• 22 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Forget English, I'm gonna teach the Waltz
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »
Students ordered to dance into new semester
(Shanghai Daily)
Updated: 2007-06-04 14:31

China's Ministry of Education has ordered all students in primary and secondary schools around the country to learn to dance and to perform a dance every day at school starting from the new term beginning on September 1.

Students dance during a break in a high school in Beijing.
Students dance during a break in a high school in Beijing. [china.org.cn]
Boys and girls in senior high schools will be required to learn and to dance the Waltz.

The ministry will promote the adoption of seven sets of student group dances nationwide in the coming semester, Beijing Morning Post reported today.

The ministry said that the time for dancing will be during class breaks or in extra-curricular physical exercise time.

The dances won't take the place of physical exercises during the break but will be an addition to existing exercise forms. Each set of dances will last four to five minutes and schools can map out the time for students to dance one or several sets, the report said.

The seven designated dances are "Good Friends," "Sunny Campus", "Little White Boat" for primary schools; "Youth Melody" and "The Yangge Dance" for junior high schools and "The Young" and "The Waltz" for senior high schools, the report said.

The ministry began training dancing instructors this month. The first set of sample performances had been put on video discs and will be sent out to provincial education departments. Each province will call up teachers to learn the dances.

The ministry said that it took two years for experts to create the group dances and to make them appropriate to the physical and mental characteristics of the different age groups of the students.

The ministry plans to bring out a new set of group dances every two years, the report said.

The ministry has ordered students in primary and secondary schools to work out in physical exercises for an hour every day.

Re: Forget English, I'm gonna teach the Waltz
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 01:33:25 AM »
"You WILL learn the dance and you WILL like it, damn it!"  hhhhhhhhhh
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

babala

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:08:41 AM »
I just received an e-mail from the Ministry of Education. They are adding addition dances. I will be teaching the Moonwalk and the Cabbage Patch. Once they get the hang of that, I'm going to teach them to Krump  uuuuuuuuuu
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 02:11:01 AM »
hehe - I bet they'll love those Babs.

How exactly does the cabbage patch go again? ???

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »
Wooohoo! Bush dances!!
Ah, wait a minute! I am using the Australian definition of "bush"....not the bastardized USAnian version.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:14:53 AM »
Heel and toe, Canadian 3 step, Hokey Pokey!!!!!

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:33:53 AM »
Ya gotta luv it ... polka and kolemaika and chattise and samba and ... ??? lap dancing anyone???
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:53:58 AM »
Ya gotta luv it ... polka and kolemaika and chattise and samba and ... ??? lap dancing anyone???

Eagle - you have a private lap dancer.  I doubt if she would approve of you teaching anyone else that dance.  aoaoaoaoao
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 03:00:24 AM »
Tap dance. Step dance. Break dance. Hip dance. Hop dance...  cheexyblonde cheexyblonde cheexyblonde

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:44:10 AM »
Dancing??? What the...why...how...In the name of the Great Purple Pixie, what does dancing have to do with English? clog dancing, the bunny hop, the funky chicken, walk like an Egyptian, lancier, limbo...ohh, the choices are endless.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 03:54:13 AM »
Belly

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:58:02 AM »
............. clog dancing, the bunny hop, the funky chicken, walk like an Egyptian, lancier, limbo...ohh, the choices are endless.

Those choices are hideous! aoaoaoaoao

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:50 AM »
And to think I was hesitating to add my years teaching for Fred Astair and Arthur Murray to my resume. bibibibibi I see more job security in my future.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 04:12:58 AM »
............. clog dancing, the bunny hop, the funky chicken, walk like an Egyptian, lancier, limbo...ohh, the choices are endless.

Yes, they are. Lancier is particularly nasty. Was forced to learn that in high school. I
still have nightmares where the tune plays a significant part. I am sure the Chinese students would appreciate a medley of European folkdances or how about a rippingly exciting
session of Morris dancing or some sort of Native American rain dance or the Dance of the Seven Veils....
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:19:38 AM »

Yes, they are. Lancier is particularly nasty. Was forced to learn that in high school. I
still have nightmares where the tune plays a significant part. I am sure the Chinese students would appreciate a medley of European folkdances or how about a rippingly exciting
session of Morris dancing or some sort of Native American rain dance or the Dance of the Seven Veils....

Side note - make sure they're wearing at least 8 veils  aoaoaoaoao