Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2013, 03:07:57 AM »

People who register on a message board then stop posting great and wonderfully articulated articles
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2013, 03:25:06 AM »
It may have been stated previously, but after reading 7 pages, I skipped to the end. In no particular order:

Expats who crap on other (English) countries because they don't "talk English real good as themselves"

Expats who crap on other poorer countries. I would like to visit North Korea. I was asked why in the world would I ever want to go there. I told her if she needed to ask, then she will never understand. She doesn't speak to me any more (thank God)

Expats who crap on China just because their country is better. Its different here and its not for everybody

Expats who crap on other expats only as a show of domination yet have no knowledge or experience about anything. Again I was told how stupid I was for having a motorcycle for 2 years. "Oh, I'll never ride one, you should stop now!" If you don't want to then that's your business. I'm old enough to make my own mistakes

Expats who take themselves either too seriously (I'm the world's greatest ESL teacher.)

or

Expats who don't take themselves seriously enough (I'm the world's greatest teacher, all I need to do is show up because I'm a young, cute foreigner.)

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
I don't know if these have been mentioned in the 14 pages (can't be arsed to read it all) but it drives me insane when other expats borrow my books and tools... and don't fuckin' return 'em.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

yli

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
There are many expats, especially European ones, that seem to value alcohol above all other activities, such as eating, drinking (water) and maintaining one's personal dignity and hygiene. I do not understand this mentality.

gonzo

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

People who register on a message board then stop posting great and wonderfully articulated articles
People who sign up on forums such as this, then never post!
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

gonzo

« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
There are many expats, especially European ones, that seem to value alcohol above all other activities, such as eating, drinking (water) and maintaining one's personal dignity and hygiene. I do not understand this mentality.
"Alcohol" isn't an activity. The consumption of it is. I didn't notice any particular Euro trend in my time. Brits, we Aussies, and North Americans do their fair share, and yes, there is a work/life balance that often needs to be addressed. Bear in mind that many expats are escaping from unemployment, the ex got the house etc. In China they find they have a good local income, are generally accorded respect by their students, the booze is so cheap........too many factors to include. So being too judgemental isn't helpful.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
"Alcohol" isn't an activity. The consumption of it is.

This leaves out some other alcohol activities.

Collecting it, convincing others to consume too much, speculating on which is fake and which is real while shopping, etc.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

yli

« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
"Alcohol" isn't an activity. The consumption of it is.

This leaves out some other alcohol activities.

Collecting it, convincing others to consume too much, speculating on which is fake and which is real while shopping, etc.

It's a lifestyle!

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
I don't have any issue whatsoever with anyone who wants to get shitfaced, pie-eyed, three sheets to the wind, blind stinking drunk, whatever. Just don't call me at 7AM the NEXT day and ask me to cover your REGULAR SCHEDULED CLASSES   llllllllll

Nor do a want a call from some stupid-visor asking me to cover and they'll owe me a favour that will never be repaid   asasasasas

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »
It is true though that in SOME expat circles there is a certain amount of pressure to imbibe of the alcoholid beverage to the extent that you are sometimes regarded as "peculiar" if you don't join in. I have come to enjoy the odd tipple beer,wine quite often but this has been a gradual journey. When I was a student I hated it and felt pressured to join in to the extent that I sometimes said I was on antibiotics so as not to have to get rounds in to keep up with everyone. Whereupon everyone would exclaim "Oh your poor thing!". I can count the number of times I have been completely inebriated as in legless, on one hand.Can't say I enjoyed it an awful lot. A nice social drink or three,fine.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

yli

« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2013, 02:41:20 AM »
I run in a young, professional circle where people have high income, high stress jobs working for multinationals. China is apparently still a hardship posting for these folks and they've been compensating by partying way too hard. I either need to stop bucking to peer pressure or find new friends because I find myself drinking rather heavily lately, if only to keep up appearances.

I think they imbibe a lot more than many of you guys, who are older (but still young at heart, don't worry), more experienced, have settled down here for good. Many of you have family lives including spouses and children and I'm still at the age where most people in my peer group are dissatisfied if they fucked less than 3 girls that weekend. Certainly, being younger and more reckless tends to lead to more drunken benders than if you have a wife and kids to go home to.

I'm not trying to be judgmental mind you, but I may have spoken in haste and overgeneralized. Certainly not all expats party too hard all the time but it's certainly a part of the landscape in the Middle Kingdom.

« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2013, 03:06:03 AM »
...China is apparently still a hardship posting...

Marketing Consultancy Idea #3213

Cut your budget through mandatory "acculturation training" for all overseas postings - offer available to depressed economies only.  Guaranteed to go down well with HR and that one guy on the board whose kid has a degree in anthropology and believes that buying the right person a bottle of Moutai is a prudent and reliable strategy for increasing share prices.   

yli

« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11:59 AM »
I'm a stupid man. Please explain how mandatory "acculturation training" would cut the budget.

« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
I'm a stupid man. Please explain how mandatory "acculturation training" would cut the budget.

Instead of paying people an allowance for an overseas posting, multinational companies should send people down to their HR department where a person in a funny skirt tells them that to do business effectively in Asia they need to adapt to the new cultural context and if they miss their expense account then they are not only terrible business people but also racist.  

[edit]

Of course, as a consultant, you are charging $200 and hour for giving this advice - if you can't get paid for insulting people then frankly I don't believe in Capitalism any more!  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:29:31 AM by bobrage »

yli

« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:43 AM »
I think such training should be mandatory regardless of the presence of an expense account. I've seen expats in a bunch of nations that are one step from putting on a pith helmet and going out to shoot natives.