Quarantining

• 47 replies
Quarantining
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:04:11 AM »
Has anybody come to China recently (or as will be the case with me should it happen, come back) and had to quarantine?
In discussions with an employer and it seemed as though they were saying that I'd have to quarantine in one city for 3 weeks, and then quarantine in the city of my employment (though not on campus) for another 3 weeks.

If anyone has information

1. How much does it cost?

2. Did I misunderstand the whole 6 week thing?

3. Where do we quarantine?

So yes. Just when I thought I'd escaped, they're pulling me back in, but honestly I left 3 years ago because the paperwork was ridiculous, and even without COVID I'm sure a way of making everything more difficult would have been stumbled upon.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Quarantining
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:18:21 PM »
too many different realities for quarantine depending on the city but you're looking at 14+7+7 between Beijing & Shanghai:

14 Days in a hotel of full quarantine
7 Days of regular testing and reporting
another 7 days of regular testing and reporting.

2 friends of mine went through this exact process last month getting back to mainland. They couldn't fly to Beijing so went in through Shanghai, spent the 14+7 part in Shanghai and had a choice of 2 governement approved hotels. they then flew to Beijing and did the remaining 7 at home with twice a day reporting.

Hotel was around 1000 RMB/day but they quarantined as a family with 2 adults and 2 kids.  aoaoaoaoao
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
There is some possibility of a plan for skipping quarantine or reduced quarantine if you are fully vaccinated with an acceptable vaccine.  Of course, different countries have different acceptable vaccines.

Stay tuned.  I'm planning a trip to the US in July or August, so I'll be 100% finding out about return to China quarantines.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »
What I have heard, for south of China at least...

14 days hotel quarantine + 7 days community observation at a home address

If you have home address, you have 24 hours to get there after hotel quarantine. If you don't have a home address, you stay at the quarantine hotel and do your 7 extra days there.

So... "home address"...?

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:54 PM »
My trip is now retargeted for a late October departure.  I'm just hoping the policies settle in a little more firmly by then.

If I'm really lucky, flying in or out of HK might be an option for be by then.  That should put some downward pressure on air ticket prices.  If I fly back to HK, I wonder how the mainland will view a 14 (or 21 if HK revises things) quarantine in HK vs reentering China?

The other option is figuring out the joy of getting the magical green boarding code in the US for a direct flight to China.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
Apparently purpose-built facilities exist in Guangzhou now...

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/29/china/guangzhou-covid-quarantine-center-mic-intl-hnk/index.html

What worries me about this arrangement is what it looks like, an attempt to shift the burden of inadequate infrastructure from all of China onto incoming foreigners. Rather than have a health management system that can service the population, have a wall to keep the mongols out.

I assume covid zero will end as suddenly as the one child policy did, but, similar to the effect of that policy, not before suppressing foreign intake enough that damage is done to the system. we might be looking at a change in work in China as we know it.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
Since quarantine applies to ALL entrants, Chinese and foreign.  I see no hint of shifting a burden in any particular direction.  I even saw some foreigners speculating that the shiny new facility might only be used for Chinese.

I'm hoping to be assigned to the GZ facility when I fly back.  Hotels were not originally designed with quarantine in mind.  At least one case in HK was spread from an infected person in one room to an uninfected person in the next room.  So far, every video and image I've seen pf it online looks nicer than the bulk of hotels I've stayed in (worldwide).

My personal hope is that improved vaccines and testing methods may be enough to reduce quarantine to 1 week.  Jet lag sucks and I'd rather get it over with alone.  A week is sufficient to let me get my internal clock reset and to rest after what are usually very hectic trips.  If it was only 1 week, I could get back to doing more international trips.

If/when China eventually does drop all inbound quarantine requirements, the facility will be mothballed, like the original "See how fast we can build it!" SARS hospitals were.  Those got reactivated when COVID showed up.  Sooner or later, some new airborne disease will happen.  Maybe in a few years.  Maybe in 20 years.  Whenever it happens, any mothballed hospital and quarantine facilities can be brought back online very quickly.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 12:52:33 PM »
Blondie in China. Nice lady. State-sponsored influencer by the look. Did a very nice hotel quarantine in GZ on Youtube. And ordered out for her food. I found that worrying. 2 weeks in quarantine, 3 if coming in without property of your own somewhere, and your food and water is managed how?

One state-sponsored video where the foreigner feeds herself rather than have hotel food is no demonstration that quarantine in general has institutional problems. I just felt a tremor in the force, that's all.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
Food, water, digging around in the nose - that's what I want to know about.

You can't drink from the faucet so is enough bottled water supplied?
Quarantine already costs money so how plentiful and sustaining is the provided food?
CDC says insert the swab no more than 1.5 cm up the front hooter, so what kind of punishment are the techs in China hoping to dole out?

I found 14 days of hotel quarantine in Australia quite relaxing.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 06:20:20 AM »
Between the bottled water and the ubiquitous electric kettle, I'm quite certain dehydration won't be an issue even at the worst quarantine hotel.

I'm also in a WeChat group for incoming expats.  So far, no complaints about lack of food or water.  Not unexpectedly, some people aren't all that fond of all the food choices.  Quarantine hotels do accept deliveries (not sure about the new quarantine facility - If I end up there, I'll find out for sure).  I admit that I am an excessively picky eater, so I'll be bringing along some snacks of my own.  37 Oreos is about 2000 calories.  ahahahahah

So far, all my tests in China (over half a dozen so far) have been in the back of the throat.  Not sure if the test in LA tomorrow will be throat or jamming up my nose.  Guess I'll also find out if quarantine tests are different from routine tests.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
Between the bottled water and the ubiquitous electric kettle, I'm quite certain dehydration won't be an issue even at the worst quarantine hotel.

In water crisis China? Bottled water will be rationed and boiling is good for pathogens, not heavy metals and complex chemical compounds.

It's not worth pretending that China has world class public facilities anywhere.

But then it's also not worth me hysterically overemphasizing failures. I think I'm claiming canary coal mine status though. Quarantine as an institution is hardly a bad thing, but aspects of it in China will prove more than usually offputting, is what I'm whining about this time.

But opinion and personal distaste are not fact.

What I'd actually like to know is how much it costs.

Also, what kind of accounting processes occur? In the unlikely event that a future employer will foot the bill for an incoming staff member's quarantine, it'll likely be as a reimbursement. So what kind of documentation does a fellow get at the end?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 06:38:36 AM »
Happily, Guangdong has less heavy metals potential than some other provinces.  My wife often cooks using water straight from the tap and would serve tea made with that water if we ran short of filtered water.

I do promise to share all the details (good and bad) of whatever facility I'm assigned to.  I'll also let everyone know what it cost and what kind of receipts are involved.

I need to get my suitcases sorted and weighed.  I've already got some quarantine snacks packed and want to see if I have room to squeeze anything else in.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »
After my laptop and an e-book reader, a bar of laundry soap was the most useful item I packed before heading into Oz quarantine. I found Oz hotel quarantine laundry services somewhat too high end and rather too expensive for simple clothes washing. Perhaps purpose built facilities will be more... homey.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »
I'm about to find out.  ababababab
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
I'd like to know the Terms of payment too. Immediate cash or an invoice with a due date? Can it be electronic? A bank transfer? Does it have to be RMB?

In Oz the cost was fixed and included meals. An invoice was issued at the end of quarantine and you had 30 days to pay. Payment had to be in Ozbucks.

Presumably quarantine details vary province to province, and provincial ability to publish information in English varies according to who knows what. But hopefully, one day, someone somewhere publishes an official faq or something. So far the only thing nearing official I've seen has been on airline websites.