What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

AMonk

What Are You Reading??
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:20:31 AM »
As most of you may know, I am addicted to SciFi/Fantasy.  However, I have been doing some heavy-duty reading this past week.  I have just finished On Killing, by LtCol Dave Grossman, which delves into the question of how, and why, (most) people need to be trained into killers.

I have also read Ruben Gallego's White on Black, wherein he details his life as a quadruplegic, cerebral palsy child; an embarassment to his family who was abandoned into the Russian Children's Homes system.

And I am presently in the middle of Not on Our Watch by Don Cheadle and John Prendergast.  This book is advocating grassroots action against the events (genocide) occurring in Darfur, with some practical suggestions.

So....what are YOU reading?

Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:29:50 AM »
Lonely Planet T, a John Grisham (bathroom reading).  I'm taking Tiziano Tersani's "A fortune -teller told me" (travels all through S-E Asia and my "Chinese made easier (in 5 million lessons!)" with me for the train.

Anne McCaffrey is being VERY slack and not writing much, as are most of my favourite authors.  But ... I'll buy myself the new Harry Potter when I get back and have an afternoon of reading boarding school adventures again.

Is he better than "Just William" or the "Famous Five"?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:36:00 AM by Lotus Eater »

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Some Oxford UP socio-linguistics short readings! It's really interesting stuff. One piece is on the conversation gaps that are used in different language communities. It says Americans wait for each other to finish before wading in! This has been my experience with Raoul and Hamish, but certainly not others [no one on this forum, I hasten to add].
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:34:14 AM »
I recently finished -

The Art of Happiness by the DL and Howard Cutler, MD - I was  little let down by this one, his other books are better. (edit per recommendation, sorry)

The Demon Awakens by RA Salvatore - the first book in his Corona world, it was a little steeped in fantasy cliche but still good.

The Highwayman by RA Salvatore - a "prequel" to the above book set in the same world, far superior and I would recommend to fans of the Drizzt saga.

His Majesty's Dragon, Book 1 Temerarie Series by Naomi Novik - this is the best fantasy book I've read in a long time, think Master & Commander but instead of crews on ships they ride large dragons into battle circa the Napoleonic era.  Peter Jackson (LOTR and King Kong films) bought the movie rights to the series.  This was Novik's first novel and it's simply great. 

and now I'm working on -

Shibumi - Trevanian - a spy novel but the main character doesn't like to use weapons or gadgets, translated from Japanese Shibumi means "effortless perfection".

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:47:39 AM by limubai2000 »
The things we touch have no permanence.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 12:37:46 AM »
Yes the DL book wasn't as thought-provoking as I had hoped.  I felt that the author spent way too much time involved in HIS point of view rather than what the DL said.

And it might be safer for the forum if you didn't use those particular words!! cbcbcbcbcb

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »

and now I'm working on -

Shibumi - Trevanian - a spy novel but the main character doesn't like to use weapons or gadgets, translated from Japanese Shibumi means "effortless perfection".

Trevanian does write good books.  I hope you're thoroughly enjoying Shibumi....it's one of those that my son "borrowed" (You know you're not getting this back, don't you?) from me a while ago.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:58:50 AM »
To the last man- by Jeff Shaara. It's about World War 1.

The Satanic Verses - extremely confusing.

Islam, a brief introduction and the Koran - need to know what exactly all the fuss is about with regards to Rushdie's work.

The Complete Stories of Ambrose Bierce.

Vanity Fair by W.M.Thackeray.

And a truck-load of variuos history books. Not to mention the language courses. An occasionally boring job requires lots of reading.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

moon over parma

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »

The Complete Stories of Ambrose Bierce.

Awesome writer!

AMonk

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:08:16 AM »
Sounds like your job is more than just "occasionally" boring, Eric. 

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »
Well, when there is nothing to be translated, the computer system does not allow streaming media and it's a 9-5, one has to make time pass somehow. Besides, I work for the Turkish government and as Turkey is, albeit extremely moderately, Muslim, it makes sense to learn a bit about that faith. Maybe boring was the wrong word to use.. relaxed or stress-free would be better bfbfbfbfbf

MoP, Ambrose Bierce is indeed an awesome writer.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
I enjoy reading Fantasy stuff.
Terry Pratchett's "Disc World", R.A. Salvatore "Forgotten Realms" for example.
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 02:29:29 AM »
I enjoy reading Fantasy stuff.
Terry Pratchett's "Disc World", R.A. Salvatore "Forgotten Realms" for example.

Terry Pratchett is amazing. Can't wait til September when "Making Money" is published. Haven't read a FR novel in years, though I recall I found them tremendously entertaining.

moon over parma

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »
The overnight engineer at the station gave me the book "Killing For Culture" by David Kerekes and David Slater. That's what I'll be digging into soon.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »
Terry Pratchett is amazing. Can't wait til September when "Making Money" is published. Haven't read a FR novel in years, though I recall I found them tremendously entertaining.

Maybe you also know the Demon-Series from Robert Asprin. It is also great. And, of course, the first two seasons of Dragonlance from Margret Weiss & Tracy Hickmann
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
You mean the Myth books? Yep, read them all. Devoured all the Dragonlance books when I was 15. I hear they are making that series into an animated series or movies. Should be interestin.