Android Market/ Google Play

• 15 replies
Android Market/ Google Play
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:35 AM »
Android users...

Have you noticed that certain things are just not available on the Marketplace when in China? Actually, lots of things.

Words with Friends is one example.

I'm guessing certain apps are banned because they have chat boxes built in that the authorities can't monitor.

fox

Re: Android Market/ Google Play
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
you can get an app that tells the market that you are in another country therefore allowing you to download it. 

but yeah, it can be annoying. 
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
you can get an app that tells the market that you are in another country therefore allowing you to download it. 

but yeah, it can be annoying. 

Oh? do you know the name of that app?

fox

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
market enabler

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
ah just found that app and you need a rooted phone. rooting is something I'm not prepared to try, since I paid so much for this phone. bummer  ananananan

Borkya

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:13:12 PM »
Do u use a Very Pleasant Nicely?

I just turn it on, then I go to the US itunes store and I can download anything no problem. Or, if your phone has a Very Pleasant Nicely you could probably do it direct from there.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »

I just turn it on, then I go to the US itunes store and I can download anything no problem. Or, if your phone has a Very Pleasant Nicely you could probably do it direct from there.

Yeah I do have one of those. The Market doesn't work like that though. It's linked to your phone and your service provider, so it knows which country you are in. Sucks!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:17:02 AM »

Is the iTunes Store blocked for you? I don't need to turn on anything to download from the Canadian Store.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:28:40 AM by Stil »

Borkya

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »

Is the iTunes Store blocked for you? I don't need to turn on anything to download from the Canadian Store.

No, it's not blocked, but when I search for something at the App store without my vee pee ann turned on it automatically goes to the china store and sometimes when I try to download something it tells me "not available in your country. Please go to the american app store" or something like that, but I can never figure out how to go to the american store without my veepeeenn So it's a little annoying. I thought maybe that was part of Arnold problem.

old34

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »
To change stores, scroll all the way to the bottom of the iTunes Store front page. You'll see a small flag in a circle. That's the current store you are in now. Click the circle and a page full of flags pops up. Choose the flag for the store you want to go to.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

fox

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
ah just found that app and you need a rooted phone. rooting is something I'm not prepared to try, since I paid so much for this phone. bummer  ananananan
its real easy to do, and you wont do your phone any harm. infact you can unroot it very easily.

many many step by step guides for most phone models are available.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »
its real easy to do, and you wont do your phone any harm. infact you can unroot it very easily.

many many step by step guides for most phone models are available.

Funnily enough, my phone got rooted last week without my knowledge.

I took the phone to the place I bought it to ask if they could remove the Twitter/Facebook apps as they try to update all the time and can't behind the great fwall. Next day got my phone back and it had been rooted!

I tried to use the market enabler and it didn't work, sadly. have you got it working Fox? Can you suggest any good things to get now it's rooted?

fox

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
xda-developers.com will give you all the possibilities.

Clos

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »

Funnily enough, my phone got rooted last week without my knowledge.

I took the phone to the place I bought it to ask if they could remove the Twitter/Facebook apps as they try to update all the time and can't behind the great fwall. Next day got my phone back and it had been rooted!

I tried to use the market enabler and it didn't work, sadly. have you got it working Fox? Can you suggest any good things to get now it's rooted?

If you haven't found another solution, do this.  It's the proper way to make market enabler work.

1) Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
2) Find Google Play Store
3) Click "Stop Process" then "Clear Cache"
4) Open Market Enabler and change your region to your foreign land of choice

If you just use Market Enabler without doing this, it won't work.  I have absolutely no clue why the devs don't build this into the app.