Buying older RAM - rant

• 1 replies
Buying older RAM - rant
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:14:45 AM »
My laptop has 4GB of RAM, which I haven't felt the need to upgrade since I bought it six years ago, but I've been thinking recently that maybe I might, so what I'd like is to get a stick of exactly what I have now. The laptop has room for such an addition and if the sticks are exactly the same there's that much less risk of incompatibility.

But.... a 4GB stick of DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) 1.5V made by Ramaxel is just not something anyone can sell me. They all want to give me Kingston DDR-1600 1.3V, which might work, and it might not, and even if it did I'd probably have to buy two and replace the old stick rather than add one...

Both Taobao and Amazon.cn have exactly what I want listed but seemingly by one-off noname sellers without a track record.

Surely there are better ways to buy older generation hardware?!?!?!?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Buying older RAM - rant
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:48:10 AM »
replace the 4GB by 2 new sticks for optimized compatibility...

FYI, there are only 3 companies really makin RAM in the world so even the no-names are basically the same as the brand name, just gotta figure out which one is which
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com