A Special Greeting For Those Still Outside China (not for the squeamish...)

• 61 replies
note to self..... bladder training for the next eight weeks!!!! That is feral, and GROSS!!!   aaaaaaaaaa
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

Yeah this is pretty bad.  I told my mom and dad before they visited me for the first time... START SQUATTING.  They didn't get it. 

How many of you actually think that this is a better way now or more clean or what.  I felt that way after maybe 3 years in China.  I could read, write or whatever (if there was a light) in these.  No skin touching a thing... I actually preferred these... I mean not this one pictured....ugh.
One and only Chinese/English Comic strip on the web.  See my profile for the website!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
.. a number of medical benefits are attributed to the squat toilet. It has been suggested that the squatting strengthens the pelvic muscles of females, reducing the likelihood of incontinence. Furthermore, it is said that this toilet builds up strength in the hips, and improves breathing and concentration. The upright squatting position also allows wastes to be eliminated more quickly and completely, reducing fecal transit time. Slow fecal transit is a major risk factor for colon cancer. Other studies find that squatting prevents and cures hemorrhoids. Assuming and maintaining the squatting position on a regular basis may also help maintain the flexibility of the knees.

I definitely prefer squatting when I have 'la duzi' - much better.

Not so easy to sit and read though, although in one squat toilet I did see a sign, at eye level, telling people NOT to read!!

Re: A Special Greeting For Those Still Outside China (not for the squeamish...)
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
I agree. "Holding it" is easier said than done.  llllllllll

Amonk, local practice is to face outward.  Usually the sexes are separated.  There will probably be some sort of barrier between where you do your business and the outside world, although it may only be a short wall you walk around.  There are truly horrendous facilities here - as Raoul so kindly shared, but most are tolerable.

"Holding it" is not an ability I have been blessed with.  When you gotta go, you gotta go.  Carry scented tissues and wear hip waders and you'll be okay.

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
Nah, it's easy...I lived in Nanchang for a year and never once used a squatter...lots of bran, rye bread and the ability to run home is all ya need agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 04:07:39 AM »
I have two toilets, one western the other Chinese. I only use the Chinese one. I just dust off the western one for foreign guests. I really don't want to sit. Seems such a terribly filthy thing to do now.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to clean a Chinese toilet.

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
I'm with you, Stil. I spent some time in Beijing, and on campus they had me in a "Turkish toilet" for a while. Honestly, (and I'm not trying to be gross), but they were some of the best "movements" I've had in a long time. I just felt good afterwards. Once, I got the hang of it. Of course, it took a good solid week to get the hang of it, and then build up the courage to go. My favorite quote on the subject: "They require the balance of an acrobat, the stamina of a marathon runner, and the aim of a sharpshooter. I enjoyed none of those talents, and required many hours of cleaning up." Me

They were sometimes not the boon they seemed. I was on a train to Xi'an once and there were two bathrooms. One had a line, the other hadn't, so my friends and I stood in front of the empty one, waiting for it's occupant to come out. After about ten minutes (which we barely noticed, cause we were having a good time), this kid strolled out of the bathroom. His t-shirt was completely wet, and when we looked in after him he had somehow missed the squat toilet, and, well, it was everywhere! We got in line at the other one asap, and didn't really have any problems after that. If you're wondering how me managed on the moving train: There was a bar.
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

Monkey King

Lot of the newer trains seem to have western throne toilets.  You can imagine how filthy they get; give me a squatter over that anyday.  As has been said, at least you don't have to touch anything in the squats.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
i don't mind using squatting toilets, and i agree that it's sometimes better when you have a big load, but no way would i use the public toilets here squatting in full view of everyone and pooping into a filthy hole. even dogs go off to poop if they can

Rin

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
And three years on from the original post and they are still just as bad!

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, I am practicing at home ( i will arrive in china in February) And i really freaked out my roommate.  bfbfbfbfbf
"I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so thats how it comes out"
                                    Bill Hicks

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »
Naaah, I like my approach better.
During my first China experiences back in the 1980s, I realized to my amazement that in China I could suddenly go days, even weeks  without passing anything other than urine...allowing me to avoid the issue altogether. bjbjbjbjbj

I credit sheer horror, breath control, and psychotropic drugs. aeaeaeaeae

Besides, given the way Chinese public bathrooms tend to look and smell, does it really matter which kind of toilet it contains? kkkkkkkkkk aaaaaaaaaa

"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

At least the pics of this toilet does not contain the standard "poo mountain" of many missed and unflushed Dookies!
 :wtf:

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
WOW, just wow. effin wow. OMG, wow.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »
WOW, just wow. effin wow. OMG, wow.

Another adventurous soul boldly prepares to embark on a trip to China! bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com