Things have changed for me.

• 18 replies
Re: Things have changed for me.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:45 AM »
^ Mixed experience with songs. Their tastes definitely go to milquetoast Chinese pop and Western equivalents, like Justin Biber.  ananananan I don't expect them to actually LIKE anything I play, though some of them couldn't resist El Condor Paso (they are human, after all).

I've played one metal song so far, because it's so apropos. "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest is a short song (without even a decent guitar solo = the shame) that's great for introducing the topic of retribution or rehabilitation… One day I'll find an excuse to play the much better, "The Ripper".

I definitely wouldn't talk about the noob winner, myself (SOME paranoia might be healthy) especially because I think his selection represents a bit of a move to make China look bad. There're plenty of great books punching the living crap out of the US or our former lord and master, Herr Shrubbery. Now, more power to whoever had the huevos rancheros to teach something in the top 5 of volatile topics in the country, but I wouldn't take that risk if I could just talk about something else that might hit on the same ideas.

I'm actually struggling a little teaching "The Logical Song" (You'd think it would be awesome for teaching, wouldn't you?) because of the words: liberal, radical, and fanatical. The meaning about being crushed by the educational system also needs to be watered down like a nuclear reactor.

One suggestion with songs is to do gap fill, definition matching, and find an excuse to play it a few times so the students have a chance of it getting past their anti-non-pop filter. Then you might be able to get them to sing it as well, as long as you do. Kind of fun singing "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE. Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!"

I might try "Sympathy for the Businessman." For some reason that song used to really irk me, but so did "Breakin' the Law."

Still think songs are a tad risky. Gotta' think it through what you're gonna' do.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

xwarrior

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:11:11 AM »
I have a 'music' lesson with most of my classes. As I do not change much  bgbgbgbgbg I shoved my lesson plan over to a new thread:

Pop Music lesson - for one period on a rainy day
http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=6174.0
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

jpd01

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:43 AM »
Oh I didn't mean I teach heavy metal in class. I was just citing something that made me happy, I have a student that really loves music and it's a joy for me to introduce new music to her and get some back.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Borkya

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
I will use more music with the courses this year. Because I really hope to grab their attention a bit more. At least if i can spark some interest in music, they will enjoy themselves and be actually doing some work ;)

I do an occasional feature called "What's on Borkya's ipod?" and as soon as I write it on the board the whole class starts clapping. I think they really like learning more about western music, even if they don't like a lot of it. Especially when you can pull some great discussion questions out of it. In the past they have talked for 2 hours over just one song! You just gotta pick the right song is all.

(Where is the love by the Black Eyed Peas is another good one. A lot of discussion questions can come out of that.)