How's this look? Appendix to contract...

• 8 replies

dasein

• Great Job!
How's this look? Appendix to contract...
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:34:08 AM »
(hereafter Party A) wishes to engage the service to            (Party B) as its foreign teacher. Both parties, in file spirit of friendly cooperation, agree to sign this Appendix, which is a continuous part of the contract, and pledge to fulfill conscientiously all the obligations stipulated in it.

Both parties shall abide by the terms concerned in the papers “The living Conditions of Foreign Experts Working in Cultural and Educational Institutes ” issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts of China.

Ⅰ. The courses that Party B should conduct are as follows:
1) Class teaching (Spoken English, Writing, Listening, Intensive Reading), outside class activities and lectures. They will be calculated by teaching hours (45mins per teaching hour)

Party B shall work for Part A no more than 80 teaching hours per month totally. Extra teaching hours will be paid at the rate of RMB100 for one teaching hour. Teaching hours will be calculated by month and the extra teaching hours will be paid at the end of each semester.

2) Party B shall participate the English teaching, research and relevant academic activities.

Party B is advised to take part in teaching or other related academic activities.
Ⅱ. Party A shall work out the outlines of the different classes and set up the schedules of the classes. Party B shall make out the syllabi for each course and present them to Party A for approval. Party B shall give lessons in the suggested classroom at the given time. When deemed advantageous, Party B may, with the consent of Party A, adjust his or her syllabi and use self-prepared materials, videocassettes or other materials. When Party A evaluates Party B’s work, Party B is advised to offer cooperation.

Ⅲ. Party A shall pay Party B   5,000   RMB monthly ( 6th of the month), commencing from   September 1st, 2008   to   June 30th, 2009  .

Ⅳ. If Party B signs for one academic year, Party A shall offer Party B a return ticket of tourist class to his/her country or equivalent amount of money in RMB and 50 RMB which is the expense of airport construction and 20 RMB insurance; if Party B signs for one semester, Party A shall offer Party B a one-way ticket of tourist class to his/her country or equivalent amount of money in RMB and 50 RMB which is the expense of airport construction and 20 RMB insurance. The Reimbursement will be given to Party B at the end of the contract.

Ⅴ. Party A shall pay Party B 3000 RMB as a travel allowance if Party B signs for one school year and 1500 RMB if Party B signs for one semester. The allowance will be given to Party B at then end of the contract.

Ⅵ. Party A shall pay all the expenses of going through all the formalities, such as residence paper, foreign expert certificate.

Ⅶ.When Party B performs the obligations stipulated in the contract, the lodgings and other facilities provided by Party A are free of charge for Party B’s private use during his/her service in the school, such as a TV set , telephone, e-mails, refrigerator, washing machine, and water-heater etc. Party B shall pay the expenses of domestic and international telephone calls and Party A shall pay the expense of water and electricity every month.

Ⅷ. During the employment, Party B enjoys the paid holiday including winter holiday, May Day Holiday, National Day, New Year’s Day.

IX. As for medical insurance for Party B, during the employment, Party B should provide Party A the relevant medical record and receipts; Party A will pay for the receipts with a total up limitation of RMB750 reimbursement for those who will sign a half-year contract and a total up limitation of RMB1500 reimbursement for those who will sign a one-year contract; the extra part shall be paid by Party B himself/herself.

X.. During the employment, Party B shall be 100% under the circumstance of that the sick leave is no more than 30 days; Party A has the right to cancel the contract if the sick leave is more than 30 days; if contract is not canceled, Party B shall be paid by 70% before his or her return to work.

XI. During the employment, Party B shall ask for private affair leave with Party A’s permission. The private affair leave shall not be more than 3 days, or Party B will be deducted 2-day wages for one more day, and Party B shall make up the delayed periods afterwards; truancy is not allowed, or Party A have the right to cancel the contract.
The appendix shall be signed in the third meeting room of the Administration Building of Changzhou Institute of Mechatronic Technology in duplication in Chinese and English separately. The tow parties shall keep one. Both of the texts have the equal legal effect.

George

• My view of China
Re: How's this look? Appendix to contract...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:05 AM »
Pay from 1st Sept. to 30th June. Doesn't give you any holiday pay! That's not good.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Shroomy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:20 AM »
Yeah, but it's not uncommon.  At least they pay winter holiday.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:43:04 AM »
Standard.  Bog standard.  Plus a few stabs in the thigh:

80 hours per month.  That's a tad high.  (Actually, on reflection, it's very high.  For 5k a month you should be thinking 12-14 periods a week.)

And a ten-month contract, while these days becoming the standard, isn't spectacularly wonderful.  Your residence permit will be tied to your contract, so if you want to move to a different school in your second year, you're looking at 2 months that aren't covered by a legal right to reside in country.

Also, "private affair leave"... that's for when you have a death in the family.  You get three days.

Ask for more money.  Definitely ask for more money.

8,000 will never happen, but in a pure, rainbow-filled world, 5k-per-month contracts have been around long enough that they should have become 8k-ers by themselves.   Especially since the poopy-heads who write these things again and again realised they can clip 2 months off the end of them.

(Lastly, it probably does, but you'd better make sure "lodgings" means "private, furnished apartment, not attached to school dormitories".  And it's becoming necessary these days too to find out just how far away from the teaching site you will be living.  Walking distance, or a 30-minute shuttle bus ride?)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:08:13 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:38:34 PM »
I think it says they pay for water and electricity and party B pays for phone calls.  The bit I don't like is the leave for private affairs.  Not only do you get docked pay, but you also have to make up the classes.  One or the other is fine - not both.

The private affair leave shall not be more than 3 days, or Party B will be deducted 2-day wages for one more day, and Party B shall make up the delayed periods afterwards;

I also think the hours are high. 16 per week is about average. 

The shuttle bus to a second campus is getting to be pretty normal - and is usually free.  Check that if they do have 2 campuses, that it is an internal bus, not a public one, and that it is free.

dasein

• Great Job!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »
Cool. Thanks everyone!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:53:47 AM »
I'm also not worried about living on campus.  There are no restrictions on my comings and goings - I frequently wander back in between 3 and 4 am, waking the poor gate security guards up.  I think universities are pretty used to this.

And there are benefits to living on campus.  2 of my post-grad debate students and 1 young teacher have just left - and we spent a good evening talking about literature and life.  This is fun that you may not have when you live off campus.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:32:39 PM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 04:51:05 AM »
You have to admire the attention to detail, done in a language foreign to the employer.  Awesome!  :-)
"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
- Ford Prefect

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:58 AM »
You might want to clarify about living on campus rules. Cause some campuses DO have strict rules. I remember in Qingdao some teachers had to get back before 11 otherwise they had to either climb walls or stay elsewhere with friends.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »
In my old contract I had points in the appendix.  My apartment was mine. If something was broken they had 24 hours to fix it, if they did not inform me about the water being shut off and I didn't have a shower before class, I didn't have to go.  If I didn't get 48 hours notice of a schedule change, the changes were optional. 

Powerful stuff.  Admirable.  :-)
"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
- Ford Prefect