Spouse visa?

• 27 replies

AMonk

Re: Spouse visa?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »
P S B = Public Security Bureau ( = "cop shop")
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
PSB - Public Security Bureau.  Or, in more common terms, The Chinese Police.

I'll leave it to those who broke those rules to tell what happened when they got busted.

Oh wait, none of them ever came back after being taken away for questioning. aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

jpd01

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »
As far as I knew there was always the option of attaching a spouse to your current res permit as your dependant. Does this allow them to work? def not. There are different kinds of resident's permits and the stipulation is always clearly marked on them, ie student worker spouse etc
Most likely it depends on where you are in China and the degree of enforcement of the rules at your local psb (police station) I would say that to get a work permit you would need to invalidate the spousal resident permit and obtain a Z visa and process all the paperwork as normal, at the very least the res permit would need to be changed.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
sounds logical indeed,jpd01
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
And fourthly, what if he does private lessons and gets caught? Do we get 20 years in Siberia, a stiff fine,chucked into jail forever or something in between?

The law in China is that the ONLY people who can give you money is whomever sponsered your visa. If he gets caught, depending on the level (of corruption) of the PSB, he can face a fine (about 5000RMB) and same with you. On top of that, your company could face a fine up to 50,000 and lose any guanxi. Don't expect them to come running to your aid. Finally you could be deported (usually no jail time) and never allowed to return again.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

BrandeX

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
Which related to a company, so for private lessons it is much less likely you'll habe any issues. Can't say I've ever heard of it.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:15 AM »
My husband has a spouse visa (and resident permit) attached to my work visa.  Every year they've wanted more info. The latest was the original marriage certificate, translated and notarized by our embassy.  We got married in Canada and are here on US passports. The gal at the embassy (for the low, low fee of US $50) imprinted our documents with the US seal. She said, "May I ask why you are having this done?" (Evidently not a request she gets every day.)  Just doing whatever necessary to keep the local officials happy. Seemed to work this go-round as there were no last-minute requests for something else.

Your uni should apply for his spouse visa at the same time they process your Z-visa. Bring your official marriage certificate. I don't know what to tell you about the translation/notarization. Last year they accepted a notarization from a Canadian lawyer, but told us we needed to go the embassy route this year. Of course, the embassy doesn't do translation work. We got that done by an agency and then swore (officially) to the embassy gal that it was true. THAT's what she notarized. Got the seal for the Chinese to look at, so it's all good, even if a bit bizarre.
I'm honestly starting to re-think China. So somehow I'd need our Peruvian marriage cert legalised in Peru. And then the baby's birth cert, do they want the Korean one or American one? If it's just a matter of getting stuff legalised in SH, that's one thing, but if I have to send it abroad, that's another. Though, the US embassy doesn't really legalise anything anymore now, do they?
Hoping to move to Suzhou early 2013.

Ruth

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
I don't think you need to get anything done from back home. We tried that because our daughter works in an attorney's office and it seemed easy. It was good enough the first year, but not after that. Every year they wanted more things done. The final word (as of a year ago) seemed to be get the original translated and notarized by the official folk (there are varying levels of these people; make sure you go to the correct one) in China. Take the original and the notarized translation to the American embassy and swear to them whatever they want you to say to get them to put the seal on a piece of paper that you can then give to the person getting your visa.

It took us three years to get it right. This year (our 4th doing things the spousal visa way) went off almost without a hitch. Ms. FAO had to produce our original marriage certificate and all of the above-mentioned notarizations and translations again. (Why the same office doing the same procedure has to see everything again is beyond me, but who am I to argue with red tape?) I said almost without a hitch because the paperwork sat in someone's office for three weeks because that someone didn't know what to do with it. As the impending expiration date drew nigh and phone calls had proven unsatisfactory at producing movement, Ms. FAO went to that office where she  asasasasas and insisted on seeing the boss. They told her the spousal visa couldn't be done.  llllllllll (But there are three spousal visas in my hubby's passport AND they managed to do it last year.) Finally the truth - they didn't know how and didn't want to admit it. Ms. FAO refused to leave until they had called first Guangzhou and then Beijing to find out that they could do it and how to do it.

Expect problems. Work with your FAO. It won't all make sense, but it can be done.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
Ok, as long as I have to get stuff done in CHINA, that's fine. But if I have to get stuff done in Peru or Korea, I'm pretty much screwed.

The marriage cert: ours is from Peru, can I still get it legalised at the American embassy?

I still don't konw which birth cert they want: Korean or American.

HOw much does it cost to get an official translation in CHina?

By the way, what does your husband do on a spousal visa?

Your experience sounds like what happened to a guy on Dave's. Was told to get his married cert done in SH. DId that. Said he had to send it to Indonesia AND Australia and have the CHinsese embassies there legalise it. They gave his wife a three month tourist visa. He's thinking about leaving. I don't blame him.

That's the thing. If I go through all this stuff and then not have it get accepted, I've wasted a crapload of time and money. Its bad enough we have to get three medical checks each and fly all the way to Thailand to get the visas. There's a couple thousand bucks down the drain.

Ruth

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42:23 AM »
HOw much does it cost to get an official translation in CHina?
I don't remember, but it wasn't exhorbitant. Maybe 50 rmb? It wasn't the money; it was the running around and trying to satisfy people who didn't really seem to know what it was they wanted or needed.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
I hear you about running around. IN the end: what visa does your husband have? I'm not sure which box to tick on the application.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
I've got a work-around for you.  Get divorced, bring the (ex)spouse in on a tourist visa, and then get remarried in China. ahahahahah

(sometimes even I don't know if the advice I'm giving is good advice or bad advice mmmmmmmmmm)
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:49 AM »
Well, I might not bring him. He might be going home in Jan instead of April. And the school says I MUST apply in the US or Korea. And Korea said no. SO. . . guess who will be DHLing the passports back home :) Can you still do that?