Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies

A-Train

Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
It's a real problem. If you're a manager who doesn't know the language you have to depend on a local who is bi-lingual. And, in China, he aint gonna be loyal to YOU in the long run. He's probably calling you "fish-head" behind your back inside of a month.

Imagine being sent to a subsidiary here that's in a total, financial mess and trying to untangle the ritualized rat's nest of lies, obfuscations and lengthy silences that passes for communication. Even if you knew the language, what's unsaid is more important and, most often, focused questions are met with that Chinese, thousand-mile stare. Meanwhile the big shots back home can't understand why you "can't get to the bottom of a simple problem" and wonder if you've lost your magic. Shit, I had a hard enough time with this sort of thing when I was sent to Canada. And those people are honest.

I'm one of the people in my office in the role of the "bilingual local". The Chinese people see me as a foreigner and a stooge for the bosses. My American bosses see me as untrustworthy and obviously in collusion with those sneaky, manipulative Chinamen.

It's a crappy position to be in.

Don't envy you. Somewhere in there is a legitimate, wholesome career path. I wish you all the best navigating it.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:10 AM »

Shit, I had a hard enough time with this sort of thing when I was sent to Canada. And those people are honest.

Being Canadian, I must say this is not true.

yli

« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »
Quote from: Stil

Typical Canadian modesty. Of course Canadians are honest.

A-Train

« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »

Shit, I had a hard enough time with this sort of thing when I was sent to Canada. And those people are honest.

Damn. Another lifeline to sanity, cut off at the ledge.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
I'm one of the people in my office in the role of the "bilingual local". The Chinese people see me as a foreigner and a stooge for the bosses. My American bosses see me as untrustworthy and obviously in collusion with those sneaky, manipulative Chinamen.

Perhaps you are a foreign stooge who is also in collusion with those sneaky, manipulative locals? ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

yli

« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »

Perhaps you are a foreign stooge who is also in collusion with those sneaky, manipulative locals? ahahahahah

It never hurts to play both sides!

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
Have run into some commonwealthers who really, really hate USA merkins. Really hate me. No fun being on the receiving end of that.

The foreigner death stare.

Considering the high percentage of flakes, a bit disappointed that the liars have always been boring or malicious instead of occasionally entertaining. Lacking balance for some reason over here.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
Have run into some commonwealthers who really, really hate USA merkins.
Well, who could  love an expensive Made-in-the-USA pubic wig??  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
As much as it tortures my soul to endorse anything that George says, bkbkbkbkbk
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »
Have run into some commonwealthers who really, really hate USA merkins. Really hate me. No fun being on the receiving end of that.

Considering the high percentage of flakes, a bit disappointed that the liars have always been boring or malicious instead of occasionally entertaining. Lacking balance for some reason over here.

I found that EVERY foriegner I've every met eventually says something stupid and incredibly insulting towards EVERYBODY
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »

I found that EVERY foriegner I've every met eventually says something stupid and incredibly insulting towards EVERYBODY

And this is different from everyday life by everyday people everywhere, how?

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »

Yeah, It's tough. Sometimes I'm not in the mood, but even then I'll still make every effort to say something that will annoy everyone.

A-Train

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »

Yeah, It's tough. Sometimes I'm not in the mood, but even then I'll still make every effort to say something that will annoy everyone.

Well, that just stands to reason.  A shot's a shot.  Hard to figure which is more satisfying.  A home run when you're in the zone?  Or a double when you're struggling just to make contact?  Personally, so long as it's a hard shot up the middle, I'm a happy guy.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:05 PM »

My point was don't single out the Commonwealthers who hate Americans, nor vicy - versy
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
Yeah, I dunno. I don't want to focus on a bad experience I had. It was just surprising to be coming from a native English speaker because all the others from his country I'd met during prior travels had been the *most* laid back people in the hostel, etc.

I was supposed to room with this guy for two weeks (it turned into six) and when I was taken to the apartment he'd arrived in a few hours earlier, he refused to shake my hand and I got a very bad vibe. I should have trusted my instincts, but I actually couldn't believe my own feelings since it was the first time I'd ever felt hate directed at me. He verbally confirmed my first impression several times and I tried to blow it off. Denial, denial, denial.

Lesson learned: what people say is important.

Over the years in China, I met a few others from his land that obviously felt the same way about people like me, although I wasn't living with them. I've extrapolated from my experiences that this is a recurring proclivity for people in his country, so blah, blah, blah.

Let's just say that now I know, to some extent, how a Japanese might feel living in China.