Canuck's and Aussie's...need your input on your literary heritage

• 40 replies
Re: Canuck's and Aussie's...need your input on your literary heritage
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
That is an execllent poem for this class  agagagagag agagagagag I am still trying to find a full version of Swift's poem about a highwayman going to be hanged... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
 agagagagag Cheers to you! Very pleased to have said summat useful; note the 'ain't said much yet' tattoo on me for'ead...

The one about the highwayman rang a pretty dusty bell in my brain pan, so i did a quick scan and I found this old thingy.  http://www.stand-and-deliver.org.uk/poetry/highwayman_noyes.htm ... It is about a highwayman who dies at the end but not by hanging. Alfred Noyes is the writer.  It's an oldie but a persistent one or I would not have been forced to read it once upon a time (early 80's) in a three room junior high school in the middle of bloody nowhere. All that said, it did not stir me to read and reread like the Queen of devastating poetry, Herself, the Atwood. 

Here's a boatload of Swift http://www.online-literature.com/swift/poems-of-swift/10/ , but it wasn't hard to find so I suspect you've come across it already in your hunting.

Your class sounds like it will be flush with fantastic stuff though.  I hope your students do themselves a favour and surprise you!   ababababab
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Nah, wasn't Noyes poem I was looking for, I have that already. It was "Clever Tom Clinch Going to be Hanged" agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 02:33:11 AM »
"...Take courage, dear comrades, and be not afraid,
Nor slip this occasion to follow your trade;
My conscience is clear, and my spirits are calm,
And thus I go off, without prayer-book or psalm;
Then follow the practice of clever Tom Clinch,
Who hung like a hero, and never would flinch."

Oh-yah.  bfbfbfbfbf

More good stuff!  agagagagag

"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »
I only wish the course would last longer...so I could make them read Ainsworth's "Jack Sheppard", Fielding's "Jonathan Swift" Bulwer-Lytton's "Eugene Aram", Scott's "Rob Roy", excerpts from Pyle's "Robin Hood", Defoe's "Moll Flanders" and so many more  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood might be interesting for your students.

Oryx and Crake by the same author is another thought-provoking fiction set in the future (I seem to recall that Atwood rejects the term science fiction), and to my mind is a more enjoyable book.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Perhaps I'm getting a little off-topic here, but if you're doing Bulwer-Lytton, why not give them the beginning of Paul Clifford (it was a dark and stormy nigh) and have them re-write it?

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
Perhaps I'm getting a little off-topic here, but if you're doing Bulwer-Lytton, why not give them the beginning of Paul Clifford (it was a dark and stormy nigh) and have them re-write it?

There's a Bulwer-Lytton contest for the worst opening for a novel
http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

One of my favorites is a detective category winner: She walked into my office wearing a body that would make a man write bad checks, but in this paperless age you would first have to obtain her ABA Routing Transit Number and Account Number and then disable your own Overdraft Protection in order to do so.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
Because it is not that kind of course. Trust me, I cannot make lessons for this training center based on student participation. I will be lucky if one out of ten actually reads anything...but the idea of using the beginning of "Paul Clifford" is excellent...might use that one in my uni class instead agagagagag agagagagag

gonzo

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Rule #1, never start a story with "It was.......".
Apparently Charles Dickens didn't hear that advice, because "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" worked pretty well!

On Oz literature, Alice Pung, a Cambodian Chinese refugee, lawyer turned writer's "Unpolished Gem" is great reading, though it may be difficult for Chinese students, not to mention culturally confronting. It's a largely autobiographical account of her growing up in Melbourne between two cultures.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:16:56 PM by gonzo »
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
Pashley, I am a big fan of the B-W fiction contest. Next semester I'm going to try to persuade my E department to institute a similar contest. Maybe for worst answer on an exam?  We already have a globalization essay contest though, so it might be a hard sell.