"Advice" from Chinese friends

• 41 replies

old34

Re: "Advice" from Chinese friends
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »
I'm sure this kind of suggestive question must occur across the country during exam times, would be interesting to know how much? (I suspect not a great deal, presumably people could get in trouble?).

This prof loves to shake people up. He writes the test. There's usually one contentious passage like the TCM one, one passage with lots of numbers (the hardest part for Chinese simultaneous interpreters to handle), and one passage with weird vocabulary. I remember one time, it was a passage about the canals of Venice and when I asked him why, he said he wanted to see if anyone would be able to interpret "gondola" and "Bridge of Sighs" correctly.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
More Clothes!
 bjbjbjbjbj  "You can't be warm unless you've got 5 layers on!"  bjbjbjbjbj
This on a day, home in OZ,shorts and t shirt would be ok. bibibibibi
i,m not crazy, my reality is just different to your's

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »

I love going to a restaurant by myself to eat and read a book or newspaper. However, I have been bugged a few times by waitresses who tell me THIS IS BAD!(I think they mean the reading and eating...then again, maybe they mean the eating by myself mmmmmmmmmm) I have no idea why but it sure as hell doesn't stop me.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
New one yesterday...the gf told me, with assertive foot-stamping to prove veracity of statement, that eating tofu and spinach at the same time is very bad...to which I could only say...errr...what???
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
cold beer is bad for you

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
Don't trust anyone from out west. They'll steal from you, cheat you, and do all kinds of other bad things. Do any of your Chinese colleagues/friends/students actually know anyone from said province? Of course not. Have any of them ever been victimized by said people? Nope. But still, no meat skewer man is to be trusted (unless he's Hui). When I told people I was actually going out west, I received non-stop warnings about how careful I needed to be. While this advice isn't your standard based on traditional beliefs advice, it is still very frustrating.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:34 AM »
When I told people I was actually going out west, I received non-stop warnings about how careful I needed to be. While this advice isn't your standard based on traditional beliefs advice, it is still very frustrating.

Yeah, I get this all the time. I people I'm going to XJ for spring festival, they all say, just like this 'but I think it is very dangerous, you'd better go somewhere else'
then i tell them that my wife is from Xinjiang and they don't know what to say.

Ah. Idiots.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Paul

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »
New one yesterday...the gf told me, with assertive foot-stamping to prove veracity of statement, that eating tofu and spinach at the same time is very bad...to which I could only say...errr...what???

Mum-in-law has a poster on the kitchen wall, issued by some local government department. It's got about 40 pictures of dual-food combinations.
Half of them have a green tick (check) and half have a red cross.
I couldn't recognise some of the foods, but there are all kinds of banned combinations.
As it's a government-issued poster, it must be true.

I have also been advised not to surf the web while eating lunch, as it's bad for the stomach.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
i heard a good one today from a female friend. Coffee is ok for man, but bad for women because if they drink it they wont be able to have babies.

My idea was, wow, what a good method for birth control, pump them full of coffee and you can convince them that now they wont get pregnant so no problem. And they will be fully energized.  uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
Mum-in-law has a poster on the kitchen wall, issued by some local government department. It's got about 40 pictures of dual-food combinations.
Half of them have a green tick (check) and half have a red cross.
I couldn't recognise some of the foods, but there are all kinds of banned combinations.
As it's a government-issued poster, it must be true.

I have also been advised not to surf the web while eating lunch, as it's bad for the stomach.

rather than banning spinach and tofu combinations, I'd prefer if the local government would actually deal with some real food safety issues.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

zero

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
And they will be fully energized.   
And you could do them!

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
And they will be fully energized.   
And you could do them!

old now, but still  bkbkbkbkbk
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Monkey King

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
I could live with most of this stuff if it wasn't just lip-service. 

Most Chinese men smoke and drink, and many women do too in private. 

The number of people who get regular exercise outside of their daily routine or do sports seems pretty small overall.

Many Chinese people these days would rather drive, take a taxi or at least a bus rather than cycle or god forbid walk half an hour into town.

Also most Chinese cooking is loaded with oil and salt, that's the main reason it tastes good!

Ugh, I've just had a spring festival holiday full of lectures about how every single thing I do is bad for my healthy....

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »
Ugh, I've just had a spring festival holiday full of lectures about how every single thing I do is bad for my healthy....

ahahahahah ahahahahah Amen brotha, amen  ahahahahah ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

opiate

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »
I like my father-in-law, his advice is awesome. If I have a sniffle or let a single cough escape..he suggests I drink a fuckton of baijiu, get crocked, then sleep. The wife can't object since the I drink the brown baiju that aged in a jar containing turtles, snakes, twigs, and random strange things which somehow magically transforms it into medicine.

I cough a lot.....

For some reason I can't drink baijiu if I eat a sweet potato though.