probably couldn't guess either because a mosquito is an insect not an animal.  ahahahahah ahahahahah
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #1486 on: October 09, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
I love fox lies news. Right up there with CNN (Motto = its better to be first than right)

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/872729--newsmangled-media-blooper-of-the-week?bn=1

They said that the city of Los Angeles already ordered 10,000 jetpacks for its police, paramedics and fire departments! Seems to be a small error
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

xwarrior

« Reply #1487 on: October 17, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
For some reason some of this resonates - actually,from where I sit in my apartment in Shaanxi, most of it does.

"Magnasanti" - the Largest Possible Sim City

Those who have tried their hand at Sim City 3000 will be interested in this video of what is claimed to be the maximum size city possible.  “Magnasanti” has 6 million residents, and required three years to construct.  Vincent Ocasia, the creator, notes that while it is a maximal size city, it is not a utopian paradise:

Technically, no one is leaving or coming into the city. Population growth is stagnant. Sims don’t need to travel long distances, because their workplace is just within walking distance. In fact they do not even need to leave their own block… Suffocating air pollution, high unemployment, no fire stations, schools, or hospitals, a regimented lifestyle – this is the price that these sims pay for living in the city with the highest population. It’s a sick and twisted goal to strive towards. The ironic thing about it is the sims in Magnasanti tolerate it. They don’t rebel, or cause revolutions and social chaos. No one considers challenging the system by physical means since a hyper-efficient police state keeps them in line. They have all been successfully dumbed down, sickened with poor health, enslaved and mind-controlled just enough to keep this system going for thousands of years…

http://www.viceland.com/blogs/uk-games/2010/05/10/the-totalitarian-buddhist-who-beat-sim-city/
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #1488 on: October 20, 2010, 02:13:03 AM »
China Anoints Its Next Leader

China's Communist Party appointed Vice President Xi Jinping to a key military post, cementing his status as heir apparent to president and party chief Hu Jintao and removing much of the uncertainty surrounding the country's leadership succession.

from http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-china.html?refresh=on
- Bette Midler

BrandeX

« Reply #1489 on: October 21, 2010, 06:09:53 AM »
I have a novel idea. Perhaps they could ask "The People" which one of them they'd like to be the leader instead?

« Reply #1490 on: October 21, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
 bibibibibi Gah! Why didn't I think of that?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1491 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:45 PM »
I have a novel idea. Perhaps they could ask "The People" which one of them they'd like to be the leader instead?

We tried that in America, and it hasn't been working out so well for the last few decades.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1492 on: October 22, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
Do what they do on Pitcairn's Island, take turns. At current population numbers, everyone would have a day as leader once every 3,561,643.83 years   bfbfbfbfbf
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1493 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
I moved a post from this thread- on the One Child Policy- to the Upstairs version of this thread.

Please: Don't Rile The Homeys. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

xwarrior

« Reply #1494 on: October 31, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
RUGBY

Australia 26      bxbxbxbxbx

All Blacks 24      bobobobobo

Well done Aussies - great effort by your team !!!
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1495 on: October 31, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »

'the people' represented by business?

i read a really good analogy about the american regime. it's turkeys choosing christmas or thanksgiving

i for one welcome our new chinese overlords. they give us hot women and jobs which our western overlords can't
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:20:21 AM by kitano »

« Reply #1496 on: October 31, 2010, 02:45:50 AM »

i read a really good analogy about the american regime. it's turkeys choosing christmas or thanksgiving

axaxaxaxax  I'd extend the metaphor: the Democrats are Xmas: at least there's a chance they'll eat ham.

i for one welcome our new chinese overlords. they give us hot women and jobs which our western overlords can't

When you're on, Kitano, you're on.  bjbjbjbjbj
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1497 on: October 31, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
When you're on, Kitano, you're on.  bjbjbjbjbj

xi lai....

A-Train

« Reply #1498 on: October 31, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

I think the Tea Party is providing a third "celebration".  The St. Valentine's Day massacre.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #1499 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »

They do.  Less than half answser the question.  And now that corporations are considered "people" with regard to political contributions, they speak louder.  It's even more true now that money walks and bullshit talks.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck