What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1455 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
Don't these guys ever learn? I'm surprised the damn things don't contain lead or melamine.

Shhh... those are the secret ingredients that add to the flavor.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1456 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
What's with high profile sports stars? When you're world famous, eventually the news will break out. This time: Wayne Rooney

idiot
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

xwarrior

« Reply #1457 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »
from China Law Blog

China-Hong Kong Flights Just Got Cheaper.
Posted by Dan on September 16, 2010

Flying to Hong Kong from the Mainland has always been surprisingly expensive. But no more. According to the China Economic Review, China Budget airline, Spring Airlines, has just announced that it will be pricing its Hong Kong-Shanghai route at as low as RMB398 (US $59), roundtrip, "less than a third of the current lowest air fare." It will be interesting to see how Cathay Pacific and the various China "big" airlines respond to this.   

Does anybody know if Spring Airlines is operating out of other airports?
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #1458 on: September 18, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
Spring Air is based in Shanghai, so it flies to and from Shanghai.  If they are cheap enough it is not unreasonable to fly via Shanghai, to where you want to go.  We flew with them via Shanghai in the winter of 2008, when we made our trek to snowbound Shandong Province.

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.

bxbxbxbxbx

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1459 on: September 18, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
What they aren't telling you is that "Spring Air" is very literal.  They have to wind-up the rubber bands before takeoff. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #1460 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »
I'm about to book a ticket on something called "Lucky Air". 
Fill in your own joke.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1461 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
Fill in your own joke.

I'm holding out for "Relaxing Flight with Happy Ending Airlines"  afafafafaf
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1462 on: September 22, 2010, 05:13:31 AM »
Fill in your own joke.

Okay, I will . . .

on the radio, they only play Air Supply's version of In The Air Tonight
 aoaoaoaoao

A-Train

« Reply #1463 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
They're a wholelly-owned subsidiary of "Wing And A Prayer Air".  Formerly, Miracle Airlines.  "If we get you there safely, it's a miracle".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1464 on: September 28, 2010, 05:01:02 AM »
You just know the late night talk show dufusses will have a field day. Jimi Heselden the owner of the company that makes the Segway scooter died. He rode a machine over a cliff and into a river.

Curious how this will affect the stock

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1465 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »
You just know the late night talk show dufusses will have a field day. Jimi Heselden the owner of the company that makes the Segway scooter died. He rode a machine over a cliff and into a river.

Curious how this will affect the stock

I had to check the news to make sure this one wasn't just a web rumor.  It's true.  Everyone may now take 30 seconds to laugh at his ironic demise.  ahahahahah

Of course, had he been using any other form of transportation, that would also be grounds for mocking his demise (if only he'd been on one of his Segways).  His only way out would have been to die in a non-moving situation.

If you haven't ridden one of these, give it a try sometime.  They are great fun.  Just try not to drive off a cliff.

I wonder if the inventor of the Segway will manage to avoid a similar fate as the guy who bought the company?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1466 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »
Someone should crunch the numbers: how dangerous are Segways compared to other modes of transport?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

xwarrior

« Reply #1467 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »

Someone should crunch the numbers: how dangerous are Segways compared to other modes of transport?

"n the Segway safety case review, Dr Mary Pat McKay, professor of emergency medicine and public health at the George Washington University, counted 41 Segway injuries between April 2005 and November 2008 among patients who attended the George Washington emergency room.

"Several cases involved the rider unintentionally striking an immobile object, including a park bench, a signpost, a light pole, and a tree,” the article reads.
Ad Feedback

Ten of those cases were admitted to the hospital and four were taken to intensive care. No one died but patients suffered serious facial trauma, fractures and brain injuries.

Separately, in 2004, a 59-year-old man reportedly died after falling off a Segway."

...""Segways are fun but obviously they're best on solid, even ground. As soon as one starts doing off road on anything you enlarge the risk ratio."

I think if you go off the edge of a 9m cliff on any vehicle there is a chance you may not come out unscathed
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1468 on: September 29, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
Several cases involved the rider unintentionally striking an immobile object, including a park bench, a signpost, a light pole, and a tree,” the article reads.

Imagine the damage if the rider ntentionally strike immobile objects

I think if you go off the edge of a 9m cliff on any vehicle there is a chance you may not come out unscathed

This may now be gov't ordered to be stamped on the sides of the machines

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1469 on: September 29, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
I believe the death was while cruising around on a new "off road" model.

Of course, those injuries involving driving into unmoving objects are simple driver error.  The same thing happens with bicycles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc.  Like with bicycles, driving into a light pole or bench is more likely to damage you than the object you hit.

This may now be gov't ordered to be stamped on the sides of the machines

That should be mandatory for all modes of ground transport, including shoes (and tattooed or branded on the feet of those who don't use footwear).

"WARNING:  Using this form of transport to go off the edge of a cliff may cause severe bodily injury or death.  Do not attempt to move from one place to another while tired or under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.  In the event you are injured or killed, seek medical and legal assistance immediately."

EscapedLunatic.com